Quantcast

~~~GOOOOOOD Monday Morning!!~~~

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
How is everybody today?

I had an awesome weekend!!
Saturday I helped my GF's sister move which sucked but it was a nice day.
Sunday I got up early and was at Mountain Creek by 9am. I took my MKIII for about 10 runs and had a blast all by myself. I rode till about 2pm when the pro race started. I'm trying to teach myself how to jump. Yeah I know it sounds basic but I'm trying to learn how to launch of table tops and what-not. My bike did really well and I got the section of bank turns down so well I was laping people on DH bikes. :) That made me feel good. I had to take it easy because I didn't want to break my bike but the MKIII did really well there which says a lot. I think I was the only person riding there with anything less than a dual crown fork and a coil over rear shock. :)

Now if I only had a few $k's to get a DH bike. :)

Yesterday with great just had a BBQ at our house with my GF's family and mowed the lawn.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
Yep Tuesday.

Did you get your MKiii "issues" all straightened out with at Mt. Creek?
No, I'm to shy. I didn't know who Todd was at the booth so I felt weird just walking up.
The "issue" isn't a huge deal as it's just the play in the rear bushing fit. Supposedly they're sending out new bushings.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
PS. The US Open rocked and it was great to see some of the pro's.
Also there must have been about 2billion f'ing inch worms that hatched and they were all over the F'ing place down there. It was f'ing gross picking them off your body.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
My weekend was awesome, Went out friday night with a bunch of freinds I havent seen forever and got back at 1am.

After taking about a 2 hr nap, i got back up and drove to NYC to get my new car a black jetta gli vr6 6sp :heart:...All was well til i got a $143 speeding ticket :(.

Spent the rest of my weekend in ohio (no riding) with my girl...

back to work and not that happy about it, but it is a 4 day week!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
manhattanprjkt83 said:
My weekend was awesome, Went out friday night with a bunch of freinds I havent seen forever and got back at 1am.

After taking about a 2 hr nap, i got back up and drove to NYC to get my new car a black jetta gli vr6 6sp :heart:...All was well til i got a $143 speeding ticket :(.

Spent the rest of my weekend in ohio (no riding) with my girl...

back to work and not that happy about it, but it is a 4 day week!
Pics of new car?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good f'ing Tuesday morning.

Had a great weekend, did the 24 hours of Burn outside Wilkesboro NC. Weather was perfect, trails were fantastic. I was pretty unprepared for the race and right off the bat felt like crap and made stupid stupid mistakes. Didn't eat enough and new it but didn't seem to want to do anything about it. Then in an attempt to catch up on food gave myself the worst damn case of hearburn I've ever had, it hurt to breath. After sleeping a bit I worked out the heartburn issues and pounded out some fun fast laps near the end. I didn't do nearly as well as I hoped but had a blast and recommend the race to anyone, super fun trails and really well ran.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I had a good w/e too!

riding & BBQ's :thumb:

yesterday I did a road ride........it was a good ride even thou I had 2 mechanicals - a flat and then with 3 miles left, I was just riding along & blew out 2 spokes on my rear wheel - it was so untrue that it locked up the tire.
I dont get why they went?? I was standing up riding up a totally smooth incline. I had to remove the brake pads & kick the crap out of the rim to make it rideable

and yesterday was also spent opening my pool !!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
G'morning all. I pretty much just chilled around the house all weekend, but got in 2 great days of riding. I crashed hard on Sunday. One section of trail comes out of a ravine and takes a hard left. My front tire washed out in the corner and I hit a tree hard. :dead: I finished the ride and went home for a liberal internal application of alcohol which helped. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
I had a good w/e too!

riding & BBQ's :thumb:

yesterday I did a road ride........it was a good ride even thou I had 2 mechanicals - a flat and then with 3 miles left, I was just riding along & blew out 2 spokes on my rear tire - tire became so untrue that it locked up the tire.
I dont get why they went?? I was standing up riding up a totally smooth incline. I had to remove the brake pads & kick the crap out of the rim to make it rideable

and yesterday was also spent opening my pool !!
Where did the spokes break? If the wheel is not tensioned properly everytime you pedal and the wheel rotates the spoke can completely lose tension. This shortens the fatigue life and the spoke head can actually move in the hub wearing it faster there.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Morning Stosh! Sounds like the Open rocked, sorry I missed it. :(

I did have a good weekend though! Went riding w/ Treesaw on Friday. Fun!

Saturday I took my daughter to the park for about 3 hours and then she had her first dance recital Sat. night. She did great! :dancing:

Sunday I mowed the lawn and putzed around the house.

Yesterday I did more yard work than I've ever done in my life!! Cut down a small tree (15') that was starting to take over a corner of my house. Ripped out a bunch of bushes, string trimmed, mulched, planted flowers... I'll try to get some before/after pics up tonight.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
manhattanprjkt83 said:
That is funny for the pic mongour I am, i didnt take any...I am going to take a bunch tonight...and will have them up tomorrow :drool: :drool: :drool:
Yeah, get some f'in pics up! Sucks aobut the speeding ticket.... :devil:

It was good seeing folks a the US Open. Damn, stosh, I thought you'd at least do ONE f'in trail with us after riding the gondola with SDH and I... :eviltongu

I had a f'in great (albeit, cut short) day of DH'ing. Didn't really watch the pros much as I wanted to get as many runs in before I had to leave for an f'in BBQ... :angry: Probably a good thing as I only took a couple of minor falls and thus managed not to hurt me or the bike and I felt pretty good for not having done DH runs since last July... :p

I'm still f'in sore... :nopity:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BikeGeek said:
G'morning all. I pretty much just chilled around the house all weekend, but got in 2 great days of riding. I crashed hard on Sunday. One section of trail comes out of a ravine and takes a hard left. My front tire washed out in the corner and I hit a tree hard. :dead: I finished the ride and went home for a liberal internal application of alcohol which helped. :D
Nice! Glad you're ok, I have bruises all over my legs from riding this weekend but no major crashes.
I did however purchase a set of shin and knee pads.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ian F said:
Yeah, get some f'in pics up! Sucks aobut the speeding ticket.... :devil:

It was good seeing folks a the US Open. Damn, stosh, I thought you'd at least do ONE f'in trail with us after riding the gondola with SDH and I... :eviltongu

I had a f'in great (albeit, cut short) day of DH'ing. Didn't really watch the pros much as I wanted to get as many runs in before I had to leave for an f'in BBQ... :angry: Probably a good thing as I only took a couple of minor falls and thus managed not to hurt me or the bike and I felt pretty good for not having done DH runs since last July... :p

I'm still f'in sore... :nopity:
Dude, some of the rock gardens there are useless on my bike. I totally had to get up and walk thru them. My bike just isn't built for it. The easy runs are hard enough for me there let alone trying to follow you guys!!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Hi there!!!

Weekend was OK. Bike is in the shop waiting on parts, so there was no riding for me and that makes me sad. Mower wouldn't start either. Spent the weekend working on it and still haven't gotten the problem nailed down. Had a buddy of mine who is getting married this weekend come down and hang out Friday night. We drug him out to all the bars and got him tanked........left my house keys in the DD's car, so I had to do the break-in......I knew Justine would never hear me knocking, so I hatched a plan to sneak in the back bedroom window. I got the screen removed, and jimmy'd the window open. I needed a bit of a boost to get up to the height of the window, so I piled up a few items laying around the immediate area, and climbed up. I was almost set when the pile collapses, and drops me in a heap on the ground below. With all parts still in operational order, I try it again----->mind you, this is with a serious buzz goin' on, so my motor skills and rational judgement have dropped down to rural North Carolina levels, here. On the 2nd attempt, I get my face into the window only to have the dog show up and assume that it is now playtime at 3:30 am. He brings me his squeaky moose and begins chomping on it, making it squeak reaaal loud right in my face as I'm trying to artfully dodger myself out of this precarious position. At this point, I feel like a helpless, upside-down turtle---halfway in and halfway out of the window, it's amazing how little coordination one has command of in this position. No Tom Cruise/Mission Impossible moves here, I'm basically just a land-flounder. I ended up getting a nice window-rasberry on my belly from trying to stop the squeaky moose assault and slither my way through the drunken, rectangular hell I've put myself into. Short story long, I made it through without waking up sweetie, and crashed out until about 11:00 the next morning.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mornin Stosh.

Had an OK weekend. Saturday I did a 27miler on the roadie, then proceded to feel like crap for the next 3 days - fever and stuff... blech.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
stosh said:
Dude, some of the rock gardens there are useless on my bike. I totally had to get up and walk thru them. My bike just isn't built for it. The easy runs are hard enough for me there let alone trying to follow you guys!!
Blah, blah, blah... :stosh:

you know, I've ridden almost all of those trails on my Chameleon before... :nope: Plus, I suppose I didn't mention that when you rode up with us it was my first run of the day, and we took it pretty easy. The trail off the back-side of the mtn isn't that bad. It was an old race-course from '99 back when they had a hardtail class - before "burly" hardtails were common and "hardtail class" generally meant you were riding an XC-based frame.

And my Yeti has about the same amount of rear travel as your IH. ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
Mornin Stosh.

Had an OK weekend. Saturday I did a 27miler on the roadie, then proceded to feel like crap for the next 3 days - fever and stuff... blech.
I was thinking next time you come down we could go to MTN Creek together. Your bike could take it and I think you would enjoy it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ian F said:
Blah, blah, blah... :stosh:

you know, I've ridden almost all of those trails on my Chameleon before... :nope: Plus, I suppose I didn't mention that when you rode up with us it was my first run of the day, and we took it pretty easy. The trail off the back-side of the mtn isn't that bad. It was an old race-course from '99 back when they had a hardtail class - before "burly" hardtails were common and "hardtail class" generally meant you were riding an XC-based frame.

And my Yeti has about the same amount of rear travel as your IH. ;)
I need someone to show me around there. I also need a set of 8" brakes, in fact I need a whole different bike. :) I could smell my pads burning by the time I got to the lift.

I did or I should say I tried to do a ride with you at Platty and you BURNED me big time.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
was nice to get some good weather for a change. didn't get out on the bike though. huh. was a productive weekend, though.

- picked up my sportworks T2 hitch rack
- ran some general errands
- went over to a neighbor's and hung out for evening
- had a cookout w/ my sister-in-law and wife's cousin
- installed my outdoor speakers

damn did it rain hard yesterday afternoon. the t-storms rolled in and it was an absolute downpour. driving in it seemed like driving through hail.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
I was thinking next time you come down we could go to MTN Creek together. Your bike could take it and I think you would enjoy it.
I've been thinking about checking out plattekill sometime...

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
Where did the spokes break? If the wheel is not tensioned properly everytime you pedal and the wheel rotates the spoke can completely lose tension. This shortens the fatigue life and the spoke head can actually move in the hub wearing it faster there.

the one was at the nipple, the other at the hub - oh, & they were 120 degrees apart from each other

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
stosh said:
I need someone to show me around there. I also need a set of 8" brakes, in fact I need a whole different bike. :) I could smell my pads burning by the time I got to the lift.

I did or I should say I tried to do a ride with you at Platty and you BURNED me big time.
Yeah, but I was on the M-1 then... That bike is gone... Bigger brakes would help - at least on the front... The Yeti only fits a 6" disc in the rear... granted, experience has taught me to brake less... so the only time I was really hard on the binders was slowing at the bottom from pinning it down the final slope. I'll also admit the 7" travel fork helps alot too. ;)

But still... :monkey:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
the one was at the nipple, the other at the hub - oh, & they were 120 degrees apart from each other
Replace the spokes and go over the whole wheel and makes sure everything is tensioned properly. A crappily tensioned wheel can still seem true until thing start to break. I like to use a tensiometer to check my spokes, you can get a way with plucking them and listening to the tone but I'm a geek and like tools.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
Replace the spokes and go over the whole wheel and makes sure everything is tensioned properly. A crappily tensioned wheel can still seem true until thing start to break. I like to use a tensiometer to check my spokes, you can get a way with plucking them and listening to the tone but I'm a geek and like tools.

I never can get a rim perfectly true, on my xc bikes with disc brakes - no biggie but on the roadie with rim brakes........I'm going to Lazy and have the bike shop do it

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Went to VA on the spur of the moment Saturday night. Spent all day at Old Dominion Speedway Sunday and got back to NC by 11pm that night.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
Good f'ing Tuesday morning.

Had a great weekend, did the 24 hours of Burn outside Wilkesboro NC. Weather was perfect, trails were fantastic. I was pretty unprepared for the race and right off the bat felt like crap and made stupid stupid mistakes. Didn't eat enough and new it but didn't seem to want to do anything about it. Then in an attempt to catch up on food gave myself the worst damn case of hearburn I've ever had, it hurt to breath. After sleeping a bit I worked out the heartburn issues and pounded out some fun fast laps near the end. I didn't do nearly as well as I hoped but had a blast and recommend the race to anyone, super fun trails and really well ran.

so are you going to share what place you got?

any idea how heather did?

you have any other 24's planned besides Dalton?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Hey all,

The wife and I had a great weekend camping, riding, hiking and playing with the dog. Trip report with pics to follow.

D.