Quantcast

~~Good Monday Morning!!~~

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Ahhh, morning all. Here's to another Monday; the birth of the dreaded week.

I just got back from Alaska yesterday. Wow. What a picturesque state. Almost everywhere you looks is spectacular scenery and/or wildlife. I was truly in awe. Trip report to follow (after the photos are downloaded).

For now, I'll link to this panoramic I did in Denali NP. (it's about 4 megs, fyi)

http://homepage.mac.com/scottmackey/.Pictures/denali_range.png

In bike related news: I haven't ridden for a week and a half, therefore, I am fat. Also, I just picked up a Geko GPS plus a bike mount on ebay; only because I lost my eTrex in Alaska. Doh!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Not much for me this weekend, sat was my daughters 3rd B-day party. Yesterday had brunch with my father in law, cleaned out the boat for 2.5 hours (to take out next weekend). Then my brother hosted fathers day last night and I ate massive slabs of cow:thumb:.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Brian HCM#1 said:
Not much for me this weekend, sat was my daughters 3rd B-day party. Yesterday had brunch with my father in law, cleaned out the boat for 2.5 hours (to take out next weekend). Then my brother hosted fathers day last night and I ate massive slabs of cow:thumb:.
Good to see ya in the GMT.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I rode Attitash on Sun. It was way too friggin hot. I felt ill most of the day. Drank tons of water and kept cramps at bay. After 8 runs called it a day. I was cooked. :dead:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Rockland said:
I rode Attitash on Sun. It was way too friggin hot. I felt ill most of the day. Drank tons of water and kept cramps at bay. After 8 runs called it a day. I was cooked. :dead:
I had a horrible headache after riding Sunday, I couldn't shake it all day.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
stosh said:
Yeah I can't do heat as well as I can do cold. It seems just like yesterday I was riding temps here in the teens. Burrrr!

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
stosh said:
Gotta drink more. For my long ride yesterday, I started drinking water Saturday night and skipped the beer (although I really wanted one) :dead:. Then drank more water before departing, 4 bottles and a Gatorade during, then more when I got back. Result: I was still on the edge of dehydration but no headache and no cramps. :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ian F said:
Gotta drink more. For my long ride yesterday, I started drinking water Saturday night and skipped the beer (although I really wanted one) :dead:. Then drank more water before departing, 4 bottles and a Gatorade during, then more when I got back. Result: I was still on the edge of dehydration but no headache and no cramps. :)
I drink a lot of water, I've never had cramps. It's not the first time I've had a day long headache post ride.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
stosh said:
I drink a lot of water, I've never had cramps. It's not the first time I've had a day long headache post ride.
I've been there too. Usually it's my own fault because I didn't drink enough, even though I seem to drink a lot more than most (on long XC rides I carry a 100oz pack + 2 bottles). Personally, I simply cannot drink too much. I'm thirsty 24/7. Kinda annoying at times.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Just checking in from the lovely state of Maine. The trip up was uneventful. The drive up from Manchester was beautiful. The conference has been very interesting so far. I've learned all sorts of things I'll never need to know about friction and wear of articular joints and teeth.

As Rockland has already been so gracious to report it's freaking hot. It's one thing to be able to go inside AC'ed splendor to get away from it but another entirely when there is no AC. And there seems to be no AC in Maine.

I think maybe I will go drive around in my AC'ed rental car for awhile. Sightseeing - yeah that's the ticket!

Have a great day.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jdschall said:
Just checking in from the lovely state of Maine. The trip up was uneventful. The drive up from Manchester was beautiful. The conference has been very interesting so far. I've learned all sorts of things I'll never need to know about friction and wear of articular joints and teeth.

As Rockland has already been so gracious to report it's freaking hot. It's one thing to be able to go inside AC'ed splendor to get away from it but another entirely when there is no AC. And there seems to be no AC in Maine.

I think maybe I will go drive around in my AC'ed rental car for awhile. Sightseeing - yeah that's the ticket!

Have a great day.
Just go swimming in the ocean, that should cool ya off!!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
stosh said:
Just go swimming in the ocean, that should cool ya off!!

Good plan. Now that I have impregnated my wife I shall have no more need of my testicles. (shrink)

(actually I think I'll go to the local lake).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jdschall said:
Good plan. Now that I have impregnated my wife I shall have no more need of my testicles. (shrink)

(actually I think I'll go to the local lake).
Ha, when I would go to Maine we'd always jump off the docks into the water. Once I would hit I would always wonder why I just did that but... of course... I'd do it a few more times every day.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
douglas said:
on a day like yesterday, you can sweat 20 oz per hour - taht can add up
Yeah I know, I drink a lot when I ride... I'll have to make sure I'm more concious of it.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Ian F said:
I used to get the samething but for the last 2 years I've been using Elete. It makes water work better. I don't cramp nor do I get the headaches.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
I used to get the samething but for the last 2 years I've been using Elete. It makes water work better. I don't cramp nor do I get the headaches.....
I need to be a little smarter about this myself. Yesterday I did my death march 120 mile route, solo, on my mtb with slicks in 95 degree heat. Felt great until I stopped at a gas station to refuel. I forgot my endurolyte tablets so I just fulled up my camelback with gatorade. Gatorade works fine until I have to consume massive quantities of it. All that crappy sugar locked my stomach up. the last 35 miles was a battle to drink and not throw it back up. By the time I got home I had lost 5lbs. :(

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i passed on downhilling yesterday. and went whitewater kayaking instead.
i've whitewatered in canoes before and have lake kayaked for years.
but never ran rapids in one of those sweet little rockets before.

the guy i went with is a very experienced paddler. and it was hilarious to see him enter everything backwards just so he could watch me attempt what he was telling me about as we went along.

i proved to him that you can teach and old dog new tricks.
it just takes turning over and getting wet a few times for it to sink in.

fun doesn't even begin to describe it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Westy said:
Gatorade works fine until I have to consume massive quantities of it. All that crappy sugar locked my stomach up. :(

After years of experimenting with different convenience store hydration methods, I get good results from diluting gatorade with water to about 1/2 or even 1/3 strength. Just enough sugar to keep my energy up but not so much that I get a sugar crash or stomach lock.

But when I am fully knackered at the end of a long ride there is still nothing better for me than the old roadie trick of a "flattened" coke and a snickers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
OGRipper said:
After years of experimenting with different convenience store hydration methods, I get good results from diluting gatorade with water to about 1/2 or even 1/3 strength. Just enough sugar to keep my energy up but not so much that I get a sugar crash or stomach lock.

But when I am fully knackered at the end of a long ride there is still nothing better for me than the old roadie trick of a "flattened" coke and a snickers.
I actually diluted it. I normally use the Hammer Gel drinks, only thing my stomach is able to handle on long rides. I should have just drank water and ate the salt out of the bottom of a pretzel bag:)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
stosh said:
Ha, when I would go to Maine we'd always jump off the docks into the water. Once I would hit I would always wonder why I just did that but... of course... I'd do it a few more times every day.

The lake (Messalonskee) was surprisingly warm. Not at all what I was expecting. Very little shrinkage occured.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Westy said:
I actually diluted it. I normally use the Hammer Gel drinks, only thing my stomach is able to handle on long rides. I should have just drank water and ate the salt out of the bottom of a pretzel bag:)
You and me both. Elete has been perfect for me because any of the normal "energy" drinks lock my stomach in knots. The hammer gel and elete fortified water as been the perfect ticket for me.