Quantcast

$$Good Thursday Morning$$

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
hooples3 said:
reactor.. I guess the next step is taking all that info and bringing it to court??? I would talk to someone about sueing her... there is no reason for you to pay for her stupid moves...
But Im glad your ok from the accident
I have an attorney, and it looks like we'll be suing. He says he's never seen an insurance company as aggressive as AAA is being towards me. Their insured is 100% at fault, she even admitted fault at the scene.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Reactor said:
Good morning all!

About a three months ago I was hit by a car turning through a bike lane into a condo complex. I was riding at 20 mph in the bike lane and she passed me with her brakes on and immediately executed a right turnn in front of me.

I got a letter from my lawyer last night. It seems the insurance company of the girl that ran me over is insisting I was riding on a side walk, not the bike lane, so they are only half at fault. There are four problems with their hypothesis.

1. I would never ride a $2000 road bike on a sidewalk, its too brutal and you're more likely to get hit. Have you ever seen a spandex wearing cyclist riding on the sidewalk?
2. An Eye witnesses was deposed and said I was in the bike lane.
3. The officer picked up parts of my bike form the bike lane, while he was filling out the accident report and writing her several tickets.
4. In tempe it's legal to ride a bicycle on the side walk, so she'd still be at fault:
City of tempe code:

Sec. 7-53. Driving vehicles across sidewalks.

No person shall drive a vehicle upon or across a sidewalk except to enter or leave the roadway and only after giving the right-of-way to all bicycles or pedestrians lawfully upon the sidewalk.

I was distraught I didn't sleep all night.
Dude their job is to give you as little money as possible. It's your job to get as much money as possible. Go talk to a lawyer. Sue them for a few million plus your lawyer costs. Gotta play the game as much as it sucks.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Echo said:
Dude their job is to give you as little money as possible. It's your job to get as much money as possible. Go talk to a lawyer. Sue them for a few million plus your lawyer costs. Gotta play the game as much as it sucks.

That's pretty much what my lawyer said, without any figures. She's 100% at fault, there's no question at all, and we'll probably end up filing suit but in the end it's just going to end up hurting them.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
We had a crappy night last night.

Like everybody else we are suffering from the heat wave. I think we hit 99 yesterday with the heat index around 110. Around 6:30 pm a big t-boomer rolled through and knocked out the power. It didn't come back on until around 6:30 am this morning. Christ it was hot. Sleep was impossible. Wife was cranky. It was no fun. The upside was that I got to eat 1/2 gallon of ice cream that was trying its best to melt.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Hey, Reactor....

I'm sorry to say I have no legal advice to give you, but I feel really bad for your situation and I hope everything works out for you. Did you at least end up getting a new bike?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Good morning all.

Not much going on today. Meeting bluebug for lunch, then we're going to ride this evening, hopefully a good long ride. Other than a ride, that's probably all that's planned for this evening.

Last night involved some very good ribs and putting together furniture. It was actually fun. And the thunder storms ripped through here and tore trees down and such, so today's trail ride should be interesting to say the least.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
bluebug32 said:
Hey, Reactor....

I'm sorry to say I have no legal advice to give you, but I feel really bad for your situation and I hope everything works out for you. Did you at least end up getting a new bike?
I purchased a really nice replacement bike (Specialized Roubix comp triple), but haven't been compensated yet. The insurance company send me a $418 check for a $2000 bike, upgraded wheels jersey,shorts,camelbak, helmet, HRM, and assorted parts, saying I was at fault. On the memo line of the check was "FINAL PAYMENT FOR PROPERTY LOSS".

Needless to say my attorney laughed and sent it back.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
Greyhound said:
My younger brother came by yesterday and was all bumming 'cause he got fired from his construction job. He and some of the crew got busted smoking a bowl at lunch. .... But then again....this IS the construction business---where your ability to roll a pinner is a requirement for employment...... :D
Sooo was he fired because they were smoking a bowl instead of a pinner since rolling one is a requirement? :confused:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
Sweet! I think we're riding at 4:30pm or 5pm. We generally hit the Party Glass afterward too...you're more than welcome to join us.
Ahhhh....thsoe boys, not my boys. Gotcha! Wish I could, but I work until 6pm so I'm heading out with the usual suspects around 6:30.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
PonySoldier said:
Sooo was he fired because they were smoking a bowl instead of a pinner since rolling one is a requirement? :confused:

Dunno.....maybe the dude that busted them preferred pinners over bowls......maybe it was better weed than what he was holding---who knows. Either way, not so good of an outcome for my brother. But, the downside for the framing crew was that they fired 4 guys total. All experienced and capable framers that just so happen to have a penchant for the sticky-icky. Meh.....it happens.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Greyhound said:
Dunno.....maybe the dude that busted them preferred pinners over bowls......maybe it was better weed than what he was holding---who knows. Either way, not so good of an outcome for my brother. But, the downside for the framing crew was that they fired 4 guys total. All experienced and capable framers that just so happen to have a penchant for the sticky-icky. Meh.....it happens.
At least construction is a fairly good business to get re-established in, as opposed to the corporate world.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Reactor said:
I purchased a really nice replacement bike (Specialized Roubix comp triple), but haven't been compensated yet. The insurance company send me a $418 check for a $2000 bike, upgraded wheels jersey,shorts,camelbak, helmet, HRM, and assorted parts, saying I was at fault. On the memo line of the check was "FINAL PAYMENT FOR PROPERTY LOSS".

Needless to say my attorney laughed and sent it back.
Damn...

Despite the fact that cyclists are doing something great for their health (when American's are packing on the pounds) and for the environment, we still don't seem to be taken seriously or respected for what we do.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
bluebug32 said:
Damn...

Despite the fact that cyclists are doing something great for their health (when American's are packing on the pounds) and for the environment, we still don't seem to be taken seriously or respected for what we do.
Automobile and energy lobbiests have a LOT of power...

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
robdamanii said:
At least construction is a fairly good business to get re-established in, as opposed to the corporate world.

Ha! That's funny.........just thinking about my brother and the corporate world in the same sentence make me chuckle. But hey....if you're a "C" student, and you do drugs, you too just might become president!!! :D

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Greyhound said:
Ha! That's funny.........just thinking about my brother and the corporate world in the same sentence make me chuckle. But hey....if you're a "C" student, and you do drugs, you too just might become president!!! :D
Well then, I've still got a chance.

I know a couple guys in the construction bit, and they've found work pretty easily after being "let go" for various reasons....

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MtnBikerChk said:
I've got a 10-month old at home.
It's not quite as funny when you get to experience both smells repeatedly on a daily basis.:help:

She's so totally worth it though :love: :love: :love:

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
is echo gonna hit on your sisters at deck party this year?

Oh btw, just bought a frame from MMcG, gonna build it up as an SS. Pick it up on Saturday.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Crazy Sweeper said:
is echo gonna hit on your sisters at deck party this year?

Oh btw, just bought a frame from MMcG, gonna build it up as an SS. Pick it up on Saturday.
The SC? that's a great frame!

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Good Morning/Afternoon Monkies! :D

My bikes are loaded on the back of my truck and I am not so patiently counting down the hours before I get to head out to Mammoth.

Have a good day everyone! :)