Quantcast

Good New Bands?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I need some new music! I scrounge through iTunes Radio stations, and rarely come up with anything worth pursuing. No metal, no emo.

My interests:
Ramones, Replacements, Social D, Dinosaur Jr, Butthole Surfers, etc. (Yea, I'm old...)

Who's got suggestions?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no band has ever tread in the wake which the buttholes left.

in terms of new bands doing music like you mention, i'll think about it. that said, i can't imagine any new bands playing stuff qhich sound like Ramones or Social D and being worth listening to. it's already been done so well, so why bother?

instead, i'd perhaps take a look at stuff which was contemporary and overlooked the 1st time. maybe try stuff like:

The Saints
Buzzcocks
Swervedriver
Jesus Lizard
Adolescents
Adverts
Damned

for starters, anyway

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
narlus said:
no band has ever tread in the wake which the buttholes left.

in terms of new bands doing music like you mention, i'll think about it. that said, i can't imagine any new bands playing stuff qhich sound like Ramones or Social D and being worth listening to. it's already been done so well, so why bother?

instead, i'd perhaps take a look at stuff which was contemporary and overlooked the 1st time. maybe try stuff like:

The Saints
Buzzcocks
Swervedriver
Jesus Lizard
Adolescents
Adverts
Damned

for starters, anyway
I didn't mean to say I wanted copycat bands, just some good, strong action. I was listening to Buzzcocks earlier today. Never heard of 2 bands on that list. I'll check 'em out.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stinkyboy said:
I saw one of their vids on a local music video channel, and I thought it was a joke...

I'm still not convinced...
oh, it's totally a joke, but it's a good one. they have some ripping songs (and some funny ones; they are the punk rock version of The Frogs at times).

did you see who won the Eurovision contest this year? :rofl:

if only American Idol could be as entertaining.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
I saw one of their vids on a local music video channel, and I thought it was a joke...

I'm still not convinced...

They are awesome.

They have a really good documentary on them on netflix too. Great band.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I'm not sure if they will fit your description but here is the stuff i have been listening to lately and really liking:

She Wants Revenge (not emo)
Nightmare of you (not emo) sounds like it though
Thursday
Arctic Monkeys
Rise Against
Hundred Reasons To Kill Your Own
Mew
clutch

All real good rockish/punk stuff IMO (i hate pushin music into categories)...check em out.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
narlus said:
oh, and the Hellacopters are pretty damn good; .

freakin' swedes know how to rock eh? They sound a little like that SOTD you posted this morning. Another band along those lines is Foo Man Chu, that is if you like straight up rock.

There are so many Bosstones / ska bands it would be too hard to pick. They all sound pretty much the same anyway. Take a step away from ska and try Morphine. They have a sexier, smarter sound, real thick and deep, only horns and drums. They don't need no stinking guitars. RIP Sandman.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
H8R said:
They are awesome.

They have a really good documentary on them on netflix too. Great band.
They also have the minutemen documentary available....I may join just for that.

As far as new music....

I posted a video by the Hellacopters in this thread. Pick up/download anything before Rock And Roll Is Dead.

The video is not work/kid/school safe.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
New Stuff:

The Artic Monkeys
The Subways
Andrew Bird
Belle and Sebastien (a tad bit soft)
Frank Black's current stuff
Sun Volt

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jdschall said:
didn't Gwar do that like 20 years ago?
yeah, and i've no idea what their sound is like. but the costumes are a definite step up quality-wise from GWAR.

but, i bet they don't have Sleazy P Martini...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Monster Magnet: "Spine of God", "Superjudge", and "Dopes to Infinity" are good. If those interest you skip whatever came after Dopes to Infinity and pick up "Monolithic Baby". Half of it is good, but it is better than the two records that preceded it combined.

If Dave Wyndorf would pick up drugs again, Monster Magnet might come out with a complete record that doesn't sound like sh!t.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
narlus said:
have you heard their cover of thin lizzy's "Whiskey in the Jar"? great cover. it's on the new single.
Maybe. But I don't know Thin Lizzy in the first place. I just know that they name-check them in one of their songs.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
i dig _Dopes_...good record.

you have _25....Tab_? gotta like a song entitled 'pills shovel' :D
Yes. Once upon a time MTV would play the video for that song.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well most everyone only knows "The Boys are back in Town" but they have some pretty decent tunes, in a generic hard rock kinda way. biopic on phil lynott (played by the black dude from CSI) is in the works.

i really like the new B&S record; definitely the best since _arab strap_.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
narlus said:
ah, i was gonna list RB.

just grabbed the Laughing Clowns set last night.
laughing clowns are awesome... do you have much later kuepper stuff ??

i ll get to burning ya some kuepper and kim salmon et al when i get this freakin house unpacked... :redhot: :dead:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i have _Everybody's Got To_ and _Electrical Storm_ (which is my fave), and a live record from The Aints ( :D ).

yeah, no hurries on the unpacking. you found a place i take it?

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Anybody here ever listen to Between the Burried and Me? They're a NC band on Victory now. I saw them last week, they are amazing. If you're into technical, progressive metal stuff you should definetly check em out.