Quantcast

google chrome

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
yeah i know its not dell's fault they make a crappy computer w/ crappy parts...
Bzzt. Sorry, that's incorrect, but we do have some lovely parting gifts for you...

Your company buys a computer. They either buy a computer with crappy parts, i.e. the uber-cheap models, or they buy a computer with decent parts, i.e. the more expensive models. There is no magical formula about Dell. You can buy crappy or great parts from NewEgg, too.

If you want to assign arbitrary blame, at least assign it to the purchasing agent who decided what the specs were on the machine :rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wow, Chrome kills my monitor's color profile. I always forget how bad the default color is for the monitor until it gets unloaded and everything turns green :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wow, Chrome kills my monitor's color profile. I always forget how bad the default color is for the monitor until it gets unloaded and everything turns green :D
I ran it under parallels and didn't think to look. Is Chrome color managed like Safari is? Far as I know this is a webkit feature.

Single most useful tool for me as a photographer who uses the tubes.

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Bzzt. Sorry, that's incorrect, but we do have some lovely parting gifts for you...

Your company buys a computer. They either buy a computer with crappy parts, i.e. the uber-cheap models, or they buy a computer with decent parts, i.e. the more expensive models. There is no magical formula about Dell. You can buy crappy or great parts from NewEgg, too.

If you want to assign arbitrary blame, at least assign it to the purchasing agent who decided what the specs were on the machine :rolleyes:
Me no like Dell, but u might be right about the low end Dell boxes we use at my job. It's fun replacing sys boards!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I ran it under parallels and didn't think to look. Is Chrome color managed like Safari is? Far as I know this is a webkit feature.

Single most useful tool for me as a photographer who uses the tubes.
It only killed it the first time I loaded. Now it works fine.

Doesn't appear to be color managed but holy cow is it fast. I despise the lack of a drop down history bar, though, it's how I access all of my common websites. Bookmarks are for interesting sites, drop-down history is for what I access regularly.

Oh well. It's f**king blazing fast. Sheesh.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I loaded it and then uninstalled it because I couldn;t get a home page. Or is that normal for Chrome.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You couldn't get a home page? You mean a default startup page? It's in the only settings screen that Chrome has. Go into the Options and select "open page at startup."

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I installed it on my computer at the office today. I'll test it out for a few weeks before I make the swap from FF3 at home. Initial thoughts: sort of like FF without all the awesome add-ins.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I despise the lack of a drop down history bar, though, it's how I access all of my common websites.
Don't like typing? :) I always start typing and then hit down (on FF), Chrome works the same. I'm not too keen on the colors though. I do dig the simplicity of the interface

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I navigate as much of the computer as I can with the keyboard.

It's a lot more of a pain to start typing a web address and arrow to it, then hit enter than it is to click twice, though.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

you honestly think Dells are decent computers?
obviously lower models come with crappy parts, but the only decent computers they make are the XPS 630's and up....and even their XPS customer service is just hilarious.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
you honestly think Dells are decent computers?
obviously lower models come with crappy parts, but the only decent computers they make are the XPS 630's and up....and even their XPS customer service is just hilarious.
I've dealt with more Dells in my life than most people deal with any type of of electronic device. The first office I worked at had roughly 3,500 machines of which I personally imaged about a third. The second office I worked at supported roughly 300 machines. My campus is exclusively Dell. My office has a dozen new machines, replacing a dozen old Dells.

Dell is no better or worse than any other big box manufacturer.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
which was my exact point from the beginning.
Oh.

Well considering that most big box manufacturers make perfectly good computers and only at the low end are "crappy machines with crappy parts" (which, incidentally, has nothing to do with the big box manufacturers, since the low end homebrews can be crappy as well), then I refer you back to jonKranked's post.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Installed.
Works.
XP Professional SP3
Dell Optiplex

Does not seem to be able to get to sites it hasn't indexed, such as our https://<whatever> intranet site.
I just got to ours. The downside seems to be you have to type http:// first or it won't work out. It also doesn't have the built in microsoft authentication that IE does, so I had to type my password for each intranet page that loaded.

I still like it though, it's way more stable and doesn't slow down the rest of my machine.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Oh.

Well considering that most big box manufacturers make perfectly good computers and only at the low end are "crappy machines with crappy parts" (which, incidentally, has nothing to do with the big box manufacturers, since the low end homebrews can be crappy as well), then I refer you back to jonKranked's post.
i dont know how it can be user error...even after changing the strings in about.config it still crashes every so often.

jon says that about everything any way..

and why the fck wont it work with my XP PRO damnt

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
CNN's reviewer is not impressed by it
CNN's user is a moron, due in large part to this quote:

When I told each browser to load eight pages, some of which were heavy with Flash and graphics, Firefox took 17 seconds and ended with a continuous CPU load of 50 percent. That means it took up half of my available processing power, even if I wasn't looking at any of the pages.

Chrome loaded them the fastest, at 12 seconds, and ended with a CPU load of about 40 percent.

Internet Explorer 8 took 13 seconds to load, but ended with no CPU load at all.
Sorry, but no matter how good the browser is, it is impossible to run at zero load on the CPU. IE is so embedded into the OS that it simply hides it's processes/loads elsewhere.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Same old story with the EULA. Google is modifying it. They used a boiler plate EULA as it is beta software.

Google's Rebecca Ward, Senior Product Counsel for Google Chrome, now tells Ars Technica that the company tries to reuse these licenses as much as possible, "in order to keep things simple for our users." Ward admits that sometimes "this means that the legal terms for a specific product may include terms that don't apply well to the use of that product" and says that Google is "working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome."

It's worth noting that the EULA is largely unenforceable because the source code of Chrome is distributed under an open license. Users could simply download the source code, compile it themselves, and use it without having to agree to Google's EULA. The terms of the BSD license under which the source code is distributed are highly permissive and impose virtually no conditions or requirements on end users.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The fact that you're meddling with .config files may illuminate some of the problems you're seeing.
i also later said i changed the settings back to default. i tried a "trick" from cnet.com, and it did work, but seemed to crash a lot.
even after changing back it still crashes every so often. thankfully they have the restore session button on restart...