Quantcast

Goodbye Sportworks :-(

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
As many know, the Sportworks hitch racks are among the best. Then they sold to Thule, and were the same great racks. NOW, Thule has run out of their stock of them, and are coming out with their own "new" version of the Transport racks.

I talked to one of the reps on the phone yesterday, and she said they changed a few little things, one of which is the locking mechanism. I think they added a Cable lock option too. Lets hope that they don't screw this one up too bad!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the addition of a locking mechanism is one of the things that sportworks actually needed, so this may turn out well yet

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Toshi said:
the addition of a locking mechanism is one of the things that sportworks actually needed, so this may turn out well yet

I agree with you on that one, I'm just hoping they don't screw anything else up.

Plus, on my Sportworks, IF I leave my bikes on it unatended (which only happens for 5 minute trips into 7-11 or leaving them in a friends driveway) I just use my NY Kryptonite lock and a Kyrpto cable, and lock them to the 4 bar thing :thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Check out the Yakima Hookup hitch rack. Yes, it is a "knock-off" off the Sportworks design BUT IMO it is better because it is cleaner, simpler and sturdier. It comes in a basic two-bike version but can be upgraded to a four-bike as well.

If there is one thing better about the Sportworks, it's that you can add a third and fourth bike individually whereas with the Yakima you can only add the third and fourth together. Also to fold the Yakima up you need to remove a pin, fold the rack then replace the pin (which takes a few extras seconds) whereas the Sprotworks has a quick-release lever. However I have seen the Sportworks QR lever fail and the Yakima cannot fail.

I have had a two-bike Hookup for a few months now and it's absolutely perfect. MSRP is $349 and the two-bike add-on is another $249 so the price is in the same ballpark as the Sportworks.