Quantcast

Good News, Greenville SC is getting DJs soon and maybe a 4X course too.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
This is good news for Greenville SC free rides and DJ riders. After spending a day up at Country Park in Greensboro last Saturday, I have been on the phone with Greenville County Parks and Recreation. Just today the head person over the parks agreed to give us 2 acres to build DJs for the Greenville riders. We are planning to sit down at the beginning of April to find the right park that will give us the best amount of land. If the land has a good hill on it maybe a nice 4X course to for future races, we will see. We will try our best to make it an inner park right out side of the City limits. I will post more later when I find out more. Just wanted to pass the info along and say thanks again to all the riders that came out last Sat. at CP and got me motivated to do this.

Cecil

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
FCLinder said:
This is good news for Greenville SC free rides and DJ riders. After spending a day up at Country Park in Greensboro last Saturday, I have been on the phone with Greenville County Parks and Recreation. Just today the head person over the parks agreed to give us 2 acres to build DJs for the Greenville riders. We are planning to sit down at the beginning of April to find the right park that will give us the best amount of land. If the land has a good hill on it maybe a nice 4X course to for future races, we will see. We will try our best to make it an inner park right out side of the City limits. I will post more later when I find out more. Just wanted to pass the info along and say thanks again to all the riders that came out last Sat. at CP and got me motivated to do this.

Cecil

Very good news.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
So far so good. They want to do it. I sent them pics of CP and told them all about the place. The head guy told me he will hook us up with what we need to do it and a place. Just have to go look at some spots now. Hope to start by mid to the end of April. I will be looking for help on the design of the lay out and to help build them soon. We should have plenty of dirt and equipment to build.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I suggest a 4x first. Its an easier sell. You know racing and all. I lot of folks freak at DJs once they really see them. It was super easy to us to sell DJs once they saw a race on the MTNx course here in Knoxville. It involves more user groups. Park's departments like that kind of thing. Having a good, open relationship with the parks department is essential. Our's bends over backwards for us. :)

Congrats by the way.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I think you mis-understood what I said. Talking about dirt jumps and seeing dirt jumps are two different things. Its still pretty easy for them to pull the plug even after you get a few dirt jumps built, once they se the gaps (unless they are all tables). Trying to discribe dirt jumps over the phone or even looking at pictures is one thing, but actually showing up and seeing them in person is something else. Its makes things easier to start with items are are used by the biggest user group (i.e. MTNx course). Then follow up with more "dangerous" things once you get established.

Its just a suggestiont from personal experience.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
This is not my first Rodo. All the jumps will be tables much like CP in Greensbor NC. The bigs ones may be about 4 to 5 feet high. I understand where you are coming from and appreciate the info. Thanks.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
profro said:
I think you mis-understood what I said. Talking about dirt jumps and seeing dirt jumps are two different things. Its still pretty easy for them to pull the plug even after you get a few dirt jumps built, once they se the gaps (unless they are all tables). Trying to discribe dirt jumps over the phone or even looking at pictures is one thing, but actually showing up and seeing them in person is something else. Its makes things easier to start with items are are used by the biggest user group (i.e. MTNx course). Then follow up with more "dangerous" things once you get established.

Its just a suggestiont from personal experience.
haha doug is just trying to get more mtn-x races in the season.

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
Way to go man! Glad to hear that CP helped inspire the idea...we all enjoyed your crew coming up and hanging out last week...it would be nice to come your way once you guys get things built up!

Keep everyone posted too - I'm sure we could get a few Gboro dudes to come down and build once the city gives you dirt - we certainly had riders from all over to come help us build!

...(i'm daniel by the way = black VP Free)...

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Cecil, or anyone. Who would be a good "Park & Rec" person to contact about how Country Park came to be?

airwalkrob

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
Greenville EASTSIDE
More G-vegas news, NO-NAME-SKATEPARK opens april1 on roper mountain road it's the biggest indoor skate/bike park on the east coast. mid summer they are adding a dirt park & a concrete park outside. for those who enjoy halfpipe riding like me , the mini is 4' to 5" X 50" & my favoret 12" X 50" half multible spines ,funboxs,all kinds of wall rides ....and those with children like me , 2 teachers on hand for the little ones............Yeah G-Vegas

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the bikes are two different animals, and require different styles of jumps.

my jumps i build are for high speed d.h.sleds. hopefully giving you distance instead of height. hitting it and then barreling on down the trail.

ya'll's are more in tune for hard tails and short travel. and need to be rythmic, hitting one then another and another.

you'd see an old guy die if i tried to hit dj's with my DH9.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
dhbuilder said:

my jumps i build are for high speed d.h.sleds. hopefully giving you distance instead of height. hitting it and then barreling on down the trail.

ya'll's are more in tune for hard tails and short travel. and need to be rythmic, hitting one then another and another.

Buh??????????? We know that. We will build two different styles of jumps. A 4x course for racing and DJs for the dirt jumpers. This will be a place for everyone to enjoy.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
FCLinder said:
I have no idea about the guy that help the CP project. Genn Smith is the Parks an Rec. guy I am working with in Greenville.
Can you PM me his contact info?

Also if anyone has the contact info for a P&R guy at Country Park it would be greatly appreciated

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
that's a lot of work.

sounds like you have good political support.
take advantage of it.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
airwalkrob said:
More G-vegas news, NO-NAME-SKATEPARK opens april1 on roper mountain road it's the biggest indoor skate/bike park on the east coast. mid summer they are adding a dirt park & a concrete park outside. for those who enjoy halfpipe riding like me , the mini is 4' to 5" X 50" & my favoret 12" X 50" half multible spines ,funboxs,all kinds of wall rides ....and those with children like me , 2 teachers on hand for the little ones............Yeah G-Vegas
This is more great news!!! Thanks Rob. Can't wait to hit that place up. No if I can just learn how to ride unclipped in. Last time I got on a Halfpipe with my MT Bike I was clipped in and cought my front wheel on the deck and went face first into the ramp. As Jeremy about that one. We were at the skate park at Snow Shoe. I felt like a retard. Old Timmy was ripping it on a skate board that day too. We lost him to skating after that. He built us some nice a$$ dual gates with his welding skills. "Timmay!!!!!!!!"

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
FCLinder said:
Your right on the money there. The more guys racing 4X makes it that much more fun. There should be a rule if you race DH you have to race 4x. Like the old days, a combined event.
I know a lot of people that don't race 4x because they know they are going to lose. So what, I know I'm going to lose but I still do it. But the more people the better. I hope our format at Bigfoot of multiple motos will help to increase the riders. One and done does suck. :(

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
dhbuilder said:

I hear yeah. However a properly designed MTNx should still be competitive without jumping a single jump. BMX courses are built that way and it works well there.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
profro said:
I hear yeah. However a properly designed MTNx should still be competitive without jumping a single jump. BMX courses are built that way and it works well there.
it'll take you to finally get it right over there.
i'll sneak over there one day soon after you finish reshaping everything.
ya never know, i still have everything i need to build up the ol' uzzi slx.

the old layout was more for a motorcycle than a bike.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, while it was fun to blast down the hill. It didn't offer up much racing. It was a hole shot and follow the leader course. BORING in my book. We tried to slow it down, BIG TIME. So we'll see how it races on April 9th, then make more changes where it needs it.

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
MTB_Rob_NC said:
Cecil, or anyone. Who would be a good "Park & Rec" person to contact about how Country Park came to be?
...Motomike is a wealth of info - I think he could hook you up with the names you need...

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
BKQuill said:
WORD:weee:

Have you ever ridden at SPOG? Not a bad place to ride at, not the greatest, but it's not like there is a huge choice of skateparks around here.
Where is that? We all need to hit one of the spots up in the next few weekends before all the racing starts.