Quantcast

Good riding near Nashville?

Jul 9, 2007
I am going to be visiting some friends in Nashville for the next week or so and was considering taking my bike to do some riding while I was down there.
I ride an SX tail and prefer burly AM and FR stuff. The more technical and rocky the better. I'm not expecting to find anything too burly in the area but are there any fun trails that one should check out?
I've read a little about hamilton creek and montgomery bell but not a whole lot about what kind of trails these really are.
Anywhere north of Nashville would be fine since it is on my way from Lexington KY. Other than that, I'd like to stay within an hour of Nashville.

rickdeezel

Chimp
Dec 8, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
I used to live there, so hopefully I can point you in the right direction. For the type of riding you like, Hamilton Creek would probably be the best, but it does not drain well at all and is pretty unrideable for most of the winter. Lock 4 is north of Nashville, in Gallatin, and is just a fast and flowy XC trail. Montgomery Bell is west of town (about 45 minutes IIRC), and is a good place to ride in the winter because it drains well. There's nothing too difficult there, but it is a fun trail system with some technical spots. It has a fair amount of climbing and it's pretty tight and twisty. All of the trails there are pretty much just XC, but there is more fun stuff w/in a couple of hours driving.

The best place for trail conditions and info is the forum at nationalmountainbike.com. Click on the TN section.

Rick

ps - since you're coming from Lex, I assume you're taking BG parkway to I-65? If so, you might want to check out the Mammoth Cave area, too. The trails there are also XC, but it's another option.

Last edited: