Quantcast

~~Good Thursday Morning!!~~

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
How is everybody today?

Well it's official I have reserved a cottage on Peaks Island Maine for the last week of July. For some reason I had the silly idea to take my GF's parent's sister and sister's boyfriend on vacation with us.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hello! Well :stosh:, at least you finally got the damn thing booked. :D

*boring paragraph alert*
We lost our damn hockey game last night 4-3. We went down 3-0 just 2.5 minutes into the friggin game, but battled like hell to come back and tie it late in the third period, only to give it right back with a minute left in the game. BAH! After giving up that lead, we completely dominated the game (outshot them 47-21). Well, if there is a such thing as a good loss, that was it. Playoffs start Saturday and we're the top seed.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
firetoole said:
In my experience, the vacation with "her familly" can either be ok or really really bad.
Yeah the funny thing is that sometimes I get along better with her family then she does.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Risky territory Stosh, be careful.

One a good note, I spent money on my self last night, a rarity for a father of 2. Bought some new running shoes, a trainer, a new cassette and chain. I need to add $190 to the bike fund thread.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
Hello! Well :stosh:, at least you finally got the damn thing booked. :D

*boring paragraph alert*
We lost our damn hockey game last night 4-3. We went down 3-0 just 2.5 minutes into the friggin game, but battled like hell to come back and tie it late in the third period, only to give it right back with a minute left in the game. BAH! After giving up that lead, we completely dominated the game (outshot them 47-21). Well, if there is a such thing as a good loss, that was it. Playoffs start Saturday and we're the top seed.
Well I was waiting for the right one to come along.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Mornin' yo! Nothing exciting to report. Went to my parents house for dinner last night. Mmmm...London Broil! :drool: Other than that, did 1/2 hour on the treadmill, sit-ups, push-ups....the usual routine. While doing something has been better than doing nothing I'm sure, I think I'm going to get a trainer this weekend. I need to pedal something!

Going out for drinks after work tonight. One of the guys I work with just transfered to another office. Should be fun. That's about it for now...

Edit: Congrats on getting the cottage booked! One less thing to worry about! :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yossarian said:
Risky territory Stosh, be careful.

One a good note, I spent money on my self last night, a rarity for a father of 2. Bought some new running shoes, a trainer, a new cassette and chain. I need to add $190 to the bike fund thread.
This should be interesting as I'll be "the boss" of the vacation. I just have to make sure that I can get Aubrey's mom to cook and we should be ok.

I think my biggest problem will be making them realise that they will have to take more than $100 out of the bank for the week.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McGRP01 said:
Mornin' yo! Nothing exciting to report. Went to my parents house for dinner last night. Mmmm...London Broil! :drool: Other than that, did 1/2 hour on the treadmill, sit-ups, push-ups....the usual routine. While doing something has been better than doing nothing I'm sure, I think I'm going to get a trainer this weekend. I need to pedal something!

Going out for drinks after work tonight. One of the guys I work with just transfered to another office. Should be fun. That's about it for now...

Edit: Congrats on getting the cottage booked! One less thing to worry about! :thumb:
Yeah well I HAD to send the money in right away to reserve it and someone else wanted it so now I'm poor for a few weeks.
Aubrey and I are paying for the whole thing because we make 2x as much as her entire family.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
'morning stosh.

RE: the vacation, well, hope you get along with their family - it sounds like you do, so it could be a good time. My girlfriend's family is awesome, and I could easily see going on vacation with them.

Congrats on being the top seed in the playoffs, IAB!

Got my new toolbox last night. Going to do a little shopping tonight for some hardware and drawer liners - can't wait to get everything into place!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
Speaking of summer, I just checked the local weather and it's supposed to snow every day for the next SIX DAYS. :dead:
Yeah it's supposed to be cold for the next week here still....

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
stosh said:
How is everybody today?

Well it's official I have reserved a cottage on Peaks Island Maine for the last week of July. For some reason I had the silly idea to take my GF's parent's sister and sister's boyfriend on vacation with us.
Eeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent! Which side of the island are you going to be? Man, I miss Peaks. I haven't been in about 5 years now. Waaaaaaaaay too long.

I just was approved for an all expenses paid trip to San Francisco in June. Of course I have to attend a conference, but I've scheduled additional time into the equation for a visit to my uncle in Napa and a few days in Bishop.

The Cheese

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Mornin stosh.

Been real busy at work these days. We'er short on staff, and over booked. Everyday seem that I get home from work, sleep, and head right back to work.

I can't wait till riding season gets here. I drive by the trails every morning, it's similar to torture actually, waiting to get out there again.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
johnbryanpeters said:
Morning.

I keep looking for the temperature to break, but it's not cooperating. Biking is largely confined to short breaks in the third floor playground at work. I'm still recovering from town meeting.

J
"town meeting" What are you talking about?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
johnbryanpeters said:
I'm still recovering from town meeting.

J
Did you guys vote on (and please forgive me here) that "war support survey" thingie?
I heard something about it on 'EQX yesterday.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SuzyCreamcheese said:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent! Which side of the island are you going to be? Man, I miss Peaks. I haven't been in about 5 years now. Waaaaaaaaay too long.

I just was approved for an all expenses paid trip to San Francisco in June. Of course I have to attend a conference, but I've scheduled additional time into the equation for a visit to my uncle in Napa and a few days in Bishop.

The Cheese
I stayed at a cottage overlooking sandy beach many years ago and I was able to get in touch with the owner again this year. It's my favorite spot on the island.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
G'mornin everyone!

Stosh - this isn't supposed to be one of those vacations all national lampoon styles is it? My dad loves those kind, but to me, the whole family in one vacation ....oooooh boy - no matter how great you want it to be, there's bound to be something ...:D good thing you get along with her family.

Congrats on the hockey thing IRB

I did my first yoga class last night....wow it was tough! Those women that do this regularly...dood...women like that I thought only looked the way they do cuz they're models for some new in-house gym thing or video...They were all super cool though and friendly.
Everyone told me to drink ice water with lime after the class to prevent the headache...it was "hot" yoga and oh boy do you sweat!

McGRP01 said:
Did you guys vote on (and please forgive me here) that "war support survey" thingie?
I heard something about it on 'EQX yesterday.
Yeah. The town agreed that (my paraphrasing)
- The Iraq war was based on false pretenses and its initiation had nothing to do with terrorism.
- Soldiers are OK.
- Inappropriate use of National Guard troops is having an undue effect on the state.

Support for the article was universal.

J

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
johnbryanpeters said:
Once a year, a town business meeting is held. Voters discuss town finances, roads, schools, etc., and vote on various issues. Our meeting was Tuesday from 9 AM to maybe 2 PM.

Government at its best.
hrmm thats interesting though. Anything good?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Jr_Bullit said:
G'mornin everyone!

Stosh - this isn't supposed to be one of those vacations all national lampoon styles is it? My dad loves those kind, but to me, the whole family in one vacation ....oooooh boy - no matter how great you want it to be, there's bound to be something ...:D good thing you get along with her family.

Congrats on the hockey thing IRB

I did my first yoga class last night....wow it was tough! Those women that do this regularly...dood...women like that I thought only looked the way they do cuz they're models for some new in-house gym thing or video...They were all super cool though and friendly.
Everyone told me to drink ice water with lime after the class to prevent the headache...it was "hot" yoga and oh boy do you sweat!
Well I figure once on the island we'll all be able to go our own way. Then we can all head to LLBean and Portland as a group.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Life is boring as usual. Another half inch of rain yesterday.

Finally made it the gym after a week --recovering from the flu. Going to have to go light for a few weeks to try and rebuild my shoulder.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
johnbryanpeters said:
Yeah. The town agreed that (my paraphrasing)
- The Iraq war was based on false pretenses and its initiation had nothing to do with terrorism.
- Soldiers are OK.
- Inappropriate use of National Guard troops is having an undue effect on the state.

Support for the article was universal.

J
I agree.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Morning Monkeys - As IAB reported we lost 4-3 last night, but we fought hard. I'm confident that we will be more focused right off the bat on Saturday night when our play off game. My role is to keep shooting but also to keep feeding IAB - the Monkey is a scoring machine! :thumb:

Just ordered some tires direct from Maxxis - hopefully they'll work out as good tubeless XC race tires for this year. Couldn't be the price. :cool:

What's this I hear about snow for six straight days IAB??? :mumble:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
stosh said:
Well I figure once on the island we'll all be able to go our own way. Then we can all head to LLBean and Portland as a group.
I grew up 10 miles north of LL Bean, and worked there in high school. :)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
MMcG said:
Mavic 317s - the Maxxis tires come with their own tubeless rim strips.

I also have some other Mavic wheelsets too.
I run 317's tubeless without rimstrips. And have without any problems for 2 years.....jdcamb

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jdcamb said:
I run 317's tubeless without rimstrips. And have without any problems for 2 years.....jdcamb

Jim - you'll have to PM me with your set up.

The rim strips came with the tire sale via the Maxxis site so I figure I'll give em a go and see what happens.

Mark

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
Just ordered some tires direct from Maxxis - hopefully they'll work out as good tubeless XC race tires for this year. Couldn't be the price. :cool:
Hey Mark - is that the $10 for 2 tires + rimstrips deal?
What's the word on these strips - do they supposesly make any rim tubeless? What sealent are you planning on running in there?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
MMcG said:
Jim - you'll have to PM me with your set up.

The rim strips came with the tire sale via the Maxxis site so I figure I'll give em a go and see what happens.

Mark
Pretty easy actually. Firstly you have to match the rim to the tire. You are never going to run a 317 rim tubeless with a 2.4" or larger tire. Or inversely you aren't going to have much success running a 1.9" tire on a 28mm rim. The only tires you can run are tires that have a smooth sidewall rim interface (like contis). Tape the spoke holes with strapping tape (filament tape) and finish it with a layer of electrical tape (more on this). The formula for Gu is 2oz. of slime for aggragate, 1oz. of latex, and 1.5 tbls of ammonia. To make a cockring take the valve of a standard tube and cut all the tube away. Trim away the tape from the valve hole. Buy some O rings from the hardware store to correspond to the valve stem. Take 2 valve nuts and and lock the the stem to the stem hole using the O rings to seal the hole. Coat the whole valve stem base with latex. The electrical tape is used to protect the glue from the filament tape from breaking down from the latex. The next step is the mounting process. Mount the tire except don't totally put the tire on the rim. Pour the Gu mixture into the tire and turn the tire so that you can finish mounting the tire. Liberally soap up the sidewall of the tire with a half water half dishsoap mixture. I can generally inflate a 317 to conti escape/vertical with a hand pump. You may need to use a compressor if you use another brand of tire. Inflate to 50 psi and ride the bike. After the initial ride you can run whatever pressure you would like. The important part is to seat the tire and let the latex do its job. After a tire has been leached with the latex you will no longer have to use that and the ammonia. Future installations will require only the slime. I use ammonia in the winter to keep the slime moving (to thin it out). Tires with pliable sidewalls work best. WTB tires do not seem to work as they are riddled with holes and the newer tires have a ribbing on the sidewalls to prevent you from running them tubeless. Maxxis tires seem to not work because they are poorly made and the bead stretches and the latex breaks down the sidewall. IRC tires work well but seem to burp at low pressure. The bead of a tire will make all the difference. Cheap tires use cheaper materials and generally will not work as well. Specialized tires work awesome but suck as back tires so.... Well there you have it. We call it the NSATS system......jdcamb