Quantcast

Good rotors in 2022?

JerseyMojo

Chimp
Oct 11, 2018
We’ve had good brakes thread - what’s the current recommended good rotors? Ice-techs seem to warp by staring at them. Intrigued by the HS2 but not heard any real life experiences yet.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Semi related… Been super happy with the 2.3mm TRP rotors on the brakes designed for them.

I have an extra set of 203mm 2.3 rotors. Will I die if I use them on Hayes A4 brakes? Or do I really need 2.0mm rotors for the Hayes?

And to the OP’s question, what is the RM approved 2.0 rotor?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Semi related… Been super happy with the 2.3mm TRP rotors on the brakes designed for them.

I have an extra set of 203mm 2.3 rotors. Will I die if I use them on Hayes A4 brakes? Or do I really need 2.0mm rotors for the Hayes?

And to the OP’s question, what is the RM approved 2.0 rotor?
I haven't tried 2.3s in them but 2.0s seem to just about max out the Dominion piston retraction with new pads, so I doubt it'll work great.

I like Galfer rotors, with the one caveat that they vibrate a bit with MT7s, I think because the tiny pads are too small for their cutouts. It's a non issue on other brakes.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Hayes 2.0mm with the Dominion A4.
Old Magura Venti 2.0 and now TRP 2.3mm with Hope T3V4.

Me like.

Did not think to try the 2.3's with the Dominions for clearance. Bit late now as everything is running Very-Nice and I am loathe to F things up. Maybe over the winter when I rebuild the DH bike I will have a go.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Magura MDR-P has served me well. I changed it after two seasons for the 2.3 TRP, what I wanted to run in the first place, but the Magura is a good bet IMO if you can't fit 2.3s. Stock it measured 1.95 on my calipers, taking it off it's at 1.8 now. Some had problems with loose rivets/interface, I never did, but I did on some cheap Hope-clones.

I don't have the same hate for the icetechs...but the usage/style is important. They are good for short braking bursts with decent cool off periods (hey, that just happens to be the same time you don't get the wandering bite point) and they work well on my XC rig. They radiate heat pretty well and live up to *that* hype IME...they just don't have the heat capacity of steel rotors. TRP is on the right track IMO for braking. You don't skimp here.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've been very pleased with the HS2's. Running them on a set of Codes and a set of 4-piston XTRs.
Ditto. Ran them on Codes and now Dominions. Buddy is running HS2s on his XTRs. No issues, seem to stay straight better than Magura Storm HCs I've used before (and for sure more than anything Shimano).

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can we do a RM brake rotor?
I asked intend if he'd do a high carbon rotor and he said no because people won't be able to deal with rusty bike parts.
I'll have a rusty rotor if it provides increased friction and conductivity.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Dumb Q: would titanium be an absolute shit material for rotors?
I don’t think I have ever heard of one, and in this industry, there has to be a simple reason as to why.
In my non-metallurgist level of education, no idea on heat #'s, but I think it would need to be too thick to have sufficient strength to not warp.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don’t think I have ever heard of one, and in this industry, there has to be a simple reason as to why.
Titanium galls easily, also tends to catch fire when it gets really hot.

What you want is a beryllium rotor.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
HELL YEAH! With magnesium glitter shavings for more POW

EDIT: Just found out that Byrillium is effectively invisible to x-rays. This could be very useful information just before the apocalypse .
Westy, why is it used for cogs and such in aviation, if it is brittle and potentially hazardous? Heat properties?

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Can we do a RM brake rotor?
I asked intend if he'd do a high carbon rotor and he said no because people won't be able to deal with rusty bike parts.
I'll have a rusty rotor if it provides increased friction and conductivity.
Old hope rotors rusted.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What you want is a beryllium rotor.
My beryllium speakers came with a list of things not to do with them and said that they had to be bagged up after a house fire and taken back to the dealer, something like that anyway.
Shame this dude didn't post any pics of his built bike-

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
can you run 2.3s with shimano?
Turns out you can.
I bolted some up today and blam...no problems! Lever throw is unaffected, no clearance issues.

Seeing how Shimano brakes always seem to start having issues when the pads get low and pistons are extended, maybe the extra 0.5mm of thickness will help? Pistons will stay in the caliper a bit more when pads are worn.

1127221837a.jpg

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
My beryllium speakers came with a list of things not to do with them and said that they had to be bagged up after a house fire and taken back to the dealer, something like that anyway.
I've worked with a material called Albemet. It's made by one company only and all the scraps have to be drained and sent back to them.

Beryllium will kill you in really nasty ways. Stay away from it.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Red devil ultra light makes titanium brake rotors for race cars.
They are coated and must be recoted frequently
Had to replace one found a stainless replacement that was 1g lighter @ 1/4 the price.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Magura MDR-P has served me well. I changed it after two seasons for the 2.3 TRP, what I wanted to run in the first place, but the Magura is a good bet IMO if you can't fit 2.3s. Stock it measured 1.95 on my calipers, taking it off it's at 1.8 now. Some had problems with loose rivets/interface, I never did, but I did on some cheap Hope-clones.

I don't have the same hate for the icetechs...but the usage/style is important. They are good for short braking bursts with decent cool off periods (hey, that just happens to be the same time you don't get the wandering bite point) and they work well on my XC rig. They radiate heat pretty well and live up to *that* hype IME...they just don't have the heat capacity of steel rotors. TRP is on the right track IMO for braking. You don't skimp here.
And with a week of riding on the TRP 223: Me like. No need for expensive galfer sh*t or other gimmicks. Just a good thick rotor made of metal...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Where might one look at purchasing Trickstuff rotors, if they are from Canada?

Edit; R2-bike.com seems to be fairly cheap, would be $123ish shipped for two 203mm rotors. @mykel ever shipped from them? I don't think I have..

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Edit; R2-bike.com seems to be fairly cheap, would be $123ish shipped for two 203mm rotors. @mykel ever shipped from them? I don't think I have..
Yup, several times. One of several German sites I use. Never had a problem.
Have gotten some pedals, some brakes, some tires, some rotors and pads, some misc crap from them. You really have to look at tires - like ~50.00 a piece cheaper than here.

...and on my last order back the end of August, Canuckistani Customs came through - 500.00 in merch for me and one of the crew with no duty, taxes, brokerage, nada, nothing. :banana:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Are you seeing the sale on R2: €30/rotor for the Dächle 203 mm HD rotors?
In Europe R2 ships super fast for me.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Are you seeing the sale on R2: €30/rotor for the Dächle 203 mm HD rotors?
In Europe R2 ships super fast for me.
Yes it's around €30 per rotor, plus €20 or something in shipping. And convert it all to the worthless Canadian $ :)

Still beats paying $80-100 per rotor locally for something from Sram, Galfer, TRP etc etc.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Turns out you can.
I bolted some up today and blam...no problems! Lever throw is unaffected, no clearance issues.

Seeing how Shimano brakes always seem to start having issues when the pads get low and pistons are extended, maybe the extra 0.5mm of thickness will help? Pistons will stay in the caliper a bit more when pads are worn.

View attachment 185468
This is with brand new pads? What brand?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
The Trickstuff rotors were on sale for 26€ at Bike24 recently, but when I came back to order that and some other bits, they were back to regular price (35€). Bike24's shipping is 20€ to Canada instead of 30€ for R2-bike so it would have been worth it but oh well.

Also, like 5 months ago I order some Magura Storm HC 203mm from R2 bike and I just checked them and they are so badly warped that I'm not even sure I'll be able to bring them back. I don't know how they managed to do that honestly, I've never seen that. Seeing this, I bought a few of the same for real cheap (20$cdn) from a local store and they were 100% straight.

Hopefully tit's not the same for all rotors coming from R2.