Quantcast

~~Good Monday Morning!!~~

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
narlus said:
yikes!

i've only ridden the trail 3 times and haven't crashed, but it's always seemed dicey. good stuff; i like that little rock lip when you come out of the woods and under the lift just after it.

rode w/ my monster T for the 1st time in a while. was digging it. :)

seriously, though - some of the trails are in tough shape, and there's not a lot of traffic at the mountain. is it because they are poorly designed, or has the place been getting torrential rains?
I think they see a susprising level of traffic. Open 7 days a week.
Funny I'm going the other way. From my Shiver back to a Boxxer.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's open a lot, but the huge line is for the alpine slide; i've been there three days (one of which was a saturday, the others were monday and friday) and there has been less than 15 riders each day. that monday i rode, my wife and i were the only ones.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
The sky is starting to look like it's going to storm here. Why must it always storm AFTER work? I sit here in this nice enclosed, safe structure for 8 hours with the damn sun shining. It's like mother nature has something against me trying to go for a ride

splat

Nam I am
bluebug32 said:
The sky is starting to look like it's going to storm here. Why must it always storm AFTER work? I sit here in this nice enclosed, safe structure for 8 hours with the damn sun shining. It's like mother nature has something against me trying to go for a ride
Yeah looking at the color radar , yup looks like you are about to get hit!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Sadness...I got stuck in a storm on Fri. and trees and branches were falling all around me. So, I've learned not to even risk it around here anymore.

Though I am wearing a helmet.....hmmm....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Sadness...I got stuck in a storm on Fri. and trees and branches were falling all around me. So, I've learned not to even risk it around here anymore.

Though I am wearing a helmet.....hmmm....
Thats why I wait out in an open field holding my bike over my head when the storms roll thru.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
splat said:
I can tell you this from too many years in college , but mostly from working at MIT, You do not want to be under High power lines during an electrical strom !!!
Proof?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
morning..
have i meantioned working nights sucks??
i was proud of myself today though. i woke up early and went for a solo dirt ride in a Hawsthorne this morning. Luckily it didnt rain. the only problem is I got home at 5 am , left to ride at 8 am. its not 3:30 . and I have to be at work at 6 but hey at least I rode

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
morning..
have i meantioned working nights sucks??
i was proud of myself today though. i woke up early and went for a solo dirt ride in a Hawsthorne this morning. Luckily it didnt rain. the only problem is I got home at 5 am , left to ride at 8 am. its not 3:30 . and I have to be at work at 6 but hey at least I rode
damn man..... nice!

when you done working nights?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
stosh said:
damn man..... nice!

when you done working nights?
thursday night will the the last of it for a bit

btw .. im going to look into Jim thorpe labor day weekend and see if its a go ... are you pretty sure your going?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
so, are you riding this afternoon, despite the storm warnings, Stosh?
No, I'm going to watch Aubrey play softball. It's also her birthday.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
thursday night will the the last of it for a bit

btw .. im going to look into Jim thorpe labor day weekend and see if its a go ... are you pretty sure your going?
I will be riding in Tamaqua, I didn't say I was staying in JT. Although.... if we stayed for Friday/Sat night maybe I could swing camping at JT.
I have a family reunion 20min away from Tamaqua that weekend. My play was to head up to Tamaqua for a few hours on Saturday.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stosh said:
Showing me silly parlor tricks first done by The Ghostbusters means nothing!!!!
Electricity is nothing to be concerned with.

Watch this:

http://205.243.100.155/frames/mpg/XfrmBlast1.mpg

A power arc to ground on the Low Voltage side of this substation creates an arcing fault that behaves like an uncontrollable welding torch from Hell, chewing up everything in its path. Protection hardware either fails to open the High Voltage side or is unable to sense the presence of the fault. Excessive current eventually causes the windings on the substation's power transformer to overheat, severely cooking its innards and causing the mineral oil inside to begin violently boiling. In a vain attempt to prevent the transformer's tank from exploding, pressure release valves vent clouds of superheated oil vapor which subsequently ignites and explodes in a ball of flame. A phase to phase short circuit occurs, perhaps caused by a flashover within the flames or a heat induced fault within the transformer. This causes an expulsion fuse to blow with a flash and a resounding BANG, finally killing power to the substation.

However, by this time, the weakened transformer's tank fails, and it spills hundreds of gallons of flaming mineral oil onto the already devastated substation. Local firefighters can only watch from a distance since there's no way to safely fight this fire, and the substation is a total loss. As one fireman quipped, "Firemen don't mess with their wires, and linemen don't mess with their fires". A very sobering look at the explosive power silently lurking within the quietly humming substation in your neighborhood...

More:

http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm#Longspark