Quantcast

~~Good Thursday Morning!!~~

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
How is everybody today?

I have poison ivy all over my left eye. Apparently I weed wacked a bunch of it. I didn't do to much last night, pulled out a few dead pine tree bushes with my xterra, thats always fun. I let Aubrey do it, she wanted to pull down every tree in the forrest after she got the rush of pulling the first one out. I think 9 out of 10 women would enjoy the same testosterone boosting activities men do if they would just try them.

Hope ya all have a great day!

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
morning Stosh, finished painting one of the rooms last night. Other than that, just trying to stay cool.

Edit: Am I really the first responder? Cool! My day is complete...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
dogwonder said:
Edit: Am I really the first responder? Cool! My day is complete...
see I always say that when I get to have pre-work lovin!!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Sorry to hear about the Poison Ivy, stosh! That's GOTTA suck. Glad I'm immune.

Wifey sold my old Marzocchi MXC 100mm air fork on eBay yesterday for $107.50. HOORAY! It's been sitting in box since I got my Vanilla fork three years ago.

Got the rest of my bike parts yesterday, so I'm all set to ditch work tomorrow to ride. Thursday is the new Friday! It's supposed to be sunny and 95 tomorrow.

I'm going to my LBS tonight to get properly fitted for my road bike. I've never been really comfortable on it. The shop told me to plan on being there for 90 minutes. :eek: What the hell are they going to measure?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
stosh said:
I think 9 out of 10 women would enjoy the same testosterone boosting activities men do if they would just try them.
I hear ya... few things are funnier than my 57 year old mother cutting off dead branches in her backyard with my sawzall... she gets this big smile on her face. :rofl:

Rain, rain go away... I need to mow my lawn... :mad:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Morning Stosh. Bad news on the poison ivy. I have had that stuff 3 times this year, so I feel your pain.

Was supposed to trap shoot last night. Storms were rolling through the area and it started to rain. I have issues with depth perception in the rain and didn't feel like spending that much money to shoot in miserable conditions. I am guaranteed to catch sh!t today from coworkers, so I must prepare for that.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Wide angle lenses are neat....

That's my excitement of the day.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ian F said:
I hear ya... few things are funnier than my 57 year old mother cutting off dead branches in her backyard with my sawzall... she gets this big smile on her face. :rofl:

Rain, rain go away... I need to mow my lawn... :mad:
I've never heard of anybody using a sawzall to cut branches with. Thats funny!

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Good morning! Not a whole lot of excitement here. I am glad it's almost the weekend. :weee: I did get a cute patio set for $100 off the other night, which is about as fun as it gets lately.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I Are Baboon said:
I'm going to my LBS tonight to get properly fitted for my road bike. I've never been really comfortable on it. The shop told me to plan on being there for 90 minutes. :eek: What the hell are they going to measure?
Many things... be sure to bring a full riding outfit with you. If they do it like my LBS does, they'll set up your bike in a stand, take some measurements, make some adjustment, have you pedal in the stand for a bit to "settle", take more measurements, and so on. Unlike fitting a mtn bike, micro adjustments make a big difference when your position on the bike doesn't change much for a few hours at a time.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yesterday afternoon and last night kinda sucked (except for the Magic Hat Circus Boy Hefes I drank). I gotta crap review from my boss which = in order to get any raise that'll be retroactive to July 1st, I have to meet a series of lame ass performance goals that make absolutely no sense whatsoever for where I have things headed in my department at the current time.

Then I started wrenching on my bike to try a slightly longer stem and I can't for the life of me get the play out of the headset. I shoulda just left well enough alone.

Frustrating.

Congrats on the Fork sale IAB and MBC. Have fun at Pedal Power tonight.

How much do they charge for the bike fitting? What if they tell you you are on the totally wrong sized bike?

I have to go to an office picnic on Friday night, to an outdoor concert of the Hartford Symphony Orchestra playing the music of the Eagles. Tickets have already been purchased for me and Laura and her two daughters, and after that crappy review, I really don't feel like going at all. Perhaps I can inebriate myself heavily before the concert and everything will go okay, but I have the feeling it is going to be a really sucky evening.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Rode the mountain bike for the first time in 2 weeks. I can tell the road miles have really made an impact on my fitness which was the idea.

The kitchen is progressing nicely. They are going to be stitching in the wood floor patches today and finishing the last bit of the demo.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
stosh said:
I've never heard of anybody using a sawzall to cut branches with. Thats funny!
When used with a very aggressive wood cutting blade they're quite effective for small, quick jobs when you don't feel like digging out the gas-powered chain saw.

I also use metal cutting blades in mine. I haven't used a manual hack-saw in ages. :rolleyes:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ian F said:
Many things... be sure to bring a full riding outfit with you. If they do it like my LBS does, they'll set up your bike in a stand, take some measurements, make some adjustment, have you pedal in the stand for a bit to "settle", take more measurements, and so on. Unlike fitting a mtn bike, micro adjustments make a big difference when your position on the bike doesn't change much for a few hours at a time.
Yeah, like I said I've never been totally comfortable on the bike, so I am hoping the proper fitting will make a difference.
MMcG said:
How much do they charge for the bike fitting? What if they tell you you are on the totally wrong sized bike?
I don't know what they charge for a fitting, but they give you a free one when you buy a road bike. I never had that done though, so they're letting me have mine now (I've had the bike for two years).

Sorry to hear about your crappy review, dude. :(

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Hi there!

Not a lot to report. Long days here at work. We're back from a week vacation and it seems like I've forgotten how everything works around here. Which means it was a good vacation. Got the yard back in shape, the house cleaned up and groceries back in the fridge.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
throw some images up. what'd you get?
sigma 18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6 DC super duper wide angle...It was ebay and cheap.

pictures sometime later....I need to find something interesting to take a picture of....or take a interesting picture, which ever comes first.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Sucky past couple days. Sucky night last night, but the weekend looks good. Going to a friends for a BBQ on Sat. and then Treesaw and I are taking Dogwonder & bro on a tour of the SMBA trails on Sunday. Weather looks great for the whole weekend and I'm really looking forward to getting on my mountain bike after riding the roadie exclusively for the past 2 weeks.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I Are Baboon said:
Sorry to hear about the Poison Ivy, stosh! That's GOTTA suck. Glad I'm immune.

Wifey sold my old Marzocchi MXC 100mm air fork on eBay yesterday for $107.50. HOORAY! It's been sitting in box since I got my Vanilla fork three years ago.

Got the rest of my bike parts yesterday, so I'm all set to ditch work tomorrow to ride. Thursday is the new Friday! It's supposed to be sunny and 95 tomorrow.

There will likely be many hands around your thighs...
Actually, probably stem, seat pitch, post height, cleat placement, bar width, stem rise, yadda yadda yadda.

Morning. Not much going down today. Long day of labs, and that's about it. Pretty easy day brain power wise. This evening I need to pack to head home and have my suits taken in, but that's pretty much all there is.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sup yall. It was HOT riding in to work today. It's gonna DAMN HOT on the way home. But still better than being one of those robots in a car.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
MMcG said:
Then I started wrenching on my bike to try a slightly longer stem and I can't for the life of me get the play out of the headset. I shoulda just left well enough alone.

Frustrating.
How many times I gotta say it: King :D

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
MMcG said:

Frustrating.
You might need another spacer under the topcap if the stack height between the two stems is different. Getting a more expensive headset solves nothing.

splat

Nam I am
Morning ! Back home , felt good to sleep in my own bed. Still have off from work today and tommorow still , gotta get stuff ready for 24 Hrs of Pats Peak this weekend. get all the lites ready , charge all the batteries . some fine tuning on the bikes. ,etc ,etc

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
yes, I agree - no worky for me tomorrow!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew said:
sigma 18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6 DC super duper wide angle...It was ebay and cheap.

pictures sometime later....I need to find something interesting to take a picture of....or take a interesting picture, which ever comes first.
the car pics you post...what lens are you using for those?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Morning all. Feel better, Stosh! That stinks. You better lay off doing that until after the wedding! I'm sure the photographer will charge extra if he has to use the bandaid tool on all your headshots ;)

Working from home today. Trying to get this MTB article done. Too many interviews. Maybe I set the bar a little too high, but I got 5 pages for the article and hopefully this will be my last hurrah and a new job will come along soon. I've been making some great contacts lately, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Tame Ape said:
You might need another spacer under the topcap if the stack height between the two stems is different. Getting a more expensive headset solves nothing.
I dunno about that. Sure you can survive with a cheap headset, but the truth is I generally used to get no more than a few months out of a cheap headset (when I used them) and I've got a King headset that's going strong after 8 years.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Echo said:
I dunno about that. Sure you can survive with a cheap headset, but the truth is I generally used to get no more than a few months out of a cheap headset (when I used them) and I've got a King headset that's going strong after 8 years.
Just saying even a cheap headset can also give years of trouble free usage if you don't screw it up. MMcG's issue could be caused by the topcap bottoming out on the steerer tube.

Mind you you I have CKs on both of my fun bikes and a cheap unsealed Ritchey POS that came without grease on my commuter. They all feel the same to me

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Good afternoon. Thus far today I have been playing with my little monkey, cleaning my kitchen and laundry. Then it was onto cake baking (I am making a friend's son his first birthday cake). Unfortunately, I was one egg short so I hopped on my road bike (I don't have a car home today as my husband's truck is at the shop, he has my car and my sister has our other car), rode to the store to get a dozen eggs and rode home. Not bad for thinking I wasn't going to be getting a bike ride in today.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
TreeSaw said:
Good afternoon. Thus far today I have been playing with my little monkey, cleaning my kitchen and laundry. Then it was onto cake baking (I am making a friend's son his first birthday cake). Unfortunately, I was one egg short so I hopped on my road bike (I don't have a car home today as my husband's truck is at the shop, he has my car and my sister has our other car), rode to the store to get a dozen eggs and rode home. Not bad for thinking I wasn't going to be getting a bike ride in today.
I didn't know you were bringing cake on Sunday, you didn't have to do that ;)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It was mechanic error that caused the play in the headset. I guess I was more pissed off and unfocusd than I thought last night, because I was doing the stem installation procedure assbackwards.

I did it right at lunch and it's all good now. The Headset is an FSA Orbit UF and I like it a lot.

Who needs CK.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
bluebug32 said:
I need a new BB because mine has this horrible creeking to it. Not sure how expensive I should go though.
Do you run shimano cranks? If so, I've got a nice XT bb that I can't use - not the right spindle length for my frame.