Quantcast

~~Good Tuesday Morning!!~~

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Needs a new ice maker machine in the fridge, which is $350. We have hard water, so everything inevitably gets backed up irreparably. I pull showerheads to be cleaned in vinegar solution every few mos and had to replace all water valves with 90* ball jr's vs. screw handles because of buildup. Our water heater has an expected life 75% shorter if not maintained. So I'm just sitting and waiting, since it was installed in such a way that I can't get the anode out, so clearly not maintained.

I frustratingly bought it from WMT though, since it was so much less expensive (50%). First time I've bought something from them in years...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Needs a new ice maker machine in the fridge, which is $350. We have hard water, so everything inevitably gets backed up irreparably. I pull showerheads to be cleaned in vinegar solution every few mos and had to replace all water valves with 90* ball jr's vs. screw handles because of buildup. Our water heater has an expected life 75% shorter if not maintained. So I'm just sitting and waiting, since it was installed in such a way that I can't get the anode out, so clearly not maintained.

I frustratingly bought it from WMT though, since it was so much less expensive (50%). First time I've bought something from them in years...
the whole unit might be $350, but is it actually the whole unit that needs replaced? last time ours busted it was only one subcomponent that needed replaced that I picked up for $100 and was able to make the swap myself.

also, if your water is that hard that you are replacing / repairing stuff on the regular you should absolutely install a water softener. ESPECIALLY if you are planning to get a hot tub.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Not yet. I'm still at the 'more attention/focus to get my stuff done/finish once started' point. Distraction is still there and needs overcoming, but it's easier to do so now. When I'm tired in general, it doesn't work great though; it's back to normal (vs. normal tired).

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Last day at the ski shop!
Wasn’t really expecting a tip this year, as I *MAYBE* worked about 15-20 hours a week. Max. But I still got a $600 cash tip for being mother-fucking awesome. :D
Colombian hookers n’ blow, here we come!

Hunh, ironically, that’s the price of one Ego Snowblower battery… :banana:

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sadly still very common in new england. most of the houses in my neighborhood still have oil.
Honestly it's not the worst thing in the world. Natural gas is certainly more efficient but then you are beholden to your propane or NG vendor. Oil you can pick and choose. I'd like to add some solar panels and leverage mini splits, but I'm not thoroughly motivated to switch. I need a new roof for solar, and I have trees in the way part of the year. No natural gas in the area either, so I'd need an outdoor propane tank.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I know JK posted about it above, but have you considered a water softener? Thinking about the same here, but it's like a 2-5$k price of entry, and I'm not sure it's worth it...but the hard water is a PITA.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Honestly it's not the worst thing in the world. Natural gas is certainly more efficient but then you are beholden to your propane or NG vendor. Oil you can pick and choose. I'd like to add some solar panels and leverage mini splits, but I'm not thoroughly motivated to switch. I need a new roof for solar, and I have trees in the way part of the year. No natural gas in the area either, so I'd need an outdoor propane tank.
It's also a plus not being one leaking tank away from a $100K+ spill remediation or having your house condemned.

We went from an oil furnace to propane (heat < 35*F) and a heat pump (AC + heat > 35*F). Mass Save has had some pretty generous rebates for installing heat pumps, it's worth looking into especially if you don't already have AC.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I know JK posted about it above, but have you considered a water softener? Thinking about the same here, but it's like a 2-5$k price of entry, and I'm not sure it's worth it...but the hard water is a PITA.
I have quite hard water (lots of iron) and have a kinetico softener. It was high dollar, but my folks have the same model and is 35 years old and still working. Worth the investment

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you're willing to do the install yourself you can get them for under $1k at home depot (start around $500). will absolutely save you money in the long run - so bust out your ///Spreadsheet @stoney

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's also a plus not being one leaking tank away from a $100K+ spill remediation or having your house condemned.

We went from an oil furnace to propane (heat < 35*F) and a heat pump (AC + heat > 35*F). Mass Save has had some pretty generous rebates for installing heat pumps, it's worth looking into especially if you don't already have AC.
ew what peasant can survive new england without AC???

That's true about the oil tank, but an insurance rider isn't that much money...like $100 a year, and our tank is not 70 years old.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
sadly still very common in new england. most of the houses in my neighborhood still have oil.
My house had an oil furnace, also used to have a coal furnace. There is still an oil pipe that exits the foundation and I will just assume it doesn't go to a long unused tank somewhere, actually I have no idea where a tank would be, there literally isn't room for one.

I did stick a boroscope down the pipe and it is capped on the other end.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My house had an oil furnace, also used to have a coal furnace
i remember when i was a kid visiting my great grandfather in west virginia his house still had a coal furnace. this was probably around 1990? i remember a giant ass pile of coal in the coal cellar too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i remember when i was a kid visiting my great grandfather in west virginia his house still had a coal furnace. this was probably around 1990? i remember a giant ass pile of coal in the coal cellar too.
I can find bits of coal in the yard where the coal shute used to be. My Grandfather had a coal delivery service when he was young. He decided to hold on to his old Diamond T Dump Truck. No one knew he still has it until after he died and we found it buried under junk in a outbuilding.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can find bits of coal in the yard where the coal shute used to be. My Grandfather had a coal delivery service when he was young. He decided to hold on to his old Diamond T Dump Truck. No one knew he still has it until after he died and we found it buried under junk in a outbuilding.
yea, my ggf was a coal miner and subsistence farmer. the stuff that's still in his barn is a time capsule.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
We have told Hilarie that she's entering memory care. She is understandably unhappy. :wave:
Damn John, after all those years together I'm sure making that decision was really hard on you. Lets hope it helps Hillary.
We're both emotionally fucked up regarding this. The transition is necessary.
Sorry to hear this JBP... good luck.

Dr increased my ADHD drugs by 50%, since current prescription fades off around noon currently. The goal is to get me through the early evening so that I can work through the day then check out.
Not yet. I'm still at the 'more attention/focus to get my stuff done/finish once started' point. Distraction is still there and needs overcoming, but it's easier to do so now. When I'm tired in general, it doesn't work great though; it's back to normal (vs. normal tired).
I have two comments:
1) ironically, with properly AD(H)D people, the drugs have the opposite effect as you go up in dose. We eventually hit a dose with my youngest where he was like a zombie... it's one of the saddest things in life to see a little boy full of life reduced to a amorphous lump wandering around aimlessly. So we backed it off from there. He's his normal happy self, but able to sit still and listen to instructions...

2) beware of the "come down" from the meds, it is very real. All of a sudden tempers flare, and people are cranky AF, and you don't really know what's going on. You have to pinpoint the time, and remember to be kind to each other... There's three of us in our household that come down in a roughly 2-hour window. Many fighting matches have ensued...
was going to say... is a heat exchanger an option?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just got a letter from my previous employer. Due to the data breach and/or ransomware attack, the wife and I get Equifax identity theft protection free for 2 years. :rofl:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
yes. that's what we have.
I just realized I skipped (or rather skimmed over) a few posts... reading is phundamental amirite?!

anyways... how long have you had it and are you happy with it? if I'm not mistaken you're in a area that gets occasional power outages. Has that been a problem at all?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just realized I skipped (or rather skimmed over) a few posts... reading is phundamental amirite?!
no, i had just been pointing out that they are still common in this region. in fact, our house had been oil up until a few years before we bought it. many of our neighbors are still stuck on oil, since our street doesn't have NG.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
jeezus. dude i visited had a 1000 acre farm in the hills off the blue ridge parkway, roaring gap area. he took me on a tour of the property. all i could think about was all the trails that could be built there...

parent's house in maine is oil heated. as was the one i grew up in in connecticut.