Quantcast

Good rainy day music?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Ridemonkey said:
Wow, those are all on my standard playlist. Good picks.

I met the Iron and Wine dude last year. He was playing in a little bookstore for like 30 of us. Good stuff.
has anyone gotten the I&W/calexico split yet? sam beam's ok, but i do really like joey burns, john convertino and the rest of teh calexico bunch a whole lot.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
ridetoofast said:
if mellow is yer gig...check out a band called morhpine. indie band from boston that was just about to break it big when their lead singer had a big chest grabber on stage.

they have a sound that is entirely their own.
I'll second the vote for Morphine. It was hard to believe how BIG a sound could come out of a three-piece band.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
morphine is a good listen and calexico puts on a great show...but anyone ever listen to any umphrey's mcgee??? and for the grateful dead-y'all just dont understand

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
narlus said:
what's to understand about a bunch of smelly hippies aimlessly noodling about for hours on end? :oink: :D
It's called jamming and they're good at it. Don't dis the Dead.

Damien Jurado is my favorite for a rainy day. Mellow, relaxing, and fairly upbeat. Very Seattlish.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
what's to understand about a bunch of smelly hippies aimlessly noodling about for hours on end? :oink: :D
I like music that entails aimless noodling and even I can't stand the dead.

Soulive does it for me on a crappy day.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
narlus said:
was he in a band prior to his solo stuff? i've seen teh name a bazillion times but can't say i'm familiar w/ the music.
I don't think so, but if it was any band, I would say it was Pedro the Lion; he's fairly similar but generally more positive in his outlook on life. He's worth looking into IMHO.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
actually, i prefer it if they are smelly swedish hippies.

These guys represent old school. :dancing:
With already dubious showering habits I find it difficult to distinguish regular Northern Europeans from the hippies. Unless their donning a track suit or something similar.

J

JRB

narlus said:
any of the 500? dude, they picked "Love Will Tear Us Apart" at like #7 or so. there are plenty of decent to good (even a few great) tunes on the list, but a lot of questionable ones too. i've only gotten to about #200 or so.
It could be 10% is great to decent, leaving 90% to the suck.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'd say that your comfort level of rap/hiphop and pop music in general will go a long ways to predicting yr reaction to that top 500 list...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
loco said:
I should get that. I have the first CD. I saw him open for Dwight, and he is bad ass.
I missed seeing him with the Melvins.

Rainy day song: "Happy When It Rains" The Jesus and Mary Chain.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
DNA said:
I'll second the vote for Morphine. It was hard to believe how BIG a sound could come out of a three-piece band.

yeah they had some kick ass music. do you have their last cd? into the night? they had progressed to background vocals and string accompanyment (sp?, or did i just make up a word?)

their bootleg live cd rocks too

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I was about to say Blind Melon, just for that reason...Listen to some Nick Drake if you wish to be ultra chill.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
ridetoofast said:
yeah they had some kick ass music. do you have their last cd? into the night? they had progressed to background vocals and string accompanyment (sp?, or did i just make up a word?)

their bootleg live cd rocks too
I think that I have all of their albums except the Live CD (Good, Yes, Cure for Pain, Like Swimming, B sides and Otherwise, and The Night). The Night did show a lot of expansion in their music. That album kind always kind of depresses me when I listen to it as I had just gotten it and was really listening to it about the same time as when we had to put our dog to sleep.

Did you ever seen them live? It surprised me how the played with this mellow vibe, but still came off as big and intense.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
unfortunately no i never saw them live. didnt even know about them until about fall of 01 but the first time i heard them within like 30 seconds of the cd playing i was snappin' my fingers. about a month or two after that i had bought every cd i could find.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i never did see Morphine, but did see a mark sandman-led outfit called candybar. not sure how long that lasted before he got Morphine together...his other (first?) band Treat Her Right got some fans but i was not among them.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I think that the other guys from Morphine stayed together as another band, Twinemen or something like that. I never picked it up, so I don't know what it sounded like. It wouldn't be the same without Sandman's raspy voice.