Quantcast

Good rotors in 2022?

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Both me and my girlfriend are running the Magura Storm HC 203mm rotors, and both of our brakes make the same whistling sound on longer downhills... there seems to be some kind of resonance in the hole-pattern.
It's not super-annoying, but more silent would be nicer...

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
How were they packaged ?

Being magura. I'd just be happy they weren't constructed from plastic.
They were in the original Magura packaging, and stored without any weight over them here after receiving them. Maybe it's because they package them in a thin sleeve with the small plastic packaging containing the bolts getting pressed in there. Never had an issue with Shimano rotors. Oh well, some truing will ensue at some point if I ever need them!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Can we do a RM brake rotor?
I asked intend if he'd do a high carbon rotor and he said no because people won't be able to deal with rusty bike parts.
I'll have a rusty rotor if it provides increased friction and conductivity.
I would buy up a batch of those. I SWEAR by the high-carbon tool steel solid rotor on the front of my 450. Aside from the friction benefit, it seems to be tougher than hell for rock impacts too.

Yes, it will rust. No, I don't care.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
They were in the original Magura packaging, and stored without any weight over them here after receiving them. Maybe it's because they package them in a thin sleeve with the small plastic packaging containing the bolts getting pressed in there. Never had an issue with Shimano rotors. Oh well, some truing will ensue at some point if I ever need them!
I was hinting at them being bent in transit. Not by you . They travelled a long way to get to you. No?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Cornelius from Intend said the reason that he stopped offering his rotors was that they came warped/bend from the manufacturer and he had no resources to check and align all of them upon receival. So maybe not bend during transit but coming that way from Magura?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Cornelius from Intend said the reason that he stopped offering his rotors was that they came warped/bend from the manufacturer and he had no resources to check and align all of them upon receival. So maybe not bend during transit but coming that way from Magura?
When did he stop selling them?
I got 203mm ones from him and they seem true, I really like them but I need to put 0.5mm washers under my front caliper(MT7) so the pad doesn't contact the disc's spoke, gets a bit jerky at low speed and makes a weird noise.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
When did he stop selling them?
I got 203mm ones from him and they seem true, I really like them but I need to put 0.5mm washers under my front caliper(MT7) so the pad doesn't contact the disc's spoke, gets a bit jerky at low speed and makes a weird noise.
A while ago. I PM'd him on the German message board MTB-news.de to inquire why they were taken off the homepage, so this is what he answered. He keeps the leftovers from production for himself.
Brakestuff makes a ripoff or has licensed the design: https://brake-stuff.de/bremsscheiben/6-loch-is2000/75/punch-disc-30-mehr-abkuehlflaeche-avid-magura-shimano-kompatibel-glasperlengestrahlt

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A while ago. I PM'd him on the German message board MTB-news.de to inquire why they were taken off the homepage, so this is what he answered. He keeps the leftovers from production for himself.
Brakestuff makes a ripoff or has licensed the design: https://brake-stuff.de/bremsscheiben/6-loch-is2000/75/punch-disc-30-mehr-abkuehlflaeche-avid-magura-shimano-kompatibel-glasperlengestrahlt
Maybe that's why the 180mm rotors weren't replenishing, I ordered mine in July.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

there‘s the massive now

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The TRP-42, 2.3mm rotors aren't anything that I'd recommend. Despite being a 2 piece, they're warped pretty fuckin bad right out of the packaging. Spinning them with the calipers mounted, they hit on both sides. Also, their measurements are weird. They say 203mm, but cause of that "wave" they have the brake pads (code and V4's) don't hit it right. Even trying no spacers and multiple thickness spacers. They just don't seem right.

jayblackll

Chimp
Apr 27, 2012
I'm looking for +20mm pm>pm adapter with 4 bolts that is not for 180mm only. I'm looking to put trp 220mm rotor onto my RS Zeb. Any suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Rusty memory but I think on my Zeb I used a hope +40mm adaptor for the TRP?
I'd have to check when I get home.
Zeb's a 200mm post mount, so, nah.

Hope makes a nice four-bolt 200 to 220 mm dedicated adapter.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
There was a recommendation way back in 2022 for the Magura MDR-P rotors. Before I shell out the ridiculous price of ~$200 for two of these, is this actually worth it? The regular Storm rotors have been fine on my other bike (after spending the usual eternity trying to get them straight). Trickstuff is slightly cheaper from r2-bike, but suspect after whatever transaction fees/shipping, it will be mostly a wash.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
T Trickstuff is slightly cheaper from r2-bike, but suspect after whatever transaction fees/shipping, it will be mostly a wash.
Damn... Just checked and yeah they are what 46 euros now? I got some for something like $26 canadian pesos at the beginning of the year.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Damn... Just checked and yeah they are what 46 euros now? I got some for something like $26 canadian pesos at the beginning of the year.
I'm seeing 64 euros for the 203 although I haven't spent much/any time looking to see if there's more than one model:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

jayblackll

Chimp
Apr 27, 2012
Zeb's a 200mm post mount, so, nah.

Hope makes a nice four-bolt 200 to 220 mm dedicated adapter.
It seems that my only options are Hope or NSB, I've bought the galfer one, which according to their website is appropriate to adapt 200pm to 220, but my code caliper was 4mm shy and I'm not okay running that many washers.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
FWIW, I bought some 6-bolt TRP 2.3 rotors in 203mm for 11.50$cdn last week at Merlin, and just grabbed 3 more yesterday at 12.75$. They arrived sideways in a box tightly stuffed with not-flat stuff underneath, I was sure they're be warped. But no, perfectly straight!

Now for 14$cdn, still cheap as : https://www.merlincycles.com/trp-r1-6-bolt-rotor-282001.html

So I guess they're pretty strong and they seem to arrive straight even if the warehouse people don't want them to.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Chain Reaction had the Hayes D series rotors for 10 bucks each. Not the best rotors but better than most and good enough especially at that price.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Are those rotors worth the premium $$$? Last time I looked they were double the cost of most other rotors.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I just got a set. Rear 223 is ridiculously noisy; going to be doing a bunch of testing to figure out the culprit.
Was on a ride with Andi Kolb a few days ago. He is running the shark fin rotors with the purple pads, green ones are extremely noisy and purple ones just a bit less bitey. fwiw
And yes, he is missing the DRT and Maxima, still has them on his "private legacy" bikes.