Quantcast

goodbye mini, hello TDI Sportwagon

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
so you got a VW??:confused:
yeah but we got the diesel and it came with 10 years 100000 miles of warranty and service as part of the deal.

the engine on the mini is an unrealiable POS. had to pull the valve head 3 times for carbon build up, replaced 3 water pumps, two turbo rebuilds, numerous other gremlins and we just hit the warranty end so we dumped it before we got hit in the wallet for that crap.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
yeah but we got the diesel and it came with 10 years 100000 miles of warranty and service as part of the deal.

the engine on the mini is an unrealiable POS. had to pull the valve head 3 times for carbon build up, replaced 3 water pumps, two turbo rebuilds, numerous other gremlins and we just hit the warranty end so we dumped it before we got hit in the wallet for that crap.
It's german car with a french engine.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Despite the recent debacle with our sunroof on ours, I think you made a good choice (though I would have skipped the nav).

We just got back from Yellowstone and over the course of three hundred miles and two days we averaged over 51 mpg in ours. On the way back with much faster driving (over 100mph at a few points) we were still over 40 mpg. And it manages it while not driving like a giant turd (Prius, I'm looking at you).

Is that 100k bumper to bumper or just drivetrain?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
wow

It's german car with a french engine.
no wonder it gave up on him so much

We just got back from Yellowstone and over the course of three hundred miles and two days we averaged over 51 mpg in ours. On the way back with much faster driving (over 100mph at a few points) we were still over 40 mpg. And it manages it while not driving like a giant turd (Prius, I'm looking at you).
awesome

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Not sure the French engines are as bad as this thread indicates. I have more experience with their diesels and they made some really good engines over the last 20 years.