Quantcast

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Well its 12 hours later and we are still here. I don't know whether to be relieved or upset.

I told a girl about it today here's what she said:

"We could hide in the Italian hills"
"We could design a floating ship"
"I don't even have a will"
and " we should go and stop them".

Me and her husband just looked at each other.

to the dude who asked if I was Jason: The clue is in my username. No.

To SkaredShtles: Cookies? I don't understand.

By the way, I'm sitting here sharing a beer with DaveW having a laugh about the world and Americans...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
wait... so you're telling me that there are ships that don't float???
Sorry, I think she said "flying". In otherwords, she was trying to come up with ways to escape a black hole imploding the universe...:redface:

You back in NZ for a bit? Say "hi" to that wanker for me. :D
Nah, he's over here. He says if the world does implode, at least we won't have to listen to Yanks any more...

APIOQM

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
High energy collisions don't start until October 21st guys! Today was just a test to see if they could circulate the beam. No worry's, we're still all going to get sucked into a black hole...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
High energy collisions don't start until October 21st guys! Today was just a test to see if they could circulate the beam. No worry's, we're still all going to get sucked into a black hole...
Read the thread buddy, we're over black holes. Now we're onto bacon, flying ships, and me just learning that Damo is a Kiwi.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
FAKE! He was lip synching!

Seriously though, the other day I'm watching an old episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Stephen Hawking was on there so I did an IMDB search and found this Gem of a credit:

Stephen Hawking
Actor:
"The Simpsons" (1 episode, 2007)
- Stop or My Dog Will Shoot (2007) TV episode (voice)

Wait, what!?! he got credited with voice? That has to be one of the funniest serious things I've seen in a while but is true, i guess.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
FAKE! He was lip synching!

Seriously though, the other day I'm watching an old episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Stephen Hawking was on there so I did an IMDB search and found this Gem of a credit:

Stephen Hawking
Actor:
"The Simpsons" (1 episode, 2007)
- Stop or My Dog Will Shoot (2007) TV episode (voice)

Wait, what!?! he got credited with voice? That has to be one of the funniest serious things I've seen in a while but is true, i guess.
Take what you can get, I guess.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Heh. Black holes. I've done a bunch of reading on the subject, and in order for a black hole to not only form, but sustain itself you need a LOT of mass, and a LOT of energy. Like, a star - a big honking ball of gas and plasma. And it needs to explode (supernova). After it explodes, the fusion inside the star stops. At this point, one of 2 things will happen. What remains will either collapse in on itself, or it won't. If it doesn't collapse, the remaining gas will simply disperse as a cloud through space (or something along these lines). If it DOES collapse on itself, it will do another of 2 things... form a neutron star or form a blackhole.

For the amount of mass they're using at the LHC (hundreds of times exponentially less than a star), even IF a blackhole somehow manages to form, it will not have enough mass or energy to sustain itself and will quickly (we're talking a few nanoseconds here) dissolve.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Heh. Black holes. I've done a bunch of reading on the subject, and in order for a black hole to not only form, but sustain itself you need a LOT of mass, and a LOT of energy. Like, a star - a big honking ball of gas and plasma. And it needs to explode (supernova). After it explodes, the fusion inside the star stops. At this point, one of 2 things will happen. What remains will either collapse in on itself, or it won't. If it doesn't collapse, the remaining gas will simply disperse as a cloud through space (or something along these lines). If it DOES collapse on itself, it will do another of 2 things... form a neutron star or form a blackhole. Like you said if it did form it would likely disapear very quickly.

For the amount of mass they're using at the LHC (hundreds of times exponentially less than a star), even IF a blackhole somehow manages to form, it will not have enough mass or energy to sustain itself and will quickly (we're talking a few nanoseconds here) dissolve.

That is how black holes happen in the Newtonian sense. In the crazy world of quantum mechanics anything can happen at any time, a tiny black hole can apear anywhere. The odds under most circumstances is rediculously slim. At the energy levels that can be obtained in the LHC the probability of a black hole forming are ten times higher than rediculously slim.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That is how black holes happen in the Newtonian sense. In the crazy world of quantum mechanics anything can happen at any time, a tiny black hole can apear anywhere. The odds under most circumstances is rediculously slim. At the energy levels that can be obtained in the LHC the probability of a black hole forming are ten times higher than rediculously slim.
More importantly, its how a blackhole that could be a threat to the general well being of our planet would form (the newtonian one, not the quantum one).

Yes, based on the kind of particle bombardment we experience on a daily basis from cosmic radiation, these micro blackholes probably have formed, but have obviously never been a threat to anything substantial. Then again, it may explain why I keep losing socks in the dryer...