Quantcast

$$Good Monday Morning$$

J

JRB

Good morning. Broke my frame after a 2 hour road trip, on Saturday. Rode 3/4 of a mile and it snapped.

*not rushing things, but Stosh isn't on the GMT at 9:45 NY time????

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Stosh is on vacation in Maine this week so he probably won't be starting any GMTs ;)

We had an awesome time up in Burke, VT riding the Kingdom Trails (see the thread for full reports). It's always SO much fun to meet up with some monkeys, ride amazing trails and eat (I didn't partake in the drinking festivities, but all appeared to be having a good time with that).

Today I am cleaning up the camping equiptment and the bike and might get out for a spin with Sq-Earl later.

Loco-sorry to hear about the frame...what kind was it and how did you break it?

J

JRB

I know he is going sometime. Didn't know when. I guess I'll take Monday then. You take Tuesday.

J

JRB

TreeSaw said:
Loco-sorry to hear about the frame...what kind was it and how did you break it?
Jamis Dakar XC - sounds like it will get warranted, no problem. I just rode down a 6" ledge. I am too big a sissy to huck, so I think the weld just failed. They brace the newer chainstays. :thumb:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Hey everybody. Wow, I didn't realize it was monday today. :p

Anyways, mostly hungout around the house this weekend with 98+* temps. :( Found out the girl that I like a lot really likes me, lol so thats cool. Anyways, today I'm going up to Yellowstone in about 15minutes and'll be back Friday. SO I'll talk to you all later this week and will post pics when I get back. :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
loco said:
Jamis Dakar XC - sounds like it will get warranted, no problem. I just rode down a 6" ledge. I am too big a sissy to huck, so I think the weld just failed. They brace the newer chainstays. :thumb:
D'oh. We have a friend that rides a Jamis and he hasn't had any problems...yet, but he doesn't huck either. Everytime he tries something new (1-2' drops, steep rollers, bridges, etc), he ends up on his head :devil: Definitely makes for some fun photos though. Hope they can warranty that for you though. So, are you without a bike to ride or do you have a spare?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I Are Baboon said:
I broke a spoke Saturday. How long can you realistically ride with one less spoke in your back wheel?
Hmmm...I broke a spoke in the fall and replaced it right away. It can really f-up your wheel if you're riding techy stuff (atleast that's what I was told). They're inexpensive and pretty easy to replace too. How'd you break it?

J

JRB

TreeSaw said:
So, are you without a bike to ride or do you have a spare?
I have my Dean soft tail single speed. I can ride it for a bit. I should have this bike rolling in 2 weeks, if the shop is right. It's a new shop to me, but he comes highly recommended and seems pretty straight up. The shops in Austin didn't seem worth driving to. :think:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yo! good weekend. neighborhood block party on sat, then hil and i went into the city w/ some friends and saw elvis costello w/ emmylou harris. nice show. didn't do too much yesterday aside from replacing my broken saddle on my DH bike and playing w/ the boys outside. great weather. they were sprinting down the driveway yelling "cannonball" and jumping/lurching/diving into the tiny (~15" deep) plastic kiddie pool.

then i burnt the beef ribs and cut my fingernail off.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
TreeSaw said:
Hmmm...I broke a spoke in the fall and replaced it right away. It can really f-up your wheel if you're riding techy stuff (atleast that's what I was told). They're inexpensive and pretty easy to replace too. How'd you break it?
I was riding down Kitchel and it done SNAPPED. I swear, I was JRA.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Wumpus said:
I wouldn't ride on it at all unless you plan on replacing your rim soon.
I figured as much, seeing how Pigboy asked me if I was going to fix it or walk my bike off the trail. I just decided to ride out, but it was only about 1/4 mile.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I Are Baboon said:
I figured as much, seeing how Pigboy asked me if I was going to fix it or walk my bike off the trail. I just decided to ride out, but it was only about 1/4 mile.
I have a friend who has broken 2 or 3 spokes on his rear wheel and has been riding it ever since. No visible damage or anything, but then again it is a D321, so its fairly beefy. Though to his credit he is about 200 pounds and its on a 243 used for downhilling. You would probably be fine for a while, but I would get that replaced if you can.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Myself, I am doing pretty crappy. To make a long story short, one word, girls. Or girl to be precise.

Anyway, to make myself feel better I am putting in a 400 dollar order to Jenson to finish off the steelhead I just bought. Painted it this weekend and had issues with the clearcoat running and then it took waaay longer than advertised to dry so consequently some fingerprints were put in while taking it down and then marks from the floor where I let it sit over night. Pops and I are going to resolve that though, nothing a little TLC cant cure.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Polandspring88 said:
I have a friend who has broken 2 or 3 spokes on his rear wheel and has been riding it ever since. No visible damage or anything, but then again it is a D321, so its fairly beefy. Though to his credit he is about 200 pounds and its on a 243 used for downhilling. You would probably be fine for a while, but I would get that replaced if you can.
It will permantly warp the rim. Then when you true it up, you start running into problems with uneven spoke tension and constant retrueing. While you could probably ride it for a long time, it becomes a hassle when you could have just spent a buck on a new spoke and saved a lot of trouble.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Morning all.....

I am unfortunately back to work this morning after an incredible 2 weeks in California. This weekend was spent trying to get everything back in order.. paying bills, food shopping, cleaning up the mess we left etc. Its great to be home but I am missing Cali. It was so beautiful there, eventually I know I will live there. I was able to go out on some rides there but didnt do as much off-roading as i intended ( I brought my bike). I did however use it everyday to cruise Venice Beach and Santa Monica so Im glad I brought it.
I am hopefully gonna get out for a good night ride sometime this week ..
glad to hear the vermont weekend went well.. sorry I missed it , especially after having so much fun at MBW

any how, enjoy the day

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Morning!

Derek and I went for a pretty good ride yesterday - it was only the 4th time I've been on my mtb since my surgery so it was a bit rough. I've been on my road bike a ton, but mtbing is harder. It was a great loop, very scenic starting with a big climb that was relentless. The climb was only 5 miles, but it was over 2000' of gain. It felt good to sweat that hard.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It was so friggin dark back in there that I was afraid I was going to miss a turn and fly thousands of feet down the side of the mtn. Moss, moss everywhere.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Heidi said:
Morning!

Derek and I went for a pretty good ride yesterday - it was only the 4th time I've been on my mtb since my surgery so it was a bit rough. I've been on my road bike a ton, but mtbing is harder. It was a great loop, very scenic starting with a big climb that was relentless. The climb was only 5 miles, but it was over 2000' of gain. It felt good to sweat that hard.
glad to hear your coming along nicely... I'm sure its tough make sure you give it time to rest and ice it!!!! :thumb:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
hooples3 said:
glad to hear your coming along nicely... I'm sure its tough make sure you give it time to rest and ice it!!!! :thumb:

Well, I wouldn't say it's nicely. :think: I am getting sharp pains in the top of my knee cap whenever I try to stand and pedal, or bend my knee and put pressure on it (like going downhill). It is frighteningly painful. I've been try to ice it after every ride.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
going for a ride tonight just a 30 Mi roadie no biggie
pumped because I get my lightbar in the mail tonight should look pretty funny on my station wagon other than that just work bla bla bla

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
morning all. Still recovering from MF. My right knee is a little bigger than my left today, but pain is only weakness leaving the body so that's the last I'm going to bitch about it. Looks like rain today otherwise I'll try to squeeze a ride in. I need to build a bike stand so I can put my new fork on tonight or tomorrow, I want to test out it's freeridyness

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
My new bike specs

Frame: Azonic Steelhead painted metallic blue
Fork: Manitou Sherman Flick
Wheels: Sun Singletracks laced to XT disc hubs
Drivetrain: XT derailleurs, LX shifter pods, LX crankset
Other pieces: Avid Mechs, Race Face handlebar, Thomson stem and seatpost, Time pedals, Timberwolf/High Roller tires, Pig headset

Thats what it is looking like, probably going to be on the hefty side at about 33 or so pounds, mostly due to the frame and fork combination, but hey, its better than my 45 pound bullit. I am pumped, the order for parts is in and it should be built up soon provided I can score some avid mechs soon.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Arrrggh! I just put the first scratch in the paint! I have commuted on it once and the first time I lock it up, the bike rack scratches the paint.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
DNA said:
Arrrggh! I just put the first scratch in the paint! I have commuted on it once and the first time I lock it up, the bike rack scratches the paint.
Pretty sweet rig. Is it SS or fixie? It's got two brakes so I'll guess SS...?

Anyway, hope everyone had a good weekend. I was in Downieville for a weekend of racing, other riding, and lots of partying. Stayed up drinking until 2:30 the night before the race, not the best race prep but it sure was a fun night. Surprisingly, I was on pace for a pretty good time and might have hit top five but flatted near the bottom, so that killed it for me. For those not familiar, Downieville is the longest "DH" race in the country, the course record is over 38 minutes and there are a bunch of climbing and pedalling sections, it's a true test of fitness and smart equipment choices. My flat was actually a puncture, not a pinch - just bad luck. Still an awesome weekend...

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
OGRipper said:
Pretty sweet rig. Is it SS or fixie? It's got two brakes so I'll guess SS...?
It came SS, but has a flip-flop hub and lockring. I think I am going to give myself a month or so to get some legs before I switch it to fixie.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
DNA said:
It came SS, but has a flip-flop hub and lockring. I think I am going to give myself a month or so to get some legs before I switch it to fixie.
Nice. Fixed is lots of fun, especially to keep a commute more interesting. I suggest running both brakes when you first switch, not very fashionable :-)rolleyes: ) but makes the transition a lot easier. I have just a front brake on my fixie these days but I try not to use it.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Yeah, fixie is fun. I used to have one that I built up out of a junker bike and it only had a crappy Mafac brake on the front. Some of the bigger hills around here were downright terrrifying.