Quantcast

~~Good Thursday Morning!!~~

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
How is everybody?

Well the sun is shining today which is GRRRREAT!!
I had a muddy ride last night with Beth and a friend from work. I really really really enjoyed the ride last night for some reason. I think it's because I hadn't been out in over a week. It was slippery and I couldn't cruise thru some of the DH sections but I had a ball last night.

Hope ya all have a great day!!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Today is my Friday!!

and, change of plans - I will be taking my bike to GA, I am pretty pysched to have an opportunity to ride the same bike course as was used in the '96 olympics

splat

Nam I am
douglas said:
Today is my Friday!!

and, change of plans - I will be taking my bike to GA, I am pretty pysched to have an opportunity to ride the same bike course as was used in the '96 olympics
My Friday too :) wooo hoooo

What changed that you taking your Bike ?

Take your lights too :) And when last minute some one needs a rider -- just say F*** it and do it !!!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mornin Stosh, all.

Not much exciting going on around here. Another gloomy forcast but decent looking day. I'm hoping to work in a ride, but hot holding my breath... I have a ton of crap I have to do.

Our boat has been for sale, and last night we got an offer which we took. Assuming the guy's financing doesn't fall through, we should be in good shape. There's one non-necessity gone...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tonight we are going to look at a house to Rent/Buy. The house currently sits on 20acres along the Shawangunk Kill. We will be renting the house until the owners finish subdividing the property which will be in approx 6months at which point we will be given first "dibs" on purchasing the home. The home is 1200 Sqft plus a fully finished apt. downstairs. When the sub-division is done it will sit on an awesome parcel of land totalling 5acres.
The owners are family friends of mine and I've known them for a long time. We won't be going thru realestate agents when I purchase the house so that should save me a few K.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Morning everyone, brungeman went out last night and busted our A$$'s on our new trail trying to bench in some off camber stuff. Put in a few berms and started measuring for the 24' bridge section we are putting in...

Trail is coming slow, but once it gets done it will be dreamy...

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Morning all. Caution: wet ride diatribe ahead. Doug, where were you?

Once again, Wednesday nite ride whips my fat ass. The scenario is as follows: meet up with uber xc expert racers on light bikes, chase them through some moderate but wet trails in Grafton Lakes State park; then we descend down Ward Hollow, a 100 year old town road that was built straight down the mountain, so now it'a gullied out stream basically eroded about 6 feet deep in spots. I chase and pass now slower XC folks down stream bed and over very large green slimy rocks - at least I shine there... 800 feet of descending later, we're in Pittstown State Forest.

We then go out and ride Zig Zag (the name of the trail due to switchbacks) up hill all the way. I feel the exhaustion of trying to keep their pace set in. Luckily I have "50 year old Long Island" Charlie to hold the back line with me. However, he calls himself a washed up jock, so off he goes trynig to keep pace with the featherweights. I crawl up the switchbacks...then it begins to pour just as we reach the possbily furthest out point from our return. All the rocks on the singletrack turn green with slime. downhill slime is OK, but uphill slime is a spinout for biggish me on big bike....Charlie and I finaly catch up sopping wet with the others and then cut out part of the singletrack together to get a jump on the climb back into the park. Here is where I hit the wall...wet, cold and out of shape aerobically is a match not made in heaven.

Anyway, aforementioned xc-er's catch up with us on the climb up Kautz Hollow, another rocky town road that was at least made 100 years ago with drainage and climbing in mind. I totally bonk and have to stop every few minutes to keep the vomit and heart rate down....2 3/4 hours and 14 miles later at 8:45, I'm back to the car covered in 10 lbs extra of mud and rain soaked clothes. Crappiest ride of the year, but oh well. It was stil better than not riding at all, I think...I guess this is one to be coded as "putting in the work", though I don't know how all this climbing will help my DH racing!

Anyway, hope you all have better rides today than I had yesterday.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh, good news on the house front, sounds cool.

it was like a heatwave here yesterday, musta gotten to almost 70F. whew!

found a neat green tree frog in the garage last night; he must have been a flood refuge.

rode into work today for the 1st time. felt pretty good, nice morning to do it.

splat

Nam I am
stosh said:
Tonight we are going to look at a house to Rent/Buy. The house currently sits on 20acres along the Shawangunk Kill. We will be renting the house until the owners finish subdividing the property which will be in approx 6months at which point we will be given first "dibs" on purchasing the home. The home is 1200 Sqft plus a fully finished apt. downstairs. When the sub-division is done it will sit on an awesome parcel of land totalling 5acres.
The owners are family friends of mine and I've known them for a long time. We won't be going thru realestate agents when I purchase the house so that should save me a few K.

No offense because they are friends , but still get a Good real estate Laywer!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
splat said:
My Friday too :) wooo hoooo

What changed that you taking your Bike ?

Take your lights too :) And when last minute some one needs a rider -- just say F*** it and do it !!!
HM talked me into it, she wanted me to bring it so she could use it as her spare bike, so during the race we'll throw on speedplays, a shorter stem..and lower the seat

I dont see myself joining a team, what kind of crew quits in the middle of a race to go do the race himself??

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
it has been raining here for about 10 days...unreal...Right before the rain started we were all out on a ride and it was so dusty, i was choking riding behind guys....Made the comment about how i wished it would rain...

I guess watch what you wish for...:dead:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Jim Mac said:

yeah..I had to go back to eastgreenbush so my car insurance didnt expire today, then it started pouring and the storm was headed towards grafton....I was pretty annoyed, but then my friend called and was trying to talk me into riding at the PB, and I could see clear skys in Albany....

I felt bad being I told you i would be at Grafton

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
douglas said:
yeah..I had to go back to eastgreenbush so my car insurance didnt expire today, then it started pouring and the storm was headed towards grafton....I was pretty annoyed, but then my friend called and was trying to talk me into riding at the PB, and I could see clear skys in Albany....

I felt bad being I told you i would be at Grafton
Ahhh, no worries! Just looking for more people to be miserable with!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
splat said:
No offense because they are friends , but still get a Good real estate Laywer!
Of course!!
Believe me everything will be fully by the book with lawyers and what-not. I'm not the type of person to get involved in this type of deal but the timing of everything seems to work great!!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
girlfriend woke me up crying, while on the phone with her mom, complaining that her grades aren't posted yet. graduation is tomorrow. she's got a 3.8 GPA (graduate hours, not undergrad) and is scared she failed a class, despite having a solid A going into the final.

she's obviously never actually had to worry about grades.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
the Inbred said:
girlfriend woke me up crying, while on the phone with her mom, complaining that her grades aren't posted yet. graduation is tomorrow. she's got a 3.8 GPA (graduate hours, not undergrad) and is scared she failed a class, despite having a solid A going into the final.

she's obviously never actually had to worry about grades.
wow, sounds like my fiancee'

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:

Morning! Looking foward to another bright day of Loco baiting and riding some trails this weekend.

The new place sounds awesome! Well, as awesome anything can be without the horses stables that populate your current place...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
'morning :stosh: ... 'morning :monkey:s

Should be a great day. Weather has been awful for weeks but it looks like sunny skies for the next 3-5 days or so. Goling street riding tonight and working on my jib-o-tastic skilz yo.

I'm waiting on some new parts for BOTH my bikes ... I can't wait. I love to wrench on my bikes. I got a great deal on a set of Juicy 5s w/203 rotors and a ti spring for the Turner. I borrowed a Pike for my Evil but I had to buy a maxle to use it, which should be in today too. If I like the fork I'll sell my Z1 and buy the Pike.

Have a great day everybody.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tame Ape said:
Morning! Looking foward to another bright day of Loco baiting and riding some trails this weekend.

The new place sounds awesome! Well, as awesome anything can be without the horses stables that populate your current place...
This place sits on the same stream and the same road that I live on now. I love the horses and all.... but they can tend to smell and attract flies in the summer!!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
stosh said:
How is everybody?

I had a muddy ride last night with Beth and a friend from work. I really really really enjoyed the ride last night for some reason. I think it's because I hadn't been out in over a week. It was slippery and I couldn't cruise thru some of the DH sections but I had a ball last night.
Yeah, last night was like trying to ride through a chocolate milkshake. I had fun last night, but my riding was really off. I had a painful fall about 2 minutes into the ride and that kind of killed the mojo from there on out. Hopefully I'll heal up quickly and get back out this weekend! It's beautiful today!!:cool:

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:
This place sits on the same stream and the same road that I live on now. I love the horses and all.... but they can tend to smell and attract flies in the summer!!
Horse flies unquestionably suck.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Yeah, last night was like trying to ride through a chocolate milkshake. I had fun last night, but my riding was really off. I had a painful fall about 2 minutes into the ride and that kind of killed the mojo from there on out. Hopefully I'll heal up quickly and get back out this weekend! It's beautiful today!!:cool:
Hey what's up CHILL OUT?

I'm going to ride Friday.
You guys coming to ride Saturday or what?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tame Ape said:
Horse flies unquestionably suck.
Even worse than horse flies are all the hundreds and hundreds of regular files they attract.
The buzz around your head when you're sleeping in the morning.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
stosh said:
Hey what's up CHILL OUT?

I'm going to ride Friday.
You guys coming to ride Saturday or what?
Dude, my elbow and leg are f'ing throbbing today!

It was just an off night for me, but it was cool hanging out with you guys and I know next time will rock. Looking forward to it.

Not sure about Sat. I'm going to call the LBS today and see what's up with the wheels. You racing Sun?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Dude, my elbow and leg are f'ing throbbing today!

It was just an off night for me, but it was cool hanging out with you guys and I know next time will rock. Looking forward to it.

Not sure about Sat. I'm going to call the LBS today and see what's up with the wheels. You racing Sun?
I'm planning on racing!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Jim Mac said:

Once again, Wednesday nite ride whips my fat ass. The scenario is as follows: meet up with uber xc expert racers on light bikes, chase them through some moderate but wet trails in Grafton Lakes State park; then we descend down Ward Hollow, a 100 year old town road that was built straight down the mountain, so now it'a gullied out stream basically eroded about 6 feet deep in spots. I chase and pass now slower XC folks down stream bed and over very large green slimy rocks - at least I shine there... 800 feet of descending later, we're in Pittstown State Forest.

We then go out and ride Zig Zag (the name of the trail due to switchbacks) up hill all the way. I feel the exhaustion of trying to keep their pace set in. Luckily I have "50 year old Long Island" Charlie to hold the back line with me. However, he calls himself a washed up jock, so off he goes trynig to keep pace with the featherweights. I crawl up the switchbacks...then it begins to pour just as we reach the possbily furthest out point from our return. All the rocks on the singletrack turn green with slime. downhill slime is OK, but uphill slime is a spinout for biggish me on big bike....Charlie and I finaly catch up sopping wet with the others and then cut out part of the singletrack together to get a jump on the climb back into the park. Here is where I hit the wall...wet, cold and out of shape aerobically is a match not made in heaven.

Anyway, aforementioned xc-er's catch up with us on the climb up Kautz Hollow, another rocky town road that was at least made 100 years ago with drainage and climbing in mind. I totally bonk and have to stop every few minutes to keep the vomit and heart rate down....2 3/4 hours and 14 miles later at 8:45, I'm back to the car covered in 10 lbs extra of mud and rain soaked clothes. Crappiest ride of the year, but oh well. It was stil better than not riding at all, I think...I guess this is one to be coded as "putting in the work", though I don't know how all this climbing will help my DH racing!

Anyway, hope you all have better rides today than I had yesterday.

Cool report, Jim......felt like I was there with you---well minus the coating of mud and choking back vomit. At least you can find some humor in it now. :cool:

Not much to report today. Did a ride at my local loop yesterday evening and beat my fastest time by about 8 minutes. I really didn't feel fast at all---actually quite sluggish....but I just fell into a spin rate and stayed there the whole time. Course, I'm lugging around a 38lb trailbike, so we're not talking a blistering pace by any stretch of the imagination. :hot:

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:
Even worse than horse flies are all the hundreds and hundreds of regular files they attract.
The buzz around your head when you're sleeping in the morning.
Reminds me of the trip I took to mainland China between junior and senior years in high school.

One of the places we visited was a rice refinery/factory. Holy moly! That place was foul as all hell! The room where they stored these huge (and I mean huge, like body-bag huge) bags of rice was filled with horse flies. What was really amazing about it though was how loud it all was and that the bugs were all flying in a cone formation in this little room. We're talking about thousands of flys in a 10x10x18 room. Amazing and totally gnarly.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Went riding despite threatening thunderstorm skies. It turned into a very pleasant ride though! Then I watched Lost. Dammit, I want more answers!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tame Ape said:
Reminds me of the trip I took to mainland China between junior and senior years in high school.

One of the places we visited was a rice refinery/factory. Holy moly! That place was foul as all hell! The room where they stored these huge (and I mean huge, like body-bag huge) bags of rice was filled with horse flies. What was really amazing about it though was how loud it all was and that the bugs were all flying in a cone formation in this little room. We're talking about thousands of flys in a 10x10x18 room. Amazing and totally gnarly.
Do you still eat rice?

splat

Nam I am
bluebug32 said:
D You racing Sun?
You and rob should do it too!

also last night on my Ride home from work, I have a flat tire, apiece of glass puntured the tire. after much trouble , long story short.

I ended up stuffing a 700X35 tube into a Very small 700x20 tire. but it was an awesome night for a ride, had to cut it short to go to my Son's little league game.

also Can't ride tongiht :( have a meeting at my Daughters school!

But I have tommorow off so Looking to go ridning in the AM

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
splat said:
You and rob should do it too!

also last night on my Ride home from work, I have a flat tire, apiece of glass puntured the tire. after much trouble , long story short.

I ended up stuffing a 700X35 tube into a Very small 700x20 tire. but it was an awesome night for a ride, had to cut it short to go to my Son's little league game.

also Can't ride tongiht :( have a meeting at my Daughters school!

But I have tommorow off so Looking to go ridning in the AM
Meet me at Stewart at 4pm tomorrow.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Echo said:
Have fun Doug, we expect a full report :thumb:
I am hoping the digi (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2) camera I ordered (mybday present to myself) will arrive tonight!

I also hope we set up camp next to team The Groovy Girls (5 person all female)

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
I am hoping the digi (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2) camera I ordered (mybday present to myself) will arrive tonight!

I also hope we set up camp next to team The Groovy Girls (5 person all female)
Have fun dude!!!! Sounds awesome! :thumb: