Quantcast

Google Chrome OS

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
it was only a matter of time before they introduced this.
they were tight lipped over their Mobile OS for years before they finally released it....itll be nice to have something besides Windows

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
it was only a matter of time before they introduced this.
they were tight lipped over their Mobile OS for years before they finally released it....itll be nice to have something besides Windows
This isn't going to be a competitor for Windows, really. It's going to be essentially a stripped down linux distro - yet another one.

I'm sure it'll be pretty good, but it won't be a Windows competitor.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hopefully better than Linux. Of all the crap windows gets I've been running XP since it came out on multiple computers and never had a problem. The linux build that came on my budget laptop became unstable and unbootable after 2 weeks using it to do little more than check email.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hopefully better than Linux. Of all the crap windows gets I've been running XP since it came out on multiple computers and never had a problem. The linux build that came on my budget laptop became unstable and unbootable after 2 weeks using it to do little more than check email.
which build?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
This isn't going to be a competitor for Windows, really. It's going to be essentially a stripped down linux distro - yet another one.

I'm sure it'll be pretty good, but it won't be a Windows competitor.
really? everything that ive seen says that it will try and compete with OSX and Windows.

For the high-volume Intel PC market, Chrome OS will have to take on Windows, but Chrome OS is very different than other Windows competitors such as the Mac OS, Ubuntu or the OS/2 of yore, in that Google does not seem focused on creating platform-exclusive applications.
Sure, Google can build something on top of Linux, lend it a halo and buy it some wings. But despite a fair amount of media attention, something that sounds conceptually very similar to Chrome OS has already been tried and has failed to catch on.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/08/switched-on-with-google-this-is-not-your-fathers-os-war/

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
really? everything that ive seen says that it will try and compete with OSX and Windows.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/08/switched-on-with-google-this-is-not-your-fathers-os-war/
Perhaps you should read the Google information instead of the (apparently) misinformed blogs?

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks
We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds. The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web.
All web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite web technologies.
Google Chrome OS is being created for people who spend most of their time on the web
It'll only "compete" with Windows on the level that some people don't need Windows, they just check email and browse the web.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In essence it sounds like its going to be a great solution for netbooks. I was thinking about getting a NB soon, but it looks like I'm gonna wait now.