Quantcast

good noob ride in bend, oregon?

mrballistic

Chimp
May 10, 2005
my coworker and his wife are heading to bend this weekend, and, as the office bike guy, i was asked which trails they should hit.

she's pretty green, so i'm thinking that any trail that's not very technical would be best. maybe a bit of singletrack, but mostly groomed and nice would be best for her. and him, for that matter.

any ideas? i know portland pretty well, but i've never been to bend.

(i did a search on the archives, but didn't find much... i guess that the word 'bend' is a bit generic, eh?)

thanks!

best,
t

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yeah there's lots of easy trails right out of town. I'd suggest hitting the Phils trailhead and doing a loop out there. There are lots of trails out there so getting a trail map would be helpful.

mrballistic

Chimp
May 10, 2005
the roadie section in bf is great... i've hooked up with about 6 local folks for century rides this season.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'll second Phils. From the trailhead you can pick three different trails that are all fun, yet not too technically challenging for a beginner. All bike shops in town sell bike maps that are very helpful. At most intersections of trails there is a signpost that has a number on it which you can crossreference with the map to see where you are at.

have fun!

KeeblerElf

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Ballard, Seattle
If you want mellow, do the Deschutes River trail. You could make it a shuttle type thing, since even though it's pretty flat, it is a bit of a ride back to the trailhead, if memory serves.... But the Phil's Trails network mentioned above is really nice, too.

There's also a trail around Waldo Lake that is pretty spectacular, though there is a fair amount of climbing involved. I'm not sure what kind of bikes you guys are on, but anything over 30 pounds wouldn't be so cool for Waldo...

Just my $.02!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
KeeblerElf said:
If you want mellow, do the Deschutes River trail. You could make it a shuttle type thing, since even though it's pretty flat, it is a bit of a ride back to the trailhead, if memory serves.... But the Phil's Trails network mentioned above is really nice, too.

There's also a trail around Waldo Lake that is pretty spectacular, though there is a fair amount of climbing involved. I'm not sure what kind of bikes you guys are on, but anything over 30 pounds wouldn't be so cool for Waldo...

Just my $.02!
Waldo is probably not rideable yet (snow and blowdowns)...too early in the year.