Quantcast

~~Good Monday Morning!!~~

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Float 130 RLC and Mango Chris King.

And thanks, I'll be sure to oblige twice tonight.
I thought you had a Talas. :think: Why the new fork???

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Talas=old, heavy, and short steerer tube. I never used the travel adjust once, so why bother having it?

And speedgoat had a smoking deal: free King headset with fox fork.
Really??? That's interesting. It's hardly heavier, but I can see the merits of a Float over one. If you don't use the adjust, I see your point. I used mine between 4 and 5 inches, so that was nice. Julie is liking it now.

They use the same damper and you can actually totally service a Float yourself, so that is a good part about it. I wouldn't argue for the weight though. It is minimal.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Fruita always=good :)

I had two days of gorgeous mountain biking and weather. We got our new refrigerator moved in, mowed the grass for the first time this spring, drank and ate with some friends....lots accomplished!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
loco said:
Really??? That's interesting. It's hardly heavier, but I can see the merits of a Float over one. If you don't use the adjust, I see your point. I used mine between 4 and 5 inches, so that was nice. Julie is liking it now.

They use the same damper and you can actually totally service a Float yourself, so that is a good part about it. I wouldn't argue for the weight though. It is minimal.
Weight Weenies lists the 03 Talas R at 1780 grams. The claimed weight of the new float 130 RLC is 1643 (claimed). Quarter pound is a quarter pound. Feels different to me, regardless if it is only psychological or not.

But yes, the travel adjust was pointless since it stayed at 5" all the time and the longer steerer was a welcome addition. Besides, I don't feel like dicking around with servicing the Talas anyway. And it helps that I ordered a Float R and was sent an RLC too...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
brungeman said:
the ride sounds great T!

did you have a full house for the Christening? its a pretty cool thing. My sister in law, caught the water the priest was pouring in mid air as it dropped onto Emmas head. it is an amazing shot. post up some pics if you get a chance!
I was happy with the ride and my legs felt great afterward too...even where a tree branch attacked me and gave me a nice deep muscle bruise ;)
We did have a full house for the Christening so that took up most of my free time this weekend. I'll definitely post up some pics when I get home.

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Weight Weenies lists the 03 Talas R at 1780 grams. The claimed weight of the new float 130 RLC is 1643 (claimed). Quarter pound is a quarter pound. Feels different to me, regardless if it is only psychological or not.

But yes, the travel adjust was pointless since it stayed at 5" all the time and the longer steerer was a welcome addition. Besides, I don't feel like dicking around with servicing the Talas anyway. And it helps that I ordered a Float R and was sent an RLC too...
Will you service your own fork, or send it in??? If it is the latter, it doesn't matter about servicing the Talas cartridge. I haven't done mine, and it is fine.

Cool if you wanted a longer steerer. Did you call the shop and tell them they sent you a fork worth $150 - $200 more???

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
loco said:
Will you service your own fork, or send it in??? If it is the latter, it doesn't matter about servicing the Talas cartridge. I haven't done mine, and it is fine.

Cool if you wanted a longer steerer. Did you call the shop and tell them they sent you a fork worth $150 - $200 more???
Nah, I'd send it in to be done. Frankly, I don't really want to send it in anyway.

Got an e-mail back saying the R wasn't available and they sent the RLC just to get the order out. Good guys.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
robdamanii said:
READ THE REST OF THE THREAD AND STOP BEING LAZY.
hey weightween, you posted that after my query.

so how much was the fork and h/s? worth it for that lusty 100g savings? was that same fork you bought a new SIC stem for because the steerer tube was so short?

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Nah, I'd send it in to be done. Frankly, I don't really want to send it in anyway.

Got an e-mail back saying the R wasn't available and they sent the RLC just to get the order out. Good guys.
Cool on them. It's ok to say you bought it because you wanted it, and because you wanted a King headset. That's fine. Post pics. What shop was it??

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
loco said:
Cool on them. It's ok to say you bought it because you wanted it, and because you wanted a King headset. That's fine. Post pics. What shop was it??

Yeah, it was time for a new fork. Almost like a 3 year computer tech renewal cycle. And to get a free King headset is a pretty smokin deal anyway. Pics will be forthcoming.

narlus said:
hey weightween, you posted that after my query.

so how much was the fork and h/s? worth it for that lusty 100g savings? was that same fork you bought a new SIC stem for because the steerer tube was so short?
$479. Damned worth it, since the other one will be sold off, and so will the stem. No great financial loss to me.

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Yeah, it was time for a new fork. Almost like a 3 year computer tech renewal cycle. And to get a free King headset is a pretty smokin deal anyway. Pics will be forthcoming.

$479. Damned worth it, since the other one will be sold off, and so will the stem. No great financial loss to me.
Damn - that is a great deal. Shop???

J

JRB

narlus said:
Ahhh - speedgoat. I have always been leary of them, since so much stuff is out of stock, but sounds like they did right. I don't understand how they make any money doing that with King and Fox, but more power to em.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
loco said:
Ahhh - speedgoat. I have always been leary of them, since so much stuff is out of stock, but sounds like they did right. I don't understand how they make any money doing that with King and Fox, but more power to em.
I know the shop, they are only 1hr + away, and right near a hotbed of summer riding for us! the guys are pretty cool there, and they have a pretty good selection of high end stuff in stock. They do offer pretty good prices, and my speculation is that if you order something, they order from supplier, and because they don't have to have it in stock, they don't have that much overhead. (they are waaaaay out in the country)

for the most part I only know one person that had a problem there, and the salesman that gave my friend a problem, has since been relieved of his duties! :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
'Sup ya'll. Had an awesome weekend. Did a long, hard and fantastic trail ride on Saturday, ate lots of great food and drank lots of great wine with about 15 good friends on Saturday night. Woke up and did it again yesterday. Had to dig very deep. I am hurting but so happy. It's official: It's riding season!!

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Went trail building on Saturday. Mistakenly volunteered to haul wood to make bridges. We ended up carrying 15', 150 pound beams around. After that experience I have the utmost respect for lumberjacks.

Had a fun, but painful 20+ mile ride on Friday on my Bullit. Not fun putting in a ton of miles on a heavy bike set up with flats, one chainring, and a big ole fork on the front.

For this of you in the area, make sure to check out Highland Mountain this summer. It is looking awesome.

J

JRB

OGRipper said:
<snip> I am hurting but so happy. It's official: It's riding season!!
Any chance this'll help you get the stick out of your ass??? ;)

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Good Morning Stosh! :D

Had a great weekend. Saturday we went to the Wild Animal Park and checked out the butterfly exhibit.

Yesterday we took advantage of the great weather and did some trail maintenance and riding.

It's springtime!

Testing out the new berm we built

There is a reason the trail is named Serpent

All in all a good weekend....five hours of trail building and riding means I'm pretty sore today, but it was worth it. Have a good day everyone :)

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Pics of the new schwag for whoever requested it.

Looks good. You suck at posting pics though. meh - who am I kidding??? You suck period. :D

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Was trying to be nice during the slow loading times we're suffering ATM. I could have posted the original 22.5 meg files and broken the table to hell and back.
By "ATM", you're not talking about one of those creepy pr0n sites, are you???

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
22.5MB photo file? something sounds a bit awry. even @ full res/RAW, the largest file my 8MP camera can crank out is ~7MB or so. granted there are larger MP cameras, but are you using a hasselblad/leaf como?

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Why would I refer to anything but?
I was afraid of that. :dead:

*it would have been really funny if you had said,

"Why would I refer to anything "butt". :D