Quantcast

~~Good Thursday Morning!!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
narlus said:
if you want a good workout in a short amount of time, then don't bother w/ a road bike...imo, a hardtail w/ slicks is fine. hell, since it's less efficient than a roadie, you will get a better workout. :D

...........or

if you get a roadie and do group rides with people that are slightly faster than you, you will stay motivated to bust your ass to keep up ... definitely makes a nice 2 or so hour workout

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
douglas said:
...........or

if you get a roadie and do group rides with people that are slightly faster than you, you will stay motivated to bust your ass to keep up ... definitely makes a nice 2 or so hour workout
exactly...which is why i don't do group roadie rides :D

why spend >1K on something i don't need?

it sounded to me like treesaw was slower than sq-earl anyway (which is who i am assuming she's gonna road ride w/ ; if it's solo, problem solved), so he should be on the mtb for the rides.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
TreeSaw said:
Definitely. I love technical XC trails and DHing at Diablo so I am sure I couldn't convert. I am just using the road bike to get in some extra training miles on those days when I only have a short time in which to cram in a ride.
A better idea is to slow down and smell the roses. Buy a cruiser, save yourself some dough and enrich your life :thumb:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Good Morning!

I went for a 2.5 hour mountain bike ride with a friend after work. Awesome day. I rode the 575 to work, then rode it home at lunch and switched to my DEAN Ace and rode back to work, then rode to the trail after work and did a big loop and rode home. We rode up to the snowline and I was amazed how far we got. Keep on meltin baby!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
narlus said:
if you want a good workout in a short amount of time, then don't bother w/ a road bike...imo, a hardtail w/ slicks is fine. hell, since it's less efficient than a roadie, you will get a better workout. :D
Yeah, that's what I have been running for a couple of years. Now it's time to take the next step. Plus, we're hoping to get some longer road rides in and we have a beautiful area in which to ride.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
narlus said:
exactly...which is why i don't do group roadie rides :D

why spend >1K on something i don't need?

it sounded to me like treesaw was slower than sq-earl anyway (which is who i am assuming she's gonna road ride w/ ; if it's solo, problem solved), so he should be on the mtb for the rides.
Unfortunately, regardless of the number of hours I train and how hard I bust my a$$, I will always be slower than Sq-Earl. :( I would like to join some of my other friends for roadie group rides too (aka Doug, Echo, Heather M. etc.). I have the desire to ride but limited time Monday - Thursday.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
TreeSaw said:
Yeah, that's what I have been running for a couple of years. Now it's time to take the next step. Plus, we're hoping to get some longer road rides in and we have a beautiful area in which to ride.
ah, the benefit of local family as sitters...the last time i did an xc ride w/ my wife was over 6 years ago. :mumble:

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I spent a couple of hours building some new jumps yesterday. And as soon as I get out of lab today I'll head back for some more riding. And hopefully in a day or two I'll have in my hands a sweet new clapton t shirt. All in all not a shabby week.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
narlus said:
ah, the benefit of local family as sitters...the last time i did an xc ride w/ my wife was over 6 years ago. :mumble:
We are definitely blessed to have so many local sitters. Between my mother, my 2 sisters and my private students (not to mention my eager neighbor) we're set for quite some time and no one person will get worn out. :D

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
TreeSaw said:
BWWAAAHHHH! Sort of what I was thinking ;)

Edit: I do slow down and smell the roses when I am pushing the stroller around :D
Good deal. As long as you spend some time doing it :)

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Well, good afternoon to all. Doug, I somewhat feel your pain: 10 days off riding as well and I still have tendonitus in my elbow...annoying to say the least but not as bad as achilles tendon!

Going to the "other" (bike shop) job tonight then off to a dinner with friends to benefit the local aids council here in smalbany.

To further annoy my tendonitus, I plan to pick up beer/trail tools then do some riding Friday, do major trailwork at the Pittstown SF on Sat and then hit Plattekill on Sunday for opening weekend. I hope the race course for next weekend will be "visible" by then. Anyone else here going? I'll be the long hair on the Kona Stab!