Quantcast

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
No wonder Damo just bailed on France all the way back to NZ..... he wanted to say his final goodbyes to the family. :cray:
I would rather be closer....at least you would have a front row seat to the end of the world!

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
im 500% sure that animation was the death star firing its laser.

Thats the truth, its out, its all good providing your not in the rebel alliance or nuffin....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Where's my effing hands!!! Ahhhh! My Hands are phugging gone. OH crap they are in my pockets... Scared myself... If This collider doesn't do something cool soon I going to blow**** up to make up for this big yawnfest. I want for southern france to go down like a turd swirling down the toilet. Maybe Paris will fall in too.... BOhm Bohm Bomb... Smoke on the water... Fire in the sky!!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/02/lhc_power_failure_again/

The Large Hadron Collider - most puissant particle-punisher ever assembled by the human race - has suffered another major power failure, knocking not only the atomsmasher itself but even its associated websites offline. The machine remains unserviceable at present. However its crucial cryogenics seem to have been unaffected, and no catastrophic damage is thought to have occurred.
Still trying to save us all with some help from some friends.

We ourselves find it hard not to suspect the involvement of some pan-dimensional police force, seeking to prevent humanity acquiring parallel-universe portal capability before we're ready to use it responsibly.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
So anyway... The end of the world is going to be tomorrow.

Link

Two proton particle beams have been circling in opposite directions in the magnet-lined tunnels at 3.5 TeV since 19 March.

Having established their stability, these beams will now be allowed to cross paths and collide on Tuesday. This 7 TeV event will be the highest energy yet achieved in a particle accelerator.
You know how I think the 27km long LHC tunnel would be better used in the name of science? Empty it and use it to see if Formula 1 cars actually do create enough downforce to enable them to drive upside down in a tunnel. Now that's science!!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You know how I think the 27km long LHC tunnel would be better used in the name of science? Empty it and use it to see if Formula 1 cars actually do create enough downforce to enable them to drive upside down in a tunnel. Now that's science!!
Awesome.

I remember seeing on Top Gear that Gumpert was making the same claim about the Apollo. Problem was, it had to be going 150+ mph to make that happen, and they couldn't find anyone crazy enough to try it.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
now call me crazy, or will recreating the big bang, i dont know, blow our entire universe to pieces, you know, like it did last time?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
"The Large Hadron Collider—the world's largest science experiment—has shattered records by colliding particles with an energy equivalent to that of about seven flying mosquitoes. The energy of the motion of a flying mosquito is equal to about 1 tera electron volt."

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
"The Large Hadron Collider—the world's largest science experiment—has shattered records by colliding particles with an energy equivalent to that of about seven flying mosquitoes. The energy of the motion of a flying mosquito is equal to about 1 tera electron volt."
so it has to be that large, for the strength of 7 bugs? :eek:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Total energy and energy density are two completely different things. Same reason why you can shoot someones hand off with a pistol but your hand doesn't get blown off shooting the gun.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
These scienticians have gotten so bored with smashing protons over and over again that they have finally said "Hey, now that that guy Damo is lured into believing all is safe and well, lets try smashing Lead Ions together!"

Since 2009, the world's highest-energy particle accelerator has been smashing together protons, in a bid to shed light on the fundamental nature of matter.

But now the huge machine will be colliding lead ions instead.

The experiments are planned for early November and will run for four weeks.
He said the tests could provide an insight into the conditions of the Universe some 13.7 billion years ago, just after the Big Bang.

They will look at the Universe fractions of a second after a tiny but very dense ball of energy exploded to create the cosmos as we know it today.
"Although the tiny fireballs will only exist for a fleeting moment (less than a trillionth of a trillionth of a second) the temperatures will reach over ten trillion degrees, a million times hotter than the centre of the Sun,"

Awesome. I'll have my marshmallow-on-a-stick ready...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
And I bet its because of Damo and his damn collider thingy. :disgust1:

Robert Fitzpatrick does not lack conviction.

The 60-year-old ex-MTA employee has plunked down $140,000, his life savings, to help spread the word that the world will end on May 21, 2011.

"I'm trying to warn people about what's coming," Fitzpatrick told the Daily News. "People who have an understanding [of end times] have an obligation to warn everyone."

Fitzpatrick spent his money on 1,000 placards on subway cars and several more on bus shelters around the city. They read: "Global Earthquake! The Greatest Ever - Judgment Day: May 21."

The retiree's beliefs are based on the predictions made by Harold Camping, who claims the rapture will take place on May 21. Fitzpatrick said the cataclysmic event will happen just before 6 p.m. Eastern.

Camping made a similar world-ending prediction in 1994, but he admitted he got his calculations wrong that time.

Fitzpatrick said he has no doubt that Camping's latest proclamation is correct.

"It is the date," Fitzpatrick said. He also said he doesn't "want to think about" the possibility he's wrong.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/13/robert-fitzpatrick_n_861529.html