Quantcast

Good Restaurant Meals

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I went to a great restaurant in SF last night and thought I would share a report of our meal, feel free to do the same.

Myth is a little over year old and is a really georgeous spot with exposed brick and steel beams softened by light wood ceilings and lots of fabric and thick carpet. It is what people call "California food": fresh, seasonal ingredients with multi-cultural influences but an emphasis on simple preparations and clean flavors. This place also satisfies the small plate cravers by offering 1/2 sizes on a lot of the dishes.

We started with a round of raw oysters, each topped with a little wasabi tobiko and sitting in what tasted like a ponzu/champagne sauce. Very clean, crisp and briny. Then we had lobster and crab gazpacho with chive oil. It's a little early for tomatoes but this was really delicous, just a pure summery blast of cool tomato broth with chunks of meat and little croutons that added a welcome crunch. Then we had a shrimp and pesto wood fired pizza, not a combination I would normally order but I was happy to see little knobs of crisp pancetta to bring it together, and the crust was killer. Moved on to seared scallops with black trumpet mushrooms and fresh fava beans over celery root puree. The scallops were perfect, plump and meaty with a carmalized exterior and barely cooked inside, and the rest of the dish complemented them really well and also made it clear that spring is coming. Last, we had fresh agnolotti stuffed with braised beef cheeks in beef broth. The agnolotti were bigger than I've had before, about the size of small potstickers, and by that point I was glad it was a lighter preparation - not heavily sauced but instead they sitting in a pool of fragrant beef broth. The shredded meat stuffing was super tender and full of flavor.

Had a martini then we drank Rueda sauv blanc that worked really well with everything other than the agnolotti but by then we didn't care. Finished with a scoop of caramel swirl ice cream...with all of that it was surprisingly not too much dough...MMMMMMMMMMM

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
we ate at some place in Falmouth (Firefly) which needs some work in the execution dept...not nearly as good as the menu would have led me to believe. my pork chop was ok, but the sides were cold; my dad's swordfish was cold and had to be re-heated, and my brother's 'chicken under a brick' looked good but was dried out beyond repair. the kid's black olive pizza was good, as was my wife's grilled shrimp.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
baboon, there are SO many good places to eat in SF (in my limited experience). you'd probably have a harder time finding a duff choice.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I Are Baboon said:
I've been to SF twice in the last two years and haven't had a bad meal yet.

But I always like to try a place a fellow MTB'er recommends. :)
:stupid:

We're taking the kids on a road trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium after Memorial Day and would welcome recommendations since we'll have a Gramma (babysitter) coming along with us. :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

We're taking the kids on a road trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium after Memorial Day and would welcome recommendations since we'll have a Gramma (babysitter) coming along with us. :)
it's been ~15 years since i was in Monterey, but we ate a very good/cool place which was a renovated fire station.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Burrito: Cancun on Mission & 19th St.

SF is useless for any other food. :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I Are Baboon said:
So OGRipper, would you recommend the place to a business traveler who'll be in SF the last week of October?

Well, right now Myth is on the list (see above). I can give you recommendations for just about any kind of food, price range, or area in SF, so if you help me narrow it down I'll be better able to give some ideas. I little while back I gave someone a list of restaurants and places to go in SF, if you do a search you should find it. Off the top of my head: Zuni Cafe, Foreign Cinema, Bix, Bacar, Tommy's Mexican, Swan Oyster Depot, Tadich, Aqua, Delfina, Rose Pistola, Slanted Door, Boulevard, One Market, Canteen...jeez I can go on and on.

Depending on your low- or high-brow tendencies, however, the best meal in town just might be at the Toronado for beer and a sausage from Rosamunde next door.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
I've got a tongue in my basement freezer just waiting for my wife to go out of town. :D
This can be read so many different ways...