trailmike

Chimp
Feb 18, 2013
Downingtown, PA

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Just got a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition last night from my wife for my birthday. Stoked. Unfortunately the sales person sold her the wrong memory card. So we have to get a new one before I can update the firmware and use it. Pretty excited to try out the wifi app for it on my phone.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Just got a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition last night from my wife for my birthday. Stoked. Unfortunately the sales person sold her the wrong memory card. So we have to get a new one before I can update the firmware and use it. Pretty excited to try out the wifi app for it on my phone.
Please post an update once you get it dialed in.
I want to pick one of these up but there are some pretty awful reviews on Amazon and elsewhere.
Seems like people just aren't updating the firmware and are being bitches but would like to know how your experience goes.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah that's what I am getting from all of the negative reviews too. It seems like the firmware update is 100% needed. Kind of a bummer they put so many out with bad firmware. But it happens.

Definitely post up my experience once I get a memory card and get it dialed. Maybe a video too.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Some history. I had the original Contour, then the first GoPro HD, and recently got the Black edition. I updated the Firmware right out of the box as instructed by the big card contained within the box.

From there it has been pretty straight forward. My first and only on trail use was good, but it seemed to burn through the battery pretty quickly. I am not sure that was just a result of the first run on the battery or not. The video itself is amazing, I only tried the 1080 @ 60fps setting and it is considerably better than the older GoPro. The 720 setting @120 fps should be interesting.

The downside is the file size, since I have 0 skills at editing uploading the larger files is a bit of a pain. I have both the wireless remote and the GoPro app for the iphone. I was disappointed with the app, you can check and change settings really easily with the app vs going through the menu on the camera. You can even preview were the camera is looking, but you can't view videos, which I thought was a bummer.

Anyway here are some videos using the same chest mount (highly recommended for MTB) on the same trail uploaded to Youtube

Old
New

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
FWIW the quality on Vimeo is 100x better. Plus you get one HD upload a week with the free account.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Did a quick test with the camera shooting in 1440 mode yesterday. Brought the dogs on a quick errand. Our pitbull Charlotte is so stoked. Be sure to hit the HD button.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have the extreme. I just looked and I bought it in June last year. Supposedly has a lifetime warranty. I sent them and email and got a response saying someone will contact me in 24-48 hrs. Crappy thing is my buddy has the same card that I found out died the same way mine did.

Keep some spares. Just sayin'. No GoPro footage from Bootleg this weekend :(

Last edited: