Quantcast

Good Movies to seek out at the rental store

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
having two young boys I often don't get to watch the latest and greatest that comes out in the theaters and on DVD, so recommend me some good movies that you've recently rented, or perhaps some beloved classics that I should keep an eye out for.

Also, the video store I go to keeps giving me buy one get one free coupons so I can grab two for the price of one, and I'm sure I'm missing out on some awesome flicks that are no longer in the New Releases section.

The other night we watched National Treasure and I thought it was a pretty good flick for a rental. And it was nice that it was kid friendly too.

If this helps, I'm a big fan of period type movies (30s era, Civil War Era, WWII era, etc.)

I also dig epics like Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, etc. etc.

So hit me with some recommendations Monkeys!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
we watched _Sexy Beast_ a few weeks ago, and it was good (ben kingsley in particular), but definitely not kid-friendly.

i have heard great things about the documentary _Grizzly Man_. this is now in my netflix queue.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Sort of a real genre peice, but Shaun of the Dead (NOT KID FRIENDLY) is a hoot!
-Murderball (documentary) is worth watching
-TheThin Red Line is really good (WWII, but philosophically inclined)
-Saints & Sinners (also WWII) is OK
-Bend it Like Beckham (Kiera Knightley, more or less kid friendly)
-King Arthur (another Kiera Knightley, not kid friendly)
-12 Monkeys - wierd, but entertaining
-any of the Godzilla movies from the 60's -these are pretty kid friendly too, depending on how old your boys are. Worth a laugh anyway.
-Speaking of Terry Gilliam movies (12 Monkeys); Brazil, The Adventures of Baron Von Munchausen, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and (reaching way back) Time Bandits, are all worth watching.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
narlus said:
we watched _Sexy Beast_ a few weeks ago, and it was good (ben kingsley in particular), but definitely not kid-friendly.

i have heard great things about the documentary _Grizzly Man_. this is now in my netflix queue.
My video rental place just got Grizzly Man. It's Herzog. I think we are going to see it later this week.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Rockland said:
My video rental place just got Grizzly Man. It's Herzog. I think we are going to see it later this week.
i was overjoyed last night when i found that Netflix has in stock Les Blank's _The Burden of Dreams_. have you ever seen this? it's a documentary on the making of _Fitzcarraldo_. it's absurdity at its highest point.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I watched Star Wars - The Clone Wars, which is a Cartoon Network production of what happened between Star Wars 2 & 3. I loved it.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
narlus said:
i was overjoyed last night when i found that Netflix has in stock Les Blank's _The Burden of Dreams_. have you ever seen this? it's a documentary on the making of _Fitzcarraldo_. it's absurdity at its highest point.
I don't think I've seen it. I do have My Best Fiend. It had some pretty rediculous Kinski stuff (some from the filming of Fitzcarraldo). :eek: What a nut.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Note: I spend about 40 minutes writing this,,,and when i try to post it the side was down,,somehow i save it,,,I gues you are lucky and I'm luck too...

Oh Mark so many movies ,so little time...

i give you my choices in categories.

*bicycle related movie..

the triplets of bellevie,,(I'm sure is spell wrong as ussual)this is a french movie made mostlly with old school animation technics, but also some current oes are use for time to time, super fun and pretty much Bicycles are the focal point of it...

*Documentary..

Riders and tyes...
a Documentary about the work of a scuptor call Andy goldswordy..
the most amazing use of simple materials found in nature,, if you like to enjoy placid moment in the forest or the mountais this is for you, but be careful , because after you see Andys work you will end up with a bunch of his ultra nice books (with fotos of his work)

*OLd School documentary

Nanuck the Squimal..
If after you see this movie ever complain again about your house being to small and your dinner being cold, i promise you i will got to your house and kick you in the Butt, this is a movie made in the 1920 about a small squimal family and their daylly predicaments ad tribulations..

*None REmakes.
The originals are much better..
-The fly of the Fenix.
-The thomas crown affair.
-the Planet of the apes..

*not popular war movies

Murphy's war..
with peter otool, directed by peter yates amaxing and obsure movie about the passion of a anger of a single man agains a whole german submarine.

*European films (I have a really long list fo this of them but i tell you just a few.)
- alice in the cityes, from winn wenders (sorry i suck at names)
-the Kaspar Houser enigma... from Herzog. about Pablovian theories of behevior control..very interesting and also fun in a very germen kind of way.
-anything from Erik Roemer if you need a inteligent chick flick.

*long Series...

the BBC made series about a "ficticius" navy captain on the queens fleet call "Horacio Hornblower" the have 8 chapters all really good. ..
the quality of the filming is wonderful, maybe a little TV like, the customs the boats the equpment are perfect the adventures, exelent,, no CGI Bs crap at all, everything ris eal and if you enjoy tall ships and oceans as much as I do you are going to love it..
actually the movie "Captain and comander" (also a great movie to rent, specially for the outtakes and how they made it) is base losselly on this books..

*If you Don't get Laid with this Movie You have No game.

the Famous "Pinguin" Movie...
Funny... I saw The March of the penguins two days later after i saw the last of the lamme starwars movies and made my mind and heart rejoice to know that movies can still be made With out the "mAgic" of Hollywood.

enjoy...

actually i own all this movies, among a few other hundreds, but this are some of my favorites

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
IMMORTAL

crappy movie....but good if you like computer graphic misxed with real people futuristic Japanamation type stuff.

Frankly it was kind of hard to follow but if you are searching hard for a movie to rent.....this 'might' be the one for a filler.

I don't even know who put out the movie....but think 5th Element type of movie......but not as clear. :confused: :)

It was a "New release" at the local supermarket where you can rent them for $1 a night on week days so I picked it up to watch the Monday after X-mas.

There are a couple boobie shots. :rolleyes:

And some hammer head shark/human hybrid thingy.

And some alien/egyptian gods thrown in for good measure that speak in a language that wasn't english and was not subtitled.

rent it if you don't expect to much but like odd movies.

Rhino

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
MMcG said:
If this helps, I'm a big fan of period type movies (30s era, Civil War Era, WWII era, etc.)
Miller's Crossing
Band of Brother's(It might be a little grisly for kids)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Patinto wrote sooo much. Definately see Dust to Glory. You may not be interested in the baja 1000, but I think most normal people would still enjoy it.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
mtnbrider said:
Patinto wrote sooo much. Definately see Dust to Glory. You may not be interested in the baja 1000, but I think most normal people would still enjoy it.
Oh yeah that movie rules, specially on a Big TV with some good soround sound,,, BrUmmmmBBbbrum m..m..m m....m

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
mtnbrider said:
I saw it on my laptop....
well if you place it 6 inches away from your nose is pretty much the same thing...

Originally Posted by MMcG
I did not see this before..

Well mark you are going to love the ones i recomend you .

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
BikeGeek said:
If you haven't seen it yet, the Band of Brothers series that aired on HBO a while back is worth a look.
:thumb: I'd third Bikegeek and SteveW's recommendations for Band of Brothers. Great cast and very engaging from beginning to end.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Mark, _Time After Time_ is a pretty good flick. check it out. here's the plot summary:

H.G. Wells has just invented a time machine but hasn't tried it out yet. When he discovers that one of his friends is actually Jack the Ripper, Jack makes his escape using the time machine. Herbert follows Jack into the late 1970's where he meets Amy, a bank clerk, who teaches Herbert about life in 70's while they pursue Jack, who is enjoying the more violent society in which he continues his murderous activities.
also, _Matewan_ is well worth yr while.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Random ideas that most video stores should have:

If you like quality De Niro, check out Taxi Driver or Raging Bull.

The Deer Hunter is a good one too.

Deliverance.

Dr. Strangelove is always a hoot.

Citizen Kane.

The Big Blue.

Irreversible. (Trippy, told backwards.)

Maltese Falcon.

Patineto meant to say "Rivers and Tides" which is a very cool movie about the artist Andy Goldsworthy, he does some amazing temporary peices using natural materials and processes.

If you're into nature films, Winged Migration is really good, so is March of the Penguins.

(Oops I just realized these are for you and your boys, not sure these are all that good for the family...)

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
OGRipper said:
Random ideas that most video stores should have:

If you like quality De Niro, check out Taxi Driver or Raging Bull.

The Deer Hunter is a good one too.

Deliverance.

Dr. Strangelove is always a hoot.

Citizen Kane.

The Big Blue.

Irreversible. (Trippy, told backwards.)

Maltese Falcon.
[/QUOTE[
Kubrick is always amazing, about a year ago i got to see one of his earlier movies, i don't even remenebr the name but is base at the first war world in the trenches , pretty amazing, some how very similar in flavor to strangelove but totally diferent at the same...maybe you remenber the name is something like Dust to glory(but i know that is the baje race movie)

Irreversible. i never saw, but i'm going to find it since you mension it and your taste is impecable.

Patineto meant to say "Rivers and Tides" which is a very cool movie about the artist Andy Goldsworthy, he does some amazing temporary peices using natural materials and processes.
proof again i can not Spell to safe my life, i'm so freaking dislexic is not even funny to the point i kind of don't worry anymore, maybe (i know what for a fact) that is why i love movies so much and i also know about them too.

put it this way I ussuallly know more about German movies (specially the classics) than most german people (even if i grow up in sur america) same for a few other countrys,,,

If you're into nature films, Winged Migration is really good, so is March of the Penguins.

(Oops I just realized these are for you and your boys, not sure these are all that good for the family...)
Yeap I love it and I have it to...

until about 12 years ago, i when to a movie pretty much every night, sometimes two for day (summer vacations) just imagine how many i got to see,,, well including the original version of blade runner 57 times and about 7 for the directors cut that i did not even like, same thing for many other from herzog, Antoniony, to lucas, and even the ones for the Terminator..

now i just collect the ones I like on video mostlly lazer disc since curretlly they are so cheap and still play really well specially if you like to scan scenes, i have about 670 of them and then a few dvd and vhs too..

thanks for the corrections, looks like we have a similar sense and taste..

ricky

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
narlus said:
_paths to glory_ is the early Kubrick war film. good one.
thanks that is the one...

so heart felt...

mister Stanley is a genius when if comes to deliver simbolic messeges
i've never seen _Barry Lyndon_.
that is a great movie too..

you can not go wrong with it...

I have this little theory,,if i movie was made 20-40-80 years ago and style remenber by people (Maybe that is the reason why they remake so many plots) is a really good chance that is a exelent film and a small chance that is a mega lamme one or a "Cult film" ususllly lamme but reallly fun.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
patineto said:
[
Irreversible. i never saw, but i'm going to find it since you mension it and your taste is impecable.

Well thanks. Just an fyi, Irreversible is definitely NOT a family movie. Graphic violence, sex, etc. It is not flawless but definitely worth renting sometime, and you might end up watching it twice.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
madagascar is a good family movie. the penguins definitely are what made that movie good. good will hunting is an awesome movie imo and if you havent already checked it out i would definitely do so.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
patineto said:
mister Stanley is a genius when if comes to deliver simbolic messeges
Eyes Wide Shut must have been a lapse then.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
good date movie... Spanglish. I'm not a big fan of Adam Sandler, but he was decent in this movie... Tea Lioni is annoying but the kids and Flor stole the show. I liked it, as did my wife.