Quantcast

~~Good Thursday Morning!!~~

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
mmm... coffee...

worked from home yesterday, managed to get my laundry done and unload the car from a long road trip weekend, took the dogs for a little spin and then hit a new loop on the SS. There's a trail I run regularly - starts a mile from my house, incredible single track descent down to a creek that runs through the redwoods. I've always wondered if I could climb out on the SS... last night I found out I could :thumb:. So my new loop is: a mile of paved climbing from the house, quick hit of single track climb, and then about two miles of fireroad with nice sunset views. Rollercoaster singletack descent through the redwoods to a deserted paved road, mellow couple of miles (passed two cars in about 20 minutes) with great starry sky views, then a singletrack climb back to the top, narrow overgrown sidehill trails all the way, quick descent on the road and then into the hottub. About an hour door to door.

Now I'm in the office all dressed up for our weekly team meeting, which as been cancelled... so it's coffee and RM for me.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
hey... speaking of downhilling... I assume most places (I guess Plattekill is the one I'm most interested in) offer different degrees of difficulty in their DH runs, no? I've been thinking about checking out pkill sometime... but I'm not sure how much me or my bike can handle at this point, so I'd want something kind of modest to get started.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
jacksonpt said:
hey... speaking of downhilling... I assume most places (I guess Plattekill is the one I'm most interested in) offer different degrees of difficulty in their DH runs, no? I've been thinking about checking out pkill sometime... but I'm not sure how much me or my bike can handle at this point, so I'd want something kind of modest to get started.
Absolutely! Most DH trails are marked the same way ski trails are (green circle=easy, blue square=intermediate, black diamond=expert, etc.). I'm going to Platty for the first time this weekend to race beginner. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

splat

Nam I am
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Noway! Im in Bayer Material Sciences Pittsburgh, dont worry im not planning on staying but it is a pretty cool gig to get 3 weeks out of college... :thumb:

well Maybe its differnt for you , but I became a Bayer Employee out of an aquasition. and they royally reamed us!!! they kept wanting to Xfer me to Pittsburg ,but I kept turning that down.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
jacksonpt said:
Yeah, most places mark them, but some are better than others. Good places will also mark "features" (drops, bridges, etc.) with signs just before them too :thumb: Try out diablo. Some very rideable and not too DH oriented trails there.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
johnbryanpeters said:
I'm still planning to come for sausage and beer, at the least!
Man that totally sucks, sorry to hear that!!!

Well get well quickly!!!

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
jacksonpt said:
... sick the last 2 days... shivering cold to sweating through my clothes ...
Oh ya, I sneezed all over that derailluer, I was sick at the time...
Forgot to tell you... :sneaky:

COmtbiker12 said:
... Steve McQueen ... a bit of a crazy person...
Way-back-when, my best friend's dad raced desert bikes w/ McQueen.
He had some stories... :evil:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
ET_SoCal said:
Oh ya, I sneezed all over that derailluer, I was sick at the time...
Forgot to tell you... :sneaky:

Way-back-when, my best friend's dad raced desert bikes w/ McQueen.
He had some stories... :evil:
Lol that's freakin' awesome! :D :p