Quantcast

GoPro HD

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I'm going to buy a GoPro HD hero camera. I will probably only use it chest mounted as I think that it give a much better video. You can get the 'Naked' camera for £30 cheaper then the Helmet one (neither come with the chest mount anyway so I will have to buy this separately), but is there anything in the helmet pack that I should have that makes it worth £30 extra?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Tom, I presume You did some research/comparison before You chose GoPro HD over Contour HD. Have You manage to find any "independent" footage from GoPro HD which would match the vids on GoPro web-site?
I've spent at least two hours looking for it with no success. I do like GoPro HD a little bit better than Contour HD, tough.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
This is Lee Lau's review who tested both cameras on bike, as well. You can find this review on several forums. Frankly speaking, I was a bit dissappointed by the quality of the image. Way from the GoPro's material. However, GoPro's guys may have supperior material editting skills...?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm going to buy a GoPro HD hero camera. I will probably only use it chest mounted as I think that it give a much better video. You can get the 'Naked' camera for £30 cheaper then the Helmet one (neither come with the chest mount anyway so I will have to buy this separately), but is there anything in the helmet pack that I should have that makes it worth £30 extra?
That's exactly what I did. So I don't really know what's in the helmet pack that I'm missing.

Here is some test footy: Be sure to click the HD button on the bottom right corner!

EDIT: Thanks to socket for learning me how to imbed the vid.

Here is the link:

Last edited:

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
I too have been looking at helmet cameras. Few questions, how large is the Go-pro? it seems a bit cumbersome. The Contour (is it what was called the Vholdr?) seems to have great video quailty, does the GoPro match or exceed this?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
SylentK, that looks really good. It's the best non-professional footage I've seen so far.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Has anybody used a leatt brace with the chest mount? Any compatibility issues?
I ride like that, it actually works very well because the chest strap for the Leatt sits just below the camera body itself (but over the chest plate for the GoPro), which seems to anchor it a little bit more firmly. No compatibility issues, in fact it's an improvement if anything.

SylentK: When you use the Youtube tags, you only have to put the part AFTER the "v=" in there, in your case, the kWemtGtpAnw. Same with Vimeo, you just use the number that identifies the video itself.

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Has anybody used a leatt brace with the chest mount? Any compatibility issues?
No problem. I have had my Go Pro HD for a couple of months. I have only used it on my MX bike. All of my footage has been with the chesty. It's so easy to use and get aimed correctly. Now I just need to upgrade my computer so that I can edit the 1080P.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
To answer a few questions in this thread:

You can find find users GP HD vids on vimeo if you type in Go Pro HD. Not as good as on the Go-Pro site, but no surprise there seeing as how many videos have to be streamed of vimeo at one time. quality improves if you download the clips.

Leatt brace compatiblity is no problem, if anything it helps anchor the chest mount in place and keep it from rattling around.

Santa brought me a Go Pro HD for Christmas, and after using the standard camera all last year I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Awesome! I just bought the Go Pro Helmet hero hd today as my Christmas present to myself!!! I didn't buy the chest mount yet, but I probably will in the future. I read a fair amount of reviews, and it looks like the hd is a total improvement over the regular hero and not just in terms of visual quality. Better sound, better battery life with the recharegble battery, etc.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Here's a real quick vid with the new GoPro HD

It was overcast and getting dark
I had resolution set at 960p instead of 1080
My editing program wouldn't accept GP's particular mpg4 format so I had to convert it w/ a free online program
blah blah blah . . . in other words it will look a lot better when captured/edited properly. Still much better than the standard GP

Page not found on Vimeo

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
BUhahahhaha, I've almost felt on the flor lauthing when I saw Your test, Lee :D
The ultimate test for wearable cameras :D

dwa

Chimp
Aug 19, 2009
Hi, I'll probably buy GoPro in week or two. I was puzzled After seeing reviews at feedthehabit. Reviewer claimed that video quality of Contour and GoPro is similar...videos tell something completely different. GoPro has much better resolution and Contour doesn't look like HD, lack of detail is horrifying (e.g. look at the trees).
Mic is also better in GoPro. Only field where Contour is winning is form factor - it just looks better.
If you want better results from those cameras you'll need to provide them enough light.
Here are some examples (there is more on vimeo :-) ):
TEST on Vimeo
motorcycle around north vancouver with GoPro HD on Vimeo
Regards

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Nice video Lee, could I just ask you if you think the naked camera with a chest mount would be ok or do I want to get the helmet hero pack?
I'd get the helmet hero pack for sure. Besides giving you way more options for mounting, it also comes with the 2 piece pivoting mount you need to really get the camera angled up enough so that it looks forward on dh bike.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I'd get the helmet hero pack for sure. Besides giving you way more options for mounting, it also comes with the 2 piece pivoting mount you need to really get the camera angled up enough so that it looks forward on dh bike.
Just run it upside down... sits closer to your body that way too.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Does the 2 piece pivoting mount turn the camera 90*? Would that work w/ a chesty mount?

The best way I've found for my chesty mount is to mount the camera upside down. Then I have to use software to rotate it. Kinda a PITA as iMovie doesn't have that kind of editing feature....AFAIK. Plus for some reason when I try to upload to Vimeo, it uploads upside down. Somehow Youtube got it right.

Anyone got a better way? Or better software? Right now I'm using Quicktime
Pro.

I've contacted GoPro about the firmware upgrade that will supposedly give you the option to record upside down or regular. They don't have a ETA, but tell you to subscribe to their email list. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Does the 2 piece pivoting mount turn the camera 90*? Would that work w/ a chesty mount?

The best way I've found for my chesty mount is to mount the camera upside down. Then I have to use software to rotate it. Kinda a PITA as iMovie doesn't have that kind of editing feature....AFAIK. Plus for some reason when I try to upload to Vimeo, it uploads upside down. Somehow Youtube got it right.

Pro.

I've contacted GoPro about the firmware upgrade that will supposedly give you the option to record upside down or regular. They don't have a ETA, but tell you to subscribe to their email list. :rolleyes:
how old is your GoPro? All the standard Hero-wide cameras could record upside down, and the HD can as well.

as for mounting, I prefer doing it this way. no need to flip and the view is a bit higher than the upside down method; less top tube more trail.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

Pro.

Windows Movie Maker lets you rotate it 180* but I don't know if it deals with HD footage well/at all. I take it you have a Mac? One of my housemates has Vegas 9.0 which seems to be the mutt's nuts but I don't know whether or not that works with Macs or what. I'm sure there's a version for Macs but might be harder to find than his not-entirely-legal copy.

how old is your GoPro? All the standard Hero-wide cameras could record upside down, and the HD can as well.

as for mounting, I prefer doing it this way. no need to flip and the view is a bit higher than the upside down method; less top tube more trail.
How tall are you? I quite liked the perspective I got from having mine upside down, though I'm 6'2" so if you're a bit shorter it may sit lower for you by comparison. Does your HD have the inverted recording function right now? Cos last I heard it's only via firmware update that isn't available yet?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Windows Movie Maker lets you rotate it 180* but I don't know if it deals with HD footage well/at all. I take it you have a Mac? One of my housemates has Vegas 9.0 which seems to be the mutt's nuts but I don't know whether or not that works with Macs or what. I'm sure there's a version for Macs but might be harder to find than his not-entirely-legal copy.

How tall are you? I quite liked the perspective I got from having mine upside down, though I'm 6'2" so if you're a bit shorter it may sit lower for you by comparison. Does your HD have the inverted recording function right now? Cos last I heard it's only via firmware update that isn't available yet?
Yes, my HD does have the option of recording in standard and upside-down. But I just got it, so maybe it's more up to date than the first ones that were released?

And you're correct, Movie Maker doesn't work with the HD. And neither does Correl, which I had been using to edit HD movies shot on standard HD cameras. From what I hear Sony Vegas 9 is the way to go. it automatically converts the h.264 into more standard mpeg4, as do Final Cut and iMovie I believe.

Last edited:

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
Joined the GoPro HD club at xmas courtesy my awesome family. So impressed with the quality. Only issue so far is getting the right angles for different mounts. I like your mount config. General Lee also props on your vids. Anyone got any ideas/experience with mounting booms to helmets??? Pictures appreciated too.

Heres the first use of it: http://www.vimeo.com/8399692 Unfortunately the view is looking down to much but General Lee's mount will fix that! Can't wait to get some quality DH footage.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

It's new as of a week before xmas. That sucks. When you scroll thru the menu, the option for which way it will record does not show up. I should just return it and get one w/ that option ;)

Yeah, that looks like the best way to hook it up! Now how do I get ahold of just that mount? :rant: