Quantcast

~~~GOOOOOOD Monday Morning!!~~~

splat

Nam I am
Morning

Weekend was awesome:

friday Night dia Night ride with SloMoJo , and my F***ing nite rider failed halfway through

saturday , My wife and Daughter went down to Marthas Vineyard for 2 days with the girl scouts , so My son and I went up to a BBQ at my Brothers , and on the way back stopped and Met ArsBars at the Bike shop she works at , which is at the end of the minute man Bikeway , and my and My Son had fun rinding on the Bike way

Sunday Lead a Begginer/Kids ride , was a Great Time ( see Picture thread ) :thumb:

Monday , SloMoJo and I did the Backstone canal and West river ( see Picture thread ) had to rebuild my rear wheel on the trail.

and at 12:45 AM this morning I got a phone call the office had lost power ,so In I went , and I got all the machines back up by about 5AM went and played Hockey , then came back , so here I sit at my desk with about an 1 1/2 hours sleep.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Good morning. Had a nice long weekend with lots of riding. :thumb: Friday, went on 2 long XC rides (first at Spier Falls--lots of climbing and then at SMBA--lots of fun). Saturday rode stunts in my yard, mowed the lawn and did household chores. Sunday, rode some DH at West Mtn. (yes, it's still trying to kill me) and BBQ with my family. Monday, slept in a little then some XC at Spier...got out just before the downpour & hail storm. Caught up on laundry after that and relaxed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
so are you going to share what place you got?

any idea how heather did?

you have any other 24's planned besides Dalton?
Heather won, but the crowd was really rooting for the girl who came in 2nd.

I think I got 12 out of 32 solo men. I was really hoping to do better but I gave up on actually racing before midnight and decided to just ride and have fun, which I did. Being only my 2nd 24 solo I learned a lot and hope to not make the same mistakes again. First thing I need to do is get some support. I easily lose 5 minutes a lap trying to do everything myself.

After Dalton I think I am just planning on doing the Conyers Ga race. I'd like to do more but mortal men can only do a handful of those in a year without burning out.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Westy said:
Yupper...she won 1st out of 4 women and finished 7th overall (all solos...she thought there were about 40 solo men) I belive she won by 3 laps or something like that. :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
johnbryanpeters said:
Good morning.

Did a bunch of yard work Saturday.

Awesome ride on Snake mountain Sunday, broken arm and all.

Yard work and furniture moving Sunday.

To the bone doctor this afternoon.

J
Ouch, where did it break?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Mornin all. I had a great weekend. My brother and his family came up from Texas and we rented a cabin up in the mountains with another couple. There will be a seperate thread with pics soon...

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:

I think I got 12 out of 32 solo men. I was really hoping to do better but I gave up on actually racing before midnight and decided to just ride and have fun, which I did. Being only my 2nd 24 solo I learned a lot and hope to not make the same mistakes again. First thing I need to do is get some support. I easily lose 5 minutes a lap trying to do everything myself.

After Dalton I think I am just planning on doing the Conyers Ga race. I'd like to do more but mortal men can only do a handful of those in a year without burning out.

Damn, Heather is one fast Biotch ! :D

no doubt on the importance of support - If you decide to do another 24 up here(northeast), let me know and hopefully I could be your support crew!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
douglas said:
Damn, Heather is one fast Biotch ! :D

no doubt on the importance of support - If you decide to do another 24 up here(northeast), let me know and hopefully I could be your support crew! (If I wasn't racing at Dalton I would volunteer to help you)
Yeah! I am sure that my sisters (our team supporters) would be happy to help you out with food and that stuff too. :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
TreeSaw said:
Stosh - have you ridden Diablo before? I like the burms too :thumb: They have some REALLY fun runs. I can't wait to get back there this season...soon!
yeah I rode there before it was ever "Diablo" about 4yrs ago on a Trek 4500 with V-brakes. I had no idea what I was in for then. I never went back because I hadn't had a bike to handle it.

I've started breaking my GF in to the idea of me buying a DH bike, thing is she may be ok with it but I've got no $ for one.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
stosh said:
yeah I rode there before it was ever "Diablo" about 4yrs ago on a Trek 4500 with V-brakes. I had no idea what I was in for then. I never went back because I hadn't had a bike to handle it.

I've started breaking my GF in to the idea of me buying a DH bike, thing is she may be ok with it but I've got no $ for one.
Nice! I am too able to rationalize bike purchases ;) I have 2 on my list of wants and don't have the $ for them either. I have even convinced Sq-Earl (under the premise that I would be replacing 1-2 of my current rides).

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
stosh said:

If I lived as close as you did, justification would be a lot easier. But before the bike, ARMOR, ARMOR, ARMOR! Right now, I think my armor is worth more than my bike. It's certainly newer! LOL.

stosh said:

You could trade yur girl for a DH bike on Ebay!
Shoot, even that silly kid 2 weeks ago was trying to trade himself as slave labor for a year on trade for a bike.
A girl seems much more likely :p

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
TreeSaw said:
Nice! I am too able to rationalize bike purchases ;) I have 2 on my list of wants and don't have the $ for them either. I have even convinced Sq-Earl (under the premise that I would be replacing 1-2 of my current rides).
I would really like to have a DH bike but for the money I would really only be able to ride it on weekends and not all weekends. It's a lot of money to spend on something I'll only ride part time.

Right now combined we have 3 bikes, I'm looking to add an old Schwinn Stingray to my collection.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
stosh said:
I would really like to have a DH bike but for the money I would really only be able to ride it on weekends and not all weekends. It's a lot of money to spend on something I'll only ride part time.

Right now combined we have 3 bikes, I'm looking to add an old Schwinn Stingray to my collection.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I rode my DH bike a lot last summer so the purchase was relatively easy to rationalize. Look for something used. I have an Ironhorse....it was relatively inexpensive and has been a great bike!!!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
stosh said:

You hit the nail on the head stosh, i am only able to use a DH bike on the weekends (diablo/snowshoe)...I currently dont have one but would like to purchase on it is just the initial investment that is hard to swallow, when i could presumably ride most of those trails on my DOC hardtail. I sold my first dh bike when i went to college now that I am out, im debating the idea of getting a new one.

As for money i am in the same boat as well cant really afford it, but my credit card is interest free for 6 months, thinking about just taking the plunge...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ian F said:
If I lived as close as you did, justification would be a lot easier. But before the bike, ARMOR, ARMOR, ARMOR! Right now, I think my armor is worth more than my bike. It's certainly newer! LOL.
Bought some shin pads and knee pads this weekend.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
stosh said:

IMO, there are so many good "free-ride" bike out there right now, that a full-on, single-ring DH bike is only worth buying if you're racing. Any future "DH" frame I buy will be front-derailleur capable. Actually, the main reason I bought my Yeti back in '98 is it was one of the few 6" travel frames sold at that time that could run a front triple - which is how I've run it to this day.

Yes, the bike is heavy by XC standards. It weighs in at around 37 lbs with XC tires (2.3 Conti Vertical Pros), but longer travel bikes have incredible traction when climbing which often makes up for the weight. Even on the most climb-intensive rides at Thorpe, I rarely wanted for a lighter bike. Especially when the descents and rock-gardens are that much more fun! :evil:

If I get into good enough shape to start racing XC again I'll start looking for a short travel XC bike, but otherwise having a long travel (7" F, 6" R) XC bike covers the bases quite nicely for all-around social riding.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
manhattanprjkt83 said:
You hit the nail on the head stosh, i am only able to use a DH bike on the weekends (diablo/snowshoe)...I currently dont have one but would like to purchase on it is just the initial investment that is hard to swallow, when i could presumably ride most of those trails on my DOC hardtail. I sold my first dh bike when i went to college now that I am out, im debating the idea of getting a new one.

As for money i am in the same boat as well cant really afford it, but my credit card is interest free for 6 months, thinking about just taking the plunge...
Mtn Creek is 30min from my house and 5min from my office.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stosh said:
Mtn Creek is 30min from my house and 5min from my office.
Do you work in Warwick?

Isn't Mtn creek the same place that used to be "Action Park"? Used to go there all the time when I was a kid.

A few years ago I worked a project in the area, stayed at that hotel that used to have the Playboy club in it. My how times have changed.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ian F said:
IMO, there are so many good "free-ride" bike out there right now, that a full-on, single-ring DH bike is only worth buying if you're racing. Any future "DH" frame I buy will be front-derailleur capable. Actually, the main reason I bought my Yeti back in '98 is it was one of the few 6" travel frames sold at that time that could run a front triple - which is how I've run it to this day.

Yes, the bike is heavy by XC standards. It weighs in at around 37 lbs with XC tires (2.3 Conti Vertical Pros), but longer travel bikes have incredible traction when climbing which often makes up for the weight. Even on the most climb-intensive rides at Thorpe, I rarely wanted for a lighter bike. Especially when the descents and rock-gardens are that much more fun! :evil:

If I get into good enough shape to start racing XC again I'll start looking for a short travel XC bike, but otherwise having a long travel (7" F, 6" R) XC bike covers the bases quite nicely for all-around social riding.
Well I would agree with you however I would like to run something with all the tensioners and what-not that is more DH specific.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
Do you work in Warwick?

Isn't Mtn creek the same place that used to be "Action Park"? Used to go there all the time when I was a kid.

A few years ago I worked a project in the area, stayed at that hotel that used to have the Playboy club in it. My how times have changed.
Yeah I work in Warwick, how the heck did you know that?

Yeah the playboy club has some ski hills that Mtn Creek now uses. It's in between the North and South Mtn Creek Base lodge.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stosh said:
Yeah I work in Warwick, how the heck did you know that?

Yeah the playboy club has some ski hills that Mtn Creek now uses. It's in between the North and South Mtn Creek Base lodge.
A good friend of mine grew up in the 'Wick. I'd go slam beers with him at some Irish Pub when I was working in Franklin NJ.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
stosh said:
Well I would agree with you however I would like to run something with all the tensioners and what-not that is more DH specific.
Well, I forgot to mention one of the other big pluses of the Yeti: it uses an old Shimano XTR E-type derailleur - IMHO the best front derailleur ever made -Period. It is it's own built-in guide. Nearly impossible to drop a chain. At worst, the chain drops onto the granny ring. The E-plate prevents it from going down to the frame. The upside-down "J" movement of the cage keeps the chain on the big ring. This alone has been one of the main reasons I've hesitated in replacing the frame. I don't want to give up that derailleur. It works that well.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
A good friend of mine grew up in the 'Wick. I'd go slam beers with him at some Irish Pub when I was working in Franklin NJ.
Yesterdays?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stosh said:
Yesterdays?
Dunno, was too drunk, too long ago and I'm too stupid to remember.

Place had nice wood paneling and they always gave me free Murphey's glasses and beer logo t-shirts for reasons I again can not remember.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
Dunno, was too drunk, too long ago and I'm too stupid to remember.

Place had nice wood paneling and they always gave me free Murphey's glasses and beer logo t-shirts for reasons I again can not remember.
Ha, thats funny that you've been here.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
- picked up my sportworks T2 hitch rack
how do you like it? are you a fanboy like me now?

i had a great weekend, did the Ski To Sea (www.bellingham.com/skitosea). my decidedly recreational (and mixed) team came in 326 of 358, 32/40 in Mixed Recreational, and my mtn bike leg time was good for 199 of 358 or 12/40. i passed 15 riders on the 8ish mile course, but mainly that was because i started out so far back :D .

no pics from the weekend, it was my weekend off, too heh

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
how do you like it? are you a fanboy like me now?
haven't really even taken it out of the box. i need to get my hitch situation sorted.

my bro-in-law was over sunday though, and could hook me up. he's got a plasma cutter and welder, so i think we can get something working.