Quantcast

~~Good Monday Morning!!~~

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
Sorry to hear Shyrmp...i thought that most airlines offer discount rates when it involves a death in the family. Otherwise...maybe try Hotwire? It worked great for my trip this weekend...hotel-wise.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, Shrymp :(

lastminute.com and cheaptickets.com both have sections for last minute trips... on cheaptickets.com, just look at the tabs on top, it's way down after flights and activities.

Good luck with your trip.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
mornin' Stosh...went to Burlington on Friday for a wedding and came back on Saturday. Yesterday was a real lazy day, I got sucked into watching Band of Brothers on the History channel and spent the better part of 7 hours watching the whole damn thing. Great series but hampered my ability to get things done.

Hopefully riding tomorrow though...

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Shyrmp said:
Good Morning Stosh

I had a good weekend at Mammoth with a good group of friends, but on the way home I got the call from my parents I had been hoping for the last two weeks wouldn't come...my grandmother passed away yesterday afternoon.

Anyone know where to find cheap airline tickets on short notice?

Hope everyone has a good day :)
Do airlines still give bereavement discounts? Call an airline and ask...

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Sat was the good weather day, but was stuck with plenty of chores. Banking, dump, stump dump, got new valve stem installed in a car tire, rebuilt fork, grocery shop.
My weekend ride was yesterday in the deluge. One of the best rain rides I've ever had. No matter how wet & mossy the rock faces were, or slick the roots, I was hooking up and zipping along at a good speed.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Rockland said:
Sat was the good weather day, but was stuck with plenty of chores. Banking, dump, stump dump, got new valve stem installed in a car tire, rebuilt fork, grocery shop.
My weekend ride was yesterday in the deluge. One of the best rain rides I've ever had. No matter how wet & mossy the rock faces were, or slick the roots, I was hooking up and zipping along at a good speed.
I was in Acton, then we went to a BB our relatives were staying at by Standford where we proceded to get eaten alive by the Mosquitoes.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Shyrmp said:
Good Morning Stosh

I had a good weekend at Mammoth with a good group of friends, but on the way home I got the call from my parents I had been hoping for the last two weeks wouldn't come...my grandmother passed away yesterday afternoon.

Sorry to hear that shrymp. I lost my 2 grandpas in the past 2 years, hang in there!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I'm so sorry Heather. That sucks. :(

My weekend was good. Went to my neice's birthday party on Sat. and had a few beers. And then rode 75 miles yesterday. :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh said:
Awesome man!!!

Is that you?
no, that's vicky, wife of sometime RM poster Erci. no pics of myself.

awesome day of riding though...the new linkage kit in the DH bike felt great, everything else was working fine, and the trails were fast and dry. jiminy is a fun place.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
stosh said:
I was in Acton, then we went to a BB our relatives were staying at by Standford where we proceded to get eaten alive by the Mosquitoes.
Sanford? The worst of the bugs was earlier in the season. I'm surprised, it was that bad.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
no, that's vicky, wife of sometime RM poster Erci. no pics of myself.

awesome day of riding though...the new linkage kit in the DH bike felt great, everything else was working fine, and the trails were fast and dry. jiminy is a fun place.
This is typically the best time to ride in the NE. It's mostly dry and the bugs tend to be few.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Rockland said:
Sanford? The worst of the bugs was earlier in the season. I'm surprised, it was that bad.
Yeah, Sandford!

There was a slight breeze then it just stopped before the rain came and just before the rain came the mosquitoes.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Had a great weekend with an old friend from college who's home from California. Hung out, went kayaking....it was great to catch up. Did a little biking Sat. morning. Should be another week of post-work rides :thumb:

Sorry to hear your news, Heather. When my grandparents both passed away unexpectely, I found reasonable tickets on cheaptickets.com. I've also gone through expedia. Good luck.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
bluebug32 said:
Had a great weekend with an old friend from college who's home from California. Hung out, went kayaking....it was great to catch up. Did a little biking Sat. morning. Should be another week of post-work rides :thumb:
I want to Kayak! Waa!

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:
I tried to canoe in the stream behind my house, it didn't work to well, it's to dry right now.
nuts!! What if we just put the canoe in the bed of a pick-up and drive by people's lawns with sprinklers?

Actually, if I'm hammered I'll just sleep in it.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
dogwonder said:
Do airlines still give bereavement discounts? Call an airline and ask...
They do. When I was calling around a couple weeks ago, I lost my grandmother too, Alaska Airlines' discount was 15%. The unfortunate part is that discount is taken from the high priced last-minute tickets. I ended up cashing in miles and getting my ticket much cheaper - not really how I'd wanted to use my miles, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
dogwonder said:
mornin' Stosh...went to Burlington on Friday for a wedding and came back on Saturday. Yesterday was a real lazy day, I got sucked into watching Band of Brothers on the History channel and spent the better part of 7 hours watching the whole damn thing. Great series but hampered my ability to get things done.

Hopefully riding tomorrow though...
I actually watched that on HBO when it was originally on. I loved it!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Shyrmp said:
Good Morning Stosh

Shyrmp... I'm so sorry to hear that.
I ran into a similar issue with finding cheap airline tickets after my grandmother's death last year. It seems that no one offers bereavement fares anymore.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Rode a local trail for a first ride on my new rig. I finally finished building her late Sunday Morning, and was itchin' to take her out.

Coming from an '04 SGS Pro, outside of weight issues, the 7point is far superior in nearly everyway.

On a side note, sorry to the chap who lost his grandmother. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

*bling bling*

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Prettym1k3 said:
Rode a local trail for a first ride on my new rig. I finally finished building her late Sunday Morning, and was itchin' to take her out.

Coming from an '04 SGS Pro, outside of weight issues, the 7point is far superior in nearly everyway.

On a side note, sorry to the chap who lost his grandmother. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

*bling bling*

Nice first post and welcome to RM.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Good evening monkeys!

It was a tough day today, really rough. Had to get up relatively early to grab breakfast before the dive boat this morning. Nice ride out to the divesite, then I put my new hoseless air integrated computer to the test. Very nice, and some good photo ops out there too. After the dives, came back and had some lunch, then puttered through Georgetown for a couple of hours. Weather here is pretty gray and rainy today, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

My life is tough man, tough.

Edit:
Sorry about your grandmother Shrymp. Life's a bitch sometimes.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Shyrmp said:
Good Morning Stosh

:( Sorry to hear about your grandmother Heather. I would suggest calling several different airlines as I believe they do offer berevement rates. Otherwise, I have had luck with Expedia in the past. Sometimes the airline sites themselves have good deals on last minute fares too. Best wishes!