Quantcast

&gOOD MORNING&

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
boo this man
boo sports that require so much gear. especially boo them when wife and kids are involved because the complexity, amount of crap "necessary," and people complaining increases 134X.

one of the things i really appreciate about mtb is that, even in our "winter," i throw on a.) shorts, or b.) (occasionally) pants; either a t or a flannel or maybe a rain shell, and go. shoes, helmet, gloves (if below 45 freedumbs) are always in the car. so it's pretty much just throw the bike on the roof and go. simpler is more betterer.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Skiing is a pain in the ass. Expensive (what with kids and programs/lessons especially), awkward around the village, sometimes cold, etc.

But it is totally worth it, IMO.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Skiing is a pain in the ass. Expensive (what with kids and programs/lessons especially), awkward around the village, sometimes cold, etc.

But it is totally worth it, IMO.
in high school i'd drive my parents mini van up to 7springs almost every weekend, often both days. i would dirt bag it, ramen or subway for meals.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
wait are you talking about bikes or skis?
gear to "get ready" to go do the activity, not the actual bikes/skis themselves. one can always faff around with new boots/bindings/skis just as much as new brakes/derailleurs/suspension for a bike. my statement was just about the prep and other gear needed to go do the actual activity.

maybe part of my dislike is just how much more of a pain it is to do stuff with the family vs. by myself. but i think what makes it a pain gets amplified skiing in general.

i also lived in the northeast for most of my life until age 24 and am happy to be done with "winter."

crashmtb

Chimp
Dec 14, 2020
I'll have her try her existing coat on with her similar vest. If it fits, we might try that. The secondary issue is that she can't zip her jacket up all the way with all her layers and gaiter, and the hood won't pull over her helmet. Adding another vest won't help with that. I've already gotten her heated socks and gloves, both of which are at full heat, and her hands and feet are still cold; just no longer hurting.
My wife grew up in Petaluma, and lived in Monterey until I lured her to Canada. She was outside shoveling yesterday at -30F(-53 windchill). No complaints. No heated clothing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
gear to "get ready" to go do the activity, not the actual bikes/skis themselves. one can always faff around with new boots/bindings/skis just as much as new brakes/derailleurs/suspension for a bike. my statement was just about the prep and other gear needed to go do the actual activity.

maybe part of my dislike is just how much more of a pain it is to do stuff with the family vs. by myself. but i think what makes it a pain gets amplified skiing in general.

i also lived in the northeast for most of my life until age 24 and am happy to be done with "winter."
meh, its more seasonal than activity related. i have just as much winter riding gear as snowboarding gear when that was my primary activity.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I9 Guy texted me at 9AM. To tell me I fixed his problem. I will never touch his bike ever again. Fucking useless texts at 9AM. Never, I repeat never text your bike mechanic at fucking 9am. Its just not done.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I9 Guy texted me at 9AM. To tell me I fixed his problem. I will never touch his bike ever again. Fucking useless texts at 9AM. Never, I repeat never text your bike mechanic at fucking 9am. Its just not done.
Yeah, that IS pretty late.
7:00 AM would have been better, unless you work in a bar.
You do know you can silence your phone until whatever time, don’t you?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Is there anything more bullshit in the corporate work environment than annual appraisals?

The amount of time wasted on doing them...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Is there anything more bullshit in the corporate work environment than annual appraisals?

When I interviewed with Wayfair, they told me they do them quarterly and you get reviews from / review your peers as well. Sounded like fun. :fie:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Yes. "Casual Overtime", and the expectation that you should work more than 40 hours a week, with those extra hours being free. If it's every now and again, fine, it happens. But when you expect extra hours week after week? Bullshit.

And "unlimited PTO". Bullshit.

Open offices to "promote collaboration". Bullshit, you cheap, narrow minded prick.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Early response when a manager at my first engineering job wanted me to come in on Saturday, which I deemed unnecessary: "The engineering work week is 39.5 hours." I didn't come in that Saturday and remained employed.
A former employer of mine, let's call them, The Meatball, had a formal policy that employees were expected to work casual overtime, with the amount dependent upon your pay grade.

Those in the "Professional" pay band were expected to work up to 4 hours per week, every week, before overtime could accrue. For those in the "Senior Professional" band, it was up to 8 hours. 20% more, week after week, ceases to become casual. That's exploitation.

A former employer of mine, let's call them, The Meatball, had a formal policy that employees were expected to work casual overtime, with the amount dependent upon your pay grade.

Those in the "Professional" pay band were expected to work up to 4 hours per week, every week, before overtime could accrue. For those in the "Senior Professional" band, it was up to 8 hours. 20% more, week after week, ceases to become casual. That's exploitation.
An important thing is that them what do actual work talk to each other and push back fairly uniformly. Some will dislay more courage than others.

When I retired from my last gig, I got a lot of unexpected praise from younger workers who I had encouraged over the years to push back.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
that's how you get labeled "not a team player"
Meanwhile I work from my office (across the street from hospital and main reading rooms) almost exclusively and am leading the committee to get home workstations. Ideally I'd do a day during the week and almost all evening shifts from home.

Yet my evaluations by the residents are good, because I remain reachable by Teams or cell phone and still give a shit in general.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I didn't have that expectation at the meatball. However as my job was tied to customer accounts the only thing that mattered was that my customer was happy. I generally worked 40 hour weeks in the office but when my customer needed me I did whatever was necessary which often meant long hours and the occasional weekend. That part sucked but I could also openly ignore all the corporate bullshit and even direct requests from management if it would impede my ability to support the customer. Salary was for the most part was commensurate with the effort.

Now you want to talk real bullshit, when I worked in consulting we were required to have 32 billable hours per week, as I did a lot of business development a significant portion of my job was not billable. Imagine working 60+hours a week and then having to take vacation/sick days to get a paycheck.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My wife is expected to work 50+ hours / week + unpaid weekend work as needed. You don't like it? Forget about any promotion dreams, plus there's an army of people in Kansas City Poland China that will be happy to take over your job.

Fucking banks. :bad:

My wife is expected to work 50+ hours / week + unpaid weekend work as needed. You don't like it? Forget about any promotion dreams, plus there's an army of people in Kansas City Poland China that will be happy to take over your job.

Fucking banks. :bad:
Banks have been culturally fucked up since forever. Loads of clerks labeled as vice presidents. I did a bunch of IT work in banks in Vermont and only one (Vermont Federal) seemed to be a decent place to work.

One of the banks, led by sweaty suited white males, was sold off and broken up by said leaders, who then moved out of state to avoid taxes as all the working grunts lost their jobs. Fucking evil.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I work a 50 hour week, but I take a couple of 2 hour breaks each day and can pretty much take a day off when I want one as long as I let the boss know a week ahead of time plus I am in the field with no one looking over my shoulder all day. Probably why I have been here 14 years

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My wife grew up in Petaluma, and lived in Monterey until I lured her to Canada. She was outside shoveling yesterday at -30F(-53 windchill). No complaints. No heated clothing.
that’s cold for real...

where are you based? Yellowknife?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

It doesn't get very cold around here but in the mountains shit can go from nice and comfy to 35, wet and windy with little warning and very quickly. It has happened to me twice while unprepared and was a mechanical failure away from battling hypothermia. Which means despite usually riding in little more than a shirt and shorts I carry around extra layers and it is a pain in my ass.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
in high school i'd drive my parents mini van up to 7springs almost every weekend, often both days. i would dirt bag it, ramen or subway for meals.
Shit... I carry a backpack with a large water bottle and cooler sack with our lunches. If I do it right, our only expenses for the day are gas up and down. We've gotten into the habit with Wifey of parking in the garage, but that's a negligible cost, all things considered vs. a normal day buying lunch on the mtn. Passes and Haley's Devo are expensive up front costs, but I consider that a flat fee vs. variable $50-75/day for food and misc.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Somebody failed to call before digging and snapped a fiber cable killing Comcast service to everyone north of P-Town. Service went out at 10, finally restored at 4:30.