Quantcast

~~Good Tuesday Morning!!~~

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
splat said:
Good old Suntour cyclone ! How old is your Bike ?

Forgot to point out that it took a large hammer and a buttload of WD40 to get the damn bottom bracket out of the frame. I had to put the BBT on the BB, smack it with a hammer about 4 dozen times, then attach the rachet, and instead of turning it with my hands, I had to hold the BBT/rachet onto the BB with my foot and pound on the rachet with a hammer.

It was fun, actually. I considered a blowtorch, but that would have ruined the paint.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
robdamanii said:
Forgot to point out that it took a large hammer and a buttload of WD40 to get the damn bottom bracket out of the frame. I had to put the BBT on the BB, smack it with a hammer about 4 dozen times, then attach the rachet, and instead of turning it with my hands, I had to hold the BBT/rachet onto the BB with my foot and pound on the rachet with a hammer.

It was fun, actually. I considered a blowtorch, but that would have ruined the paint.
I actually bought an impact wrench because of a particularly well jammed BB once :mumble: but it worked :thumb:

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
I don't trust the interface enough to put an impact wrench on it. If you weren't perfect, you could trash the splines faster than immediately. I use a 1/2" breaker bar with the frame laying on it's side on the lawn.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
pepe said:
I use a 1/2" breaker bar with the frame laying on it's side on the lawn.
:stupid: The lawn being the important part. That way when the tool slips out or the BB finally breaks free and you fall it doesn't hurt as bad.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Tame Ape said:
Whats an 'Impact Wrench'?
Ever seen what they use to remove lugnuts?

It basically uses air pressure to "hammer" the bolt about 20 times per second at high torque. It will pretty much free anything that can be freed.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Echo said:
Ever seen what they use to remove lugnuts?

It basically uses air pressure to "hammer" the bolt about 20 times per second at high torque. It will pretty much free anything that can be freed.
Sounds like something a vigilante would use on the criminal elements.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
I thought about the impact thing at lunch and actually think I would try that. It'd have to be a good wrench with a sensitive trigger, but I may try that one day. Not a bad idea, echo.

This is the only application I could ever see this being needed on a bike, before someone decides to use an impact wrench on anything else on a bike.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
New bike is on my truck!! New pedals have been ordered!!!!! Pics to follow this evening!!!!!! Yiiippeeeeeeee!!!!!! :D :dancing: :D :dancing: :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
pepe said:
I thought about the impact thing at lunch and actually think I would try that. It'd have to be a good wrench with a sensitive trigger, but I may try that one day. Not a bad idea, echo.

This is the only application I could ever see this being needed on a bike, before someone decides to use an impact wrench on anything else on a bike.
Yeah it was a last resort and I really didn't wanna do it. I definely don't recommend it as a shortcut or easy way to remove a BB that's not totally fused. The traditional method of a wrench on the BB tool is definitely the way to go 99% of the time.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
Sweet! I can't wait to see it in person...so, when are we going for a road ride :devil:
And I can't wait to show it to you! :) I'm hoping to get out for a bit Sat. afternoon if you guys are free? That assuming my pedals get here by then. If not, I'll just move my SPD's over from the MTB. Let me know....

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
McGRP01 said:
And I can't wait to show it to you! :) I'm hoping to get out for a bit Sat. afternoon if you guys are free? That assuming my pedals get here by then. If not, I'll just move my SPD's over from the MTB. Let me know....
We're racing Cutler this weekend :eek: but I am almost done with school which means freedom to ride :thumb:

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Just getting on now. Had an interesting evening. Today my coworkers decided to take me out for my 10 years at work. It was a complete surprise and had apparently been in the works for a couple of weeks. We went to the Hudson River waterfront for beers at 5. The weather was absolutely perfect. High 70's and sunny, a nice change from the crap we've been dealing with the last couple of weeks.

It also just so happened that I was invited to a going away event at the same location for today for a friend of Suzie's who's going to work at another location. So I had two after work events the same night but didn't have to move an inch. Pretty freakie...