Quantcast

Good rainy day music?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If you're anything like me looking outside from my desk to see a gloomy rainy day is a real downer, so I like to play some upbeat music to level out. What's your favourite pick me up rainy day music?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
try these:

_setting sons_ - The Jam
_crooked rain, crooked rain_ - Pavement
_in color_ - Cheap Trick
_hit to death in the future head_ - Flaming Lips
_guerrilla_ - Super Furry Animals
_The Stooges_ - The Stooges

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i'm entirely the opposite. love me some quiet, introspective music on a gloomy day. makes me feel like staying inside all day and eating soup. mmmmmmm.... soup.

death cab for cutie, transatlanticism
josh rouse, under cold blue stars
springsteen, nebraska
wilco, a ghost is born
neil halstead, seasons

and of course, the smiths & morrissey... :nopity:

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
RATM - it makes every day brighter. :D
You sure you shouldn't be listening to the Byrd's or Bread or something???

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
loco said:
You sure you shouldn't be listening to the Byrd's or Bread or something???
Jefferson Airplane or the Greatful Dead would be more appropriate for SS SS.

Reggae is always good on a crappy day. Just listen to 3 Little Birds a 1000 times you'll be set.

J

JRB

Bushwhacker said:
Hank Williams III...Thunderstorm and neon signs. Sounds just like his grandaddy.....
I should get that. I have the first CD. I saw him open for Dwight, and he is bad ass.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
The Greatful Dead? Good God, man. Their music sucks donkey ass. :nope:
I would rip on you for sucking donkey ass, but I don't want anyone to think I like GD.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
corey_dcstreet said:
i'm entirely the opposite. love me some quiet, introspective music on a gloomy day. makes me feel like staying inside all day and eating soup. mmmmmmm.... soup.

springsteen, nebraska
wilco, a ghost is born
neil halstead, seasons

and of course, the smiths & morrissey... :nopity:
Me too, that's the problem! Makes it hard to work :p

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
if mellow is yer gig...check out a band called morhpine. indie band from boston that was just about to break it big when their lead singer had a big chest grabber on stage.

they have a sound that is entirely their own.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
corey_dcstreet said:

springsteen, nebraska
wilco, a ghost is born
I agree totally and I was thinking of these 4 artist while the thread was loading! I would also add "Plans" by Death Cab and "Dressed up Like Nebraska" by Rouse as well as Dylan, Iron+Wine and Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
on the flight home last night, i picked up the latest copy of Blender, which had a list of the 500 best songs since you were born (they started @ 1980 so they are clearly not included me in the target demographic). some of the stuff was (as usual) pretty funny, but imo there was way too much reliance on pop/hip-hop stuff...there's been a LOT of ground covered since that time and they ignored huge swaths of it.

J

JRB

narlus said:
on the flight home last night, i picked up the latest copy of Blender, which had a list of the 500 best songs since you were born (they started @ 1980 so they are clearly not included me in the target demographic). some of the stuff was (as usual) pretty funny, but imo there was way too much reliance on pop/hip-hop stuff...there's been a LOT of ground covered since that time and they ignored huge swaths of it.
I find it really hard to believe a tune snob such as your self would like any of the songs.

*I do tend to like most songs you chose for girlie.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
loco said:
I find it really hard to believe a tune snob such as your self would like any of the songs.

*I do tend to like most songs you chose for girlie.
any of the 500? dude, they picked "Love Will Tear Us Apart" at like #7 or so. there are plenty of decent to good (even a few great) tunes on the list, but a lot of questionable ones too. i've only gotten to about #200 or so.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
bluebug32 said:
I agree totally and I was thinking of these 4 artist while the thread was loading! I would also add "Plans" by Death Cab and "Dressed up Like Nebraska" by Rouse as well as Dylan, Iron+Wine and Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams.
Wow, those are all on my standard playlist. Good picks.

I met the Iron and Wine dude last year. He was playing in a little bookstore for like 30 of us. Good stuff.