Quantcast

Good or bad idea?

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
On my Fox 36 float it has two QR levers on each side of the 20mm dropout. I found this completely useless since I never take my front wheel off and its just added bulk and weight. Plus its just that much easer for someone to steal my front wheel. So I replaced both levers with just a simple bolt like this:

So I hope this is ok to do since the torque is probly getting all messed up without the levers. like its not going to crack or anything right?

Heres what it looked like before for reference:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
You're fine, just make sure to run a washer or something to spread the load evenly over the surface. QRs actually exert a lot of force through the cam motion. That said, don't be a hamfist and use the long end of the allen wrench with all your might.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Pinch bolts on the QR 36 have a torque value of 25 in-lbs, so there you go. The old ones (which are still on the 40s) were 19 in-lbs.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
i would take off the concave piece that the QR lever pivots on too.. the bolt should be sitting on a flat surface.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Pinch bolts on the QR 36 have a torque value of 25 in-lbs, so there you go. The old ones (which are still on the 40s) were 19 in-lbs.
... So in other words i can tighten the bolts fairly tight without risking cracking the dropouts? (I don't have a torque wrench)