Quantcast

~~Good Thursday Morning!!~~

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
TreeSaw said:
Yeah, it was really bad! I was amazed that she did it. And it's not the first time for this particular student either. :rolleyes:
Thats usually how it is.
Atleast the parents were partly responsible.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
stosh said:
Thats usually how it is.
Atleast the parents were partly responsible.
Yupper and mom wasn't pleased that she had to come and get her rather than let her ride the bus back. The paperwork sucks though. Have to file an incident report, disciplinary referal, and superintendent's hearing form. Luckily, she's gone for the rest of the year.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
TreeSaw said:
Yupper and mom wasn't pleased that she had to come and get her rather than let her ride the bus back. The paperwork sucks though. Have to file an incident report, disciplinary referal, and superintendent's hearing form. Luckily, she's gone for the rest of the year.
Should have called the cops... just for fun...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I went riding with my wife last night and we got in an small argument. I wanted to go ride trails and she wanted to go ride to the gym and lift weights for about 1/2 hr and ride home. We ended up going for a trail ride!

But the argument was this: I think that going for an hour long trail ride (roughly 5 miles lots of short ups and downs) is a better workout than 8 miles on the road (30-40 minutes) + 1/2 hour at the gym. She thinks that the opposite is true. My argument is that on the trail ride there are a few hills we have to push so that is sort of an upper body workout. To me riding on the road is just a lot of coasting with nothing to get the heart going really good and the gym is just boring. What do you all think?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
jdschall said:
I went riding with my wife last night and we got in an small argument. I wanted to go ride trails and she wanted to go ride to the gym and lift weights for about 1/2 hr and ride home. We ended up going for a trail ride!

But the argument was this: I think that going for an hour long trail ride (roughly 5 miles lots of short ups and downs) is a better workout than 8 miles on the road (30-40 minutes) + 1/2 hour at the gym. She thinks that the opposite is true. My argument is that on the trail ride there are a few hills we have to push so that is sort of an upper body workout. To me riding on the road is just a lot of coasting with nothing to get the heart going really good and the gym is just boring. What do you all think?

Nobody can argue the benefits of strength training. Your muscles need that dynamic, focused attention to get out of it what you want. Not to say that you don't get certain muscle groups their focus on a trail ride.......I would say split you time and make the both of you happy campers. DO the ride to the gym twice ot three time perweek, and trail rides the rest. Those sweet guns you'll start developing will be their own reward. :)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jdschall said:
To me riding on the road is just a lot of coasting with nothing to get the heart going really good and the gym is just boring. What do you all think?
They are two different types of workouts. Riding is good and lifting weights is good. The five mile MTB ride is a probably a better workout though.

If you think road riding is a lot of coasting with minimal effort, you're not doing it right. :p Road rides can be real ass kickers (I will say that 8 miles is barely enough to make you break a sweat though).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
They are two different types of workouts. Riding is good and lifting weights is good. The five mile MTB ride is a probably a better workout though.

If you think road riding is a lot of coasting with minimal effort, you're not doing it right. :p Road rides can be real ass kickers (I will say that 8 miles is barely enough to make you break a sweat though).
What are you doing at 10am Saturday Morning?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Hit a group ride with some seasoned roadies and try to keep up. Then let's revisit that comment about road riding being just a lot of coasting with nothing to get the heart rate up. ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Greyhound said:
Nobody can argue the benefits of strength training. Your muscles need that dynamic, focused attention to get out of it what you want. Not to say that you don't get certain muscle groups their focus on a trail ride.......I would say split you time and make the both of you happy campers. DO the ride to the gym twice ot three time perweek, and trail rides the rest. Those sweet guns you'll start developing will be their own reward. :)
Yeah like hippies know anything about weight lifting, unless they have to fill their 6' bong up.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Echo said:
Hit a group ride with some seasoned roadies and try to keep up. Then let's revisit that comment about road riding being just a lot of coasting with nothing to get the heart rate up. ;)
Yeah, yeah, yeah... I mean just this short ride to the gym. Not road biking in general.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
Not much, I don't think! What do you have in mind??
I will be at the Ucon Health Center Parking lot at 10am.

Weather pending maybe we could ride.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
What are you doing at 10am Saturday Morning?
I Are Baboon said:
Not much, I don't think! What do you have in mind??
perhaps you two should go take a class to learn how to use the Private Messaging function that is conveniently built into vbulletin message boards.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
stosh said:
Yeah like hippies know anything about weight lifting, unless they have to fill their 6' bong up.

Even then, it isn't really a workout as you need two people for the six-footer. One to pack and light; one to do the tokin'. :cool:

Dammit, stosh........you're just baiting me into this stuff aren't you? ......Sitting back and laughing at the hippy. :devil:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Greyhound said:
Yep. I spent the winter doing this 2-3 times a week and the guns are looking decent. But now its sunny and I want to be outside! But maybe I'm just being greedy or possibly lazy. Right now I'm only making it to the gym about once per week.

Oh and :stosh: as you can see from his sig. Greyhound lives by a cow pond in Mebane. Have you ever been to Mebane? He's much more likely to have cars on blocks in the yard and a bathtub meth lab than to have a 6' bong.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Greyhound said:
Even then, it isn't really a workout as you need two people for the six-footer. One to pack and light; one to do the tokin'. :cool:

Dammit, stosh........you're just baiting me into this stuff aren't you? ......Sitting back and laughing at the hippy. :devil:
Yeah pretty soon I'll be throwing gum in your dreads.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
perhaps you two should go take a class to learn how to use the Private Messaging function that is conveniently built into vbulletin message boards.
That would defeat the purpose of me trying to make Mark feel guilty.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Shyrmp said:
Good Morning Stosh! :D

Went for a stroll along the beach last night....other than that not too much going on.

Have a good day! :)
Oh isn't that nice... the beach....

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
narlus said:
unless you treat it like a sprint.

can you average 24 mph for 20 min? i'd say you might get a bit sweaty. ;)
20 mph is about all I can manage on my ss and even then I'm spinning so fast I want to hurl.