Quantcast

Goodridge hose installation

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I am installing a Goodridge hose to my front brake and need some help:

I have stainless fittings, do I have to take 11mm of the plastic cover off like with the aluminium fittings? The instructions that came with the hose don't imply that, but all the instructions on the internet do not make any differentiation with the stainless and aluminium fittings.

If I do not peel the plastic cover off, the collars (see the picture below) are able to go on the end of the hose, but the thread on the collar prevents sliding them any further, so the end of the hose remains inside the collar. Should I be able to get the end of the hose completely through the collar in the installation phase?
goodridge_collar.jpg

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I can't quite understand your description of the problem, and it's been ages since I owned those hoses, but I skimmed the 11mm off the ends of the hose even on the kit with stainless fittings - I don't think the fitting material matters for that. Once the 11mm is removed, the hose should slide all the way into the parts you have circled, until it seats against the flat part at the end.

I actually kinda skimmed the plastic much thinner with a stanley knife instead of completely taking it off if I remember correctly, just to give some connection between the metal and plastic outer sleeve, but I don't think that's important.

Excuse the vague reply, but my answer to your first question would be yes.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
The instruction leaflet that came with the hose kit have separate instructions for the stainless and aluminium fittings. For the aluminium, the instructions tell to remove the plastic for 11mm length. For the stainless, there is no word about removing the outer plastic, hence I thought that the inside diameter is probably bigger in the stainless fittings.

Now my real question is, should I be able to push the hose through the collar so that the hose goes through the collar thread, or should it stop against the thread?
goodridge_collar2.jpg

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
no it does not have to go completely through the collar, the idea is to thread in the parts on the left and basically clamp the hose between the outer part and the part you thread into the collar...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the new brakes are so good I can't believe anybody uses goodridge anymore. Good to see they're still kickin' though, I suppose.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
no it does not have to go completely through the collar, the idea is to thread in the parts on the left and basically clamp the hose between the outer part and the part you thread into the collar...
Thanks. There is no need to peel the plastic cover off then.

Sandwich, the Goodridge hose is replacing a damaged hose on an old Deore M525 brake. Since the hose needs replacement anyway, I wanted to try if the Goodridge is a real upgrade.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The image on the right is correct, the hose should not extend through the collar completely, only until it seats. If you don't need to cut the plastic to fit it that far then don't cut anything.

The original goodridge hoses used to be thicker (and you had to cut the plastic, or else they wouldn't fit), but now they are thinner to perhaps ease installation.

Personally I preferred the older ones, on the thinner ones the lever response felt sluggish, perhaps due to pushing fluid through a smaller ID hose. Didn't cause any performance issues though.