Quantcast

good tires?

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
I run a Maxxis Holy Roller on the front, single ply, lighter weight street tire and a IRC Kujo (because it works and is cheap) on the rear, dual ply, heavy but no pinch flats at low pressure usually around 22-24 psi. If you aren't hitting edges with your rear tire and/or are light rider/smooth rider you might get away with a Holy Roller or similar on the rear, but I wouldn't run low pressure.

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
im no light rider man, im 6'3 almost 200lbs lol but also what psi should i run my tires at so they grip and hold on urban obstacle for say
Ha ha, me either! Like I posted earlier I run about 22-24 psi in the rear tire, but it can vary greatly depending on a lot of things. I def recommend u get a heavy duty tire and tube, aka downhill, and then try out diff pressures.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
im 6'3 and 220lbs and run maxxis dual ply supertacky mobster in the rear. not sure the pressure, but its pretty low cause i can bottom it out will rear wheel hopping. ive bottomed it hard on edges with no problems. tho i am running a dh tube as well

ive heard the minions work well too

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Construction in Subterfuge
I am 6'4" and about 190 lbs and like a Maxxis Holy Roller up front and Hookworm in the back. I believe they come in both single or dual ply. I use light weight tube, but talc them first and run them at 40 psi. I have never gotten a pinch flat running this set-up.

Talc or baby powder in a bag and shake'n'bake them tubes.

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
I am 6'4" and about 190 lbs and like a Maxxis Holy Roller up front and Hookworm in the back.
Mmmmm, Hookworms. Cool tire, rolls fast and has no sidewall. I ran those front and rear a couple of years ago on a street bike and they are super tough. Just be careful not to ride on anything loose, I learned that the hard way and took a handlebar to my nards :dead:

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Correct. Talc the entire tube... you can even put some inside the tire. This will keep the tube all slickered up and keep it from pinch-flatting. In addition, running the tire pressure above 40 psi makes for a winning combination.

are you saying you talc the whole outer of the tube before you put it in? sorry im a lil confused

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Yeah, I had a similar experience when running Hookworms in front and back, and why I swapped the front out to the Holy Roller. The dual ply has a killer sidewall, but are pretty heavy. They both roll nice and fast.

Mmmmm, Hookworms. Cool tire, rolls fast and has no sidewall. I ran those front and rear a couple of years ago on a street bike and they are super tough. Just be careful not to ride on anything loose, I learned that the hard way and took a handlebar to my nards :dead:

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Fvck hookworms... Damn them to hell. If maxxis made them in 2.35 or smaller and single ply, they might be a good tire.

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
I'm too heavy/too clumsy to get away with a single ply tire on the rear. Also a wider rim def helps with the pinch flats for me. I am running a Mavic 729 which is 29mm wide but would like to go back to the 38mm echo I was running last year.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
What pressure do you run on the rear with that Intense, also what tube? Price isn't bad so I'm tempted to try it but I run real low pressure on rear.
I run it at probably 60psi, but I use it for park/street/dj, so it needs to roll fast and not fold when leaned hard. I run straight up walmart tubes and have no issues. It has a pretty thick sidewall for a single ply/folding tire, and if you ran a dh tube, it would probably hold up fine with lower psi. I'd say go for it, it's an awesome tire for any type of riding.

Last edited: