Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
jacksonpt said:
It would probably depend on the frame/fork I end up with. I've thought about a cowan frame with a 100 DJish fork, in which case I would definitely SS it. If I go with something like an explosif and a more XC fork, I'll probably gear it... there's no way I can ride the trails around here in one gear... too much elevation change.
The explosif is an AWESOME SS frame :drool: Echo's got a great set-up on his! The Cowan is definitely beefier, but you could always go with an easier gear ratio and work your way into a more difficult set-up for XC. I don't know that I will be able to do it either, but I like to torture myself so I am going to be doing a lot of SS rides this spring!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
how's that house savings fund growing? ;)

sweet frame, looks like the Kona Hot i used to have.

didn't do much last night. worked late, got home @ 8 and my wife went off to her book club. spent a bunch of time pulling out tunes for potential spin class mixes.
The house saving fund has turned into a wedding saving fund.
Hopefully it will be a wash post wedding but we'll see.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
TreeSaw said:
The explosif is an AWESOME SS frame :drool: Echo's got a great set-up on his! The Cowan is definitely beefier, but you could always go with an easier gear ratio and work your way into a more difficult set-up for XC. I don't know that I will be able to do it either, but I like to torture myself so I am going to be doing a lot of SS rides this spring!
There's a small but fun set of DJs in town, and my little cousin is starting to get into that. I've played around on them with my 575 a bit, but I'd like something more suited to that kind of riding... something smaller/beefier. The cowan would be a perfect fit for that.

The explosif would be nice, but I LOOOOOVE my 575, so I'm not sure how much use another XC/trail bike would get.

What ever happened with you and the 575 you were working on getting?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Sunny and it will be 68 degrees today.

Time to read a book.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
jacksonpt said:
There's a small fun fun set of DJs in town, and my little cousin is starting to get into that. I've played around on them with my 575 a bit, but I'd like something more suited to that kind of riding... something smaller/beefier. The cowan would be a perfect fit for that.

The explosif would be nice, but I LOOOOOVE my 575, so I'm not sure how much use another XC/trail bike would get.

What ever happened with you and the 575 you were working on getting?
Then the Cowan sounds like the right frame for you...can be built as a SS or geared and is beefy enough to hit the jumps for sure.

I am still planning on getting a 575 for this race season...just need to part with the Jekyll. I have it all specked and just need to finalize an order with T-blazer (hopefully sooner rather than later) :thumb:

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
Cleaning out my apartment (no house) while in the process of moving in with Laura.
Hey, that's great news!
Congratulations Mark.
I wish much happiness for the two of you.
Now how many kids will there be in the house?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
TreeSaw said:
I am still planning on getting a 575 for this race season...just need to part with the Jekyll. I have it all specked and just need to finalize an order with T-blazer (hopefully sooner rather than later) :thumb:
ah, very cool... what's the build going to be like?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
TreeSaw said:
Then the Cowan sounds like the right frame for you...can be built as a SS or geared and is beefy enough to hit the jumps for sure.
or just kill two birds w/ a single rock and build a singlespeed dirt jumper, around the Cowan frame.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
narlus said:
or just kill two birds w/ a single rock and build a singlespeed dirt jumper, around the Cowan frame.

Yea, thats pretty much what I had planned:
jacksonpt said:
It would probably depend on the frame/fork I end up with. I've thought about a cowan frame with a 100 DJish fork, in which case I would definitely SS it. If I go with something like an explosif and a more XC fork, I'll probably gear it... there's no way I can ride the trails around here in one gear... too much elevation change.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Today is the first day of classes for C term. In a few short moments I will depart to enjoy the wonder that is the Principles of Electrical Engineering. After that I have Ordinary Differential Equations followed by American History in the afternoon. What a boatload of joy. That and the fact that I am having all kinds of issues registering for these classes and getting the appropriate information. Doesn't help that my advisor kind of screwed me by sticking me with classes that were impossible to take due to scheduling conflicts and not having taken a particular math class that I need as a prerequisite to most of the other engineering classes that I have to take. Just one big giant mess that I only realized a few days ago, though my older brother was able to help me sort through it all and now things are better. Oh boy, what a way to start the day...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
jacksonpt said:
ah, very cool... what's the build going to be like?
Frame: small 575 (debating between raw and orange)
Drivetrain: SRAM - probably X9
Brakes: Hayes HFX-9s
Wheels - Hopefully mavic XM819 UST rims with Maxxis tubeless, but I can go regular if I need to shave some $ off the price.
Rear Shock: Fox Float RP3
Fork: Fox Vanilla 130RL
Probably Truvative cranks, Time pedals, WTB She-V Ti saddle

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Sweet frame, Stoshy! Are you going to be building it up with us this weekend??
No and you're not to mention anything to Aubrey either. I'm having it shipped to my office... :)

It will be a truly stealth bike!!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
TreeSaw said:
Wheels - Hopefully mavic XM819 UST rims with Maxxis tubeless, but I can go regular if I need to shave some $ off the price.
very nice.

Not sure about the price differences, but if the 819s don't work out for you, I run DT Swiss 4.1d rims on mine and I've been very happy with them. They aren't tubeless, which is really the only downside IMO. A good combo of light weight and strength.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
No and you're not to mention anything to Aubrey either. I'm having it shipped to my office... :)

It will be a truly stealth bike!!
this has bad news written all over it... unless it's ultimately for her.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
jacksonpt said:
very nice.

Not sure about the price differences, but if the 819s don't work out for you, I run DT Swiss 4.1d rims on mine and I've been very happy with them. They aren't tubeless, which is really the only downside IMO. A good combo of light weight and strength.
Sweet! Thanks for the tip! I want this to be my all-around XC bike (when I am not SSing) and my race bike so I am hoping for light weight and durable (especially because of the terrain I ride on everyday).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
TreeSaw said:
Sweet! Thanks for the tip! I want this to be my all-around XC bike (when I am not SSing) and my race bike so I am hoping for light weight and durable (especially because of the terrain I ride on everyday).

let me know yr time management skills...these don't sound like typical words from a impending mother w/ a full-time job.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
small frame w/a 130? you sure it wouldnt be a chopper?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
TreeSaw said:
They should be strong enough for you. I weight about 180lbs (or at least I have for the last couple of summers... on my way down to 160lbs at the moment :) ) and they have served me well. I'm very hard on my gear and beat the crap out of my wheels. I taco'd on rim on a bad crash 2 summers ago, other than that, they've held up great. I have them trued about twice a season, that's it. I highly recommend them if you don't mind that they aren't tubeless.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
TreeSaw said:
one other small suggestion, then I'll shut up...
consider a fork with some type of travel adjustment if do a lot of climbing, particually steep climbing. I've found that dropping my TALAS down makes a huuuge difference.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
this has bad news written all over it... unless it's ultimately for her.
Ahh you're a guy... you understand that you can't just be like "Hey can I spend $450 on MORE bike stuff" it's a subtle and slow process!!!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
Ahh you're a guy... you understand that you can't just be like "Hey can I spend $450 on MORE bike stuff" it's a subtle and slow process!!!
oh yea... I totally understand. I also understand that even if you take it slow and build it up over several months, she will eventually find out. Then she'll cut your balls off.

oh, wait...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
oh yea... I totally understand. I also understand that even if you take it slow and build it up over several months, she will eventually find out. Then she'll cut your balls off.

oh, wait...
Actually hopefully I can get some money for my old frame/wheels to help off set the costs.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Morning all,

Stosh, that frame looks like it's going to be a great bike someday.

TreeSaw said:
Treesaw, Sounds like a great build! I love the X.9!

My epic came in at about 26.5 pounds with the heavy UST tires on it. If I put on some lite racing tires, getto tubless with Stans, I should get down to around 25-25.5. I'm pretty happy with it even at the current weight, pedals, shifts and feels great. I'll probably keep the current tires on given the up coming cactus-fest at 24 HTOP.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Reactor said:
Morning all,

Stosh, that frame looks like it's going to be a great bike someday.

My epic came in at about 26.5 pounds with the heavy UST tires on it. If I put on some lite racing tires, getto tubless with Stans, I should get down to around 25-25.5. I'm pretty happy with it even at the current weight, pedals, shifts and feels great. I'll probably keep the current tires on given the up coming cactus-fest at 24 HTOP.
Thanks man I hope so!!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
narlus said:
let me know yr time management skills...these don't sound like typical words from a impending mother w/ a full-time job.
Well, I am anal when it comes to planning and scheduling ;) Actually, Sq-Earl and I have a tentative riding schedule worked out and I plan on hitting the CX/XC trails in Central Park on my lunch breaks at school for training purposes. I also do have a wonderfully supportive husband (who's going to crew for my solo/duo races this summer) and LOTS of babysitters already in line! Now, I just need to have her, enjoy her and remember...I am a teacher and have summers off!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
havings lots of babysitters lined up is key; we don't have any immediate family near-by for much of the year, so we kinda had limited 'free time' options.

it's hard to predict how things will go as everyone's situation is different, but best of luck w/ everything!

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
TreeSaw said:
LOL! I thought about that, but I don't think it will be too bad. I am also looking at some other FOX forks too...just in case ;)

Float 130's can be converted to 100's with a spacer change, I'm not sure of the ride height change.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
douglas said:
small frame w/a 130? you sure it wouldnt be a chopper?

You'll be fine with a 130 on there Treesaw. We had a small in our shop, it comes with a vanilla 130 stock. There won't be any problems with it being raked out, although I do agree on looking at a fork with some sort of travel adjustment feature.

Also, enjoy the SS frame. I loved it. Now if I can only get my bikes togethor for the upcoming year:help:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
jacksonpt said:
They should be strong enough for you. I weight about 180lbs (or at least I have for the last couple of summers... on my way down to 160lbs at the moment :) ) and they have served me well. I'm very hard on my gear and beat the crap out of my wheels. I taco'd on rim on a bad crash 2 summers ago, other than that, they've held up great. I have them trued about twice a season, that's it. I highly recommend them if you don't mind that they aren't tubeless.
I think they will be "beefy" enough for me too ;) Sq-Earl on the other hand has managed to stop-sign several rims. :p

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
narlus said:
havings lots of babysitters lined up is key; we don't have any immediate family near-by for much of the year, so we kinda had limited 'free time' options.
werd! We only have one sitter (my in-laws), and it's very hard for them to take both of our kids, so my wife and I get very little free time together. It will be easier with one child, but get them sitters lined up ASAP. If they can be people you are friends with/close to anyways, that makes things even easier as the little one will be comfortable around them from the get go.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Reactor said:

Thanks...I am thinking it will be a solid build for me. I definitely know what you mean about the cactus-fest...I was LUCKY last year (didn't have tubeless) and didn't manage to get any flats!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mackie said:
Hey, that's great news!
Congratulations Mark.
I wish much happiness for the two of you.
Now how many kids will there be in the house?
Sometimes there will be four kids in the house, other times, just two, and still other times none.