Quantcast

Google fiber optics

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I don't know much about it but I just nominated my community to get it. Think of the pr0n!!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I don't know what you're going to be able to do with all that speed. I have 100 Mb connection and even with everything connected (TV streaming HD, both computers d/loading vids, kids DS/PSP on) it's still blazing fast. 1 Gb would be like having a 12" knob and wanting a 14" one.

ndirt

Chimp
Feb 28, 2010
ID
Google is trying to prove to other providers that super fast internet is affordable to deploy. They are pushing for it, and I suppose this is a way for them to push everyone forward. Which probably means they also have ideas for some sort of high bandwidth service or app (Chrome OS anyone?) that they would feel more comfortable launching if they had the back end to support it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I don't know what you're going to be able to do with all that speed. I have 100 Mb connection and even with everything connected (TV streaming HD, both computers d/loading vids, kids DS/PSP on) it's still blazing fast. 1 Gb would be like having a 12" knob and wanting a 14" one.
you are still in Asia i presume? American has some of the slowest internets for major industrialized countries. no one here has 100mb connections and even if we did, the connection would be no where near 100mb

Google is trying to prove to other providers that super fast internet is affordable to deploy. They are pushing for it, and I suppose this is a way for them to push everyone forward. Which probably means they also have ideas for some sort of high bandwidth service or app (Chrome OS anyone?) that they would feel more comfortable launching if they had the back end to support it.
plus itll be a open source network unlike Fios which isnt (if i recall correctly)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you are still in Asia i presume? American has some of the slowest internets for major industrialized countries. no one here has 100mb connections and even if we did, the connection would be no where near 100mb
I had a 100mbit connection when I was in college (on campus obv). OMG it ruled. We'd get 10mbps transfers on campus, streaming services loaded basically instantaneously. Being back on cable now BLOWS.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I had a 100mbit connection when I was in college (on campus obv). OMG it ruled. We'd get 10mbps transfers on campus, streaming services loaded basically instantaneously. Being back on cable now BLOWS.
yeah we had the same at our school too. downloading movies took no time at all and gaming was awesome with ZERO lag. unfortunately, T1 or T3 is stupid money for a normal consumer and still dont get to 100mb/s and obviously no where near 1gb/s like this google fiber optic line

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yeah we had the same at our school too. downloading movies took no time at all and gaming was awesome with ZERO lag. unfortunately, T1 or T3 is stupid money for a normal consumer and still dont get to 100mb/s and obviously no where near 1gb/s like this google fiber optic line
our campus was on dual OC3's. :drool:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A T1 line is only 1.54 Mbps anyway. Even a T3 is only, what, something like 50 Mbps.

Fiber is where it's at. The cable provider in the last city I worked at would pull a 20 Mbps symmetrical fiber connection to businesses for something like $1100/month. That was one fiber strand, and the pipe they pulled into the building had, I think, 7 or 8 strands in it.

That's a lot of money, of course, but it was the same price as a T1 which is 1/15th the speed.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
A T1 line is only 1.54 Mbps anyway. Even a T3 is only, what, something like 50 Mbps.

Fiber is where it's at. The cable provider in the last city I worked at would pull a 20 Mbps symmetrical fiber connection to businesses for something like $1100/month. That was one fiber strand, and the pipe they pulled into the building had, I think, 7 or 8 strands in it.

That's a lot of money, of course, but it was the same price as a T1 which is 1/15th the speed.
i wonder how fast Fios can boost their speeds to on their fiber optic lines.

i remember looking into prices for T1 or T3 at the retail store i managed and it was crazy. its good to see Google taking steps to test their system out by setting up the system for a few lucky towns. my hometown is trying to get in on it

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
This is with everything except the laptop turned off.

This is with everything else connected to the internet turned on

100mb connection has plenty of oomph, why 1Gb? I don't understand it. However I do hope you blokes get it as I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go here as most of the content I want to access is from the English speaking countries and, well, you've all still got little cocks.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
100mb connection has plenty of oomph, why 1Gb? I don't understand it. However I do hope you blokes get it as I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go here as most of the content I want to access is from the English speaking countries and, well, you've all still got little cocks.
You just need to get on the Internet2, its been around for a long time.

Right now you can do 10 Gbps and soon it will do 100 Gbps:

http://www.internet2.edu/network/

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
This is with everything except the laptop turned off.

This is with everything else connected to the internet turned on

im embarrassed to show what i get here with Comcast in PA, even with their "top package"...:(

Last edited:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Because (IMO) even though it is overkill now, it won't be in the not too distant futire. More info and content are going to be delivered via internet as time passes. My guess is that file sizes will increase too.

And anytime my pr0n is being deliverd to me faster I say :thumb:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Because (IMO) even though it is overkill now, it won't be in the not too distant futire. More info and content are going to be delivered via internet as time passes. My guess is that file sizes will increase too.

And anytime my pr0n is being deliverd to me faster I say :thumb:
Yeah I can understand their thinking in an "if it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing kind of way". 1Gb connections are available in Japan, although not where I am. As I understand the uptake is low as most people think it's overkill for the price. I'm still waiting for the content boom where I am, the infrastructure boom has come and gone.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Kansas City, KS has been chosen
EW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The year-long wait is over: Google announced Wednesday that it has chosen to deploy its ultra-fast broadband network in Kansas City, Kansas.

Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) will provide broadband Internet access to the city with speeds of about 1 gigabit per second. That's around 100 times faster than what most Americans have available to them today. Google said that the network's speed would be fast enough to download a high-definition, full-length feature film in less than five minutes.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/30/technology/google_kansas_city/index.htm?section=money_latest

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC

I wish I could pay for better upload speeds, but Road Runner has no option that's not an uber-expensive business plan.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
FiOS (its probably the slowest of the FiOS because if they asked if I wanted faster I would have said no).

Good enough for me. Never experienced a lag downloading. Sure it would be cool if pics and video uploaded faster but its not bad.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
comcast has two faster options, 50/10 & 105/10, and but i cant see spending 2-3x more money for it...though it would be nice.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
looks like others are stepping up for much cheaper:
You see, Sonic has always dabbled in the business of high-speed, low-price internet connectivity, and now it's going for the jugular with a new fiber-to-the-home service, which costs just $69.95 a month, reaches speeds up to 1Gbps, and bundles in two phone lines and unlimited long distance calling. Just for reference, Comcast's "Extreme" 105Mbps connection costs $105 a pop when taken as part of a bundle, whereas Sonic's budget menu option will net you a 100Mbps line for $39.95 (plus a phone line with unlimited calls)
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/13/sonic-net-starts-trial-of-1gbps-fiber-to-the-home-internet-in-ca/

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
But why would you ever need 1 Gbps to your house???
the question is, why would you not want it?? super fast internet service will be the nail in the coffin of cd's, dvd's and games...
their service is only a bit more then we are both paying for internet service but yet it's exponentially faster.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
sweet!!! I always knew that comcast was just screwing me. But why would you ever need 1 gbps to your house???
because (imo) even though it is overkill now, it won't be in the not too distant future. More info and content will be delivered via internet as time passes. My guess is that file sizes will increase too.

And anytime my pr0n is being deliverd to me faster i say :thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
the question is, why would you not want it?? super fast internet service will be the nail in the coffin of cd's, dvd's and games...
their service is only a bit more then we are both paying for internet service but yet it's exponentially faster.
Because ATT says competitors increase the costs for consumers, so you wouldn't want this new 1 Gbps provider. Thanks for looking out for us dumb consumers ATT, who would have thought monopolies are the best option:rofl:

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2011/06/att-wireless-less-competition-means-lower-prices.html

AT&T Wireless, which is attempting to buy T-Mobile, the smallest of the big four carriers that own national cellular networks, is advancing a novel new economic market theory: Less competition produces lower prices for consumers.

The Federal Communication Commission annually assesses the level of competition in the wireless industry, and last year’s report took 281 pages to analyze the myriad and complex forces at work. Nevertheless, among the FCC report’s key findings was this: “Competition has played…an essential role…leading to lower prices and higher quality for American consumers.”

The FCC noted that before T-Mobile launched its new pricing plans, Verizon Wireless and AT&T charged higher prices for its services than T-Mobile and Sprint, and “T-Mobile’s price changes appear to have prompted Verizon Wireless and AT&T to narrow the price premium on unlimited service offerings.”

That’s the kind of competition that AT&T apparently seeks to take away from consumers by buying up T-Mobile.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
The content providers need to remove their heads from their arses and get with the programme! When everybody has 25Mb/s upload speeds geo blocking will mean nothing. The stupid thing is I'm willing to, and do, pay but for the most part the content I'd like to have is either blocked or unavailable. In that case I have absolutely no ethical problem getting the content by any means necessary.

Boostoff

Chimp
Jun 4, 2011
Germany

f**king 55 euro. F Germany's costs, but the lag aint too bad even on something like xbox live to players in the states.

thats supposed to get me 14 D/L and 1.5 U/L.... Never seen it go above 10, ever.