Quantcast

good TV show

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Extreme Makeover

I'm not sure how often they rebuild destroyed homes of needy and worthwhile families, but if they do it often enough, this show needs higher rating to boost revenues so they can keep doing what they do.

Tonight, they rebuilt a home destroyed in a fire that housed a woman who fostered eight kids, half of which had serious disabilities. They put in an elevator even so when they made the home three stories, the 'mom' wouldn't have to carry the disabled kids upstairs every night.

Good stuff :)

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
There was an article in Newsweek (i think) that was just about how everything they made was built reeally shoddily and some things didn't even work, but were just made to look nice for the cameras.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ok, I hear ya, but that just sounds like hater-talk to me.

I mean, the elevator looked like it really worked. They have a house now where before, they had a pile of ashes. Plus, you can't really fake two washers and two dryers. And since she has 8 kids, that's a really nice feature.

So, props to them for doing whatever good -- no matter how 'little -- they can do.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
LordOpie said:
ok, I hear ya, but that just sounds like hater-talk to me.

I mean, the elevator looked like it really worked. They have a house now where before, they had a pile of ashes. Plus, you can't really fake two washers and two dryers. And since she has 8 kids, that's a really nice feature.

So, props to them for doing whatever good -- no matter how 'little -- they can do.
Um.... This had nothing to do with the episode that you saw.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the Inbred said:
so do property taxes go up when the value of the house goes up?
probably, but would you turn down a $50,000/yr raise cuz you didn't want to pay more taxes?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
think these people who are typically barely able to make ends meet as it is can afford the taxes when their appraisal value triples?

personally speaking, my mom's property has gone from $70k to just over $100k in the past 10yrs or so. that alone is draining.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
the Inbred said:
think these people who are typically barely able to make ends meet as it is can afford the taxes when their appraisal value triples?
Im sure most of them sell the houses they get built and buy spinnner rims or meth with the cash.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the Inbred said:
So you're a anti-silverlining kind of guy, huh? Like to find the negatives in stuff, eh?

How about the fact that this house will save them money, ya know, like not having to buy a new house?

And Jason, they do build houses for non-disabled people too.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm all for the silver lining. silver lining disappears quickly, though.

one of my economics professors told me, "in order to be a good economist, you gotta be a pessimist. you're too optimistic. stop playing nice; how would you screw over the other guy?"

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i have a BA in econ and think that's bogus. Being emotionally detached from the numbers is valuable, but pessimistic?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
the Inbred said:
i'm all for the silver lining. silver lining disappears quickly, though.

one of my economics professors told me, "in order to be a good economist, you gotta be a pessimist. you're too optimistic. stop playing nice; how would you screw over the other guy?"
Well, this is retarded for a couple of reasons.

First off, the $200,000 value of the house exceeds many many many years of taxes, so even if they couldnt keep up, they'd still come out ahead selling it.

2nd, what most people pay in rent/mortgage would easily make up for taxes in MOST areas. Since they got a FREE house, they should have the cash to spare. Unless, of course, they're idiots (which is probably the case because they cant seem to manage a way to find a decent place to live int he first place) then they deserve whatever they get.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
LordOpie said:
i have a BA in econ and think that's bogus. Being emotionally detached from the numbers is valuable, but pessimistic?
take it up with him. he was the reason I got into economics. his outlook was completely different than what i have seen from other eco profs. then again, he graduated with a 2.-- from Harvard with a degree in physics.

--edit--

his masters and Ph D came from UCLA, eco.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
the Inbred said:
take it up with him. he was the reason I got into economics. his outlook was completely different than what i have seen from other eco profs. then again, he graduated with a 2.-- from Harvard with a degree in physics.

--edit--

his masters and Ph D came from UCLA, eco.
Then why is he teaching a bunch of snot nosed college kids instead of making millions in the real world with all his brilliant economic insight.:clue:

As far as the show.
Tonight's episode, they took a lady who has dedicated her whole life to caring for and living with special needs children.
Their house burned down.
The show came in, and built them a 5,000 square foot, super nice house so this lady and her nine handicapped kids have a home again.
They built each room so that it suited each child's needs.
What a bunch of bastards.:rolleyes:

This show is annoying because of how deliberate they are in pulling out the violin and making people cry. But there is no doubt, they do some good $hit.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Jeremy R said:
Then why is he teaching a bunch of snot nosed college kids instead of making millions in the real world with all his brilliant economic insight.:clue:
he's already put in a substantial amount of time at the Federal Reserve. now he's doing research, and is about to finish a book.

vamkie

Chimp
Mar 8, 2006
MMike said:
But really...how good can a house be when it was thrown together in a 7 day panic? I've always wondered about that show.
the only thing that needs time to set properly, is concrete.
They have like 200 people, around here a 10 man crew builds houses in 45 days just working during the day.

the concrete is the only thing i have ever wandered about.

BUT it is a great show - kudos to ABC, Sears and the builders that build the house.

I have only ever watched like 5-6 episiodes and they usually get a large check to cover other things like utilities, old mortgages, taxes, college eductaions.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
BurlyShirley said:
2nd, what most people pay in rent/mortgage would easily make up for taxes in MOST areas. Since they got a FREE house, they should have the cash to spare. Unless, of course, they're idiots (which is probably the case because they cant seem to manage a way to find a decent place to live int he first place) then they deserve whatever they get.
I can't believe you had to spell that out.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I agree...that is a cool show (although I have only seen a handful of episodes).

As far as the tax issues go, I've seen episodes where they give the families money to cover the taxes. Not to mention, college scholarships for the kids, cars, trucks, etc. Yeah, really crappy thing ABC is doing there.

I'd let them smash into my house and fix it up any time. :)

J

JRB

No one should ever help anyone. :think:

This was pure sarcasm, but fits in with so many's selfish attitudes.