Quantcast

GoPro Hero goes 3-D

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Bikerumor got the news about GoPro's exciting new product,after the awesome Hero HD they are stepping up the game big to 3-D.

The now ubiquitous, classic GoPro Helmet HERO was great in its original incarnation. Then it went HD, and that was even better. And now the Helmet HERO is jamming another trick up its waterproof to 180′ casing — it’s going 3-D. OK, that’s not accurate, nothing is getting literally jammed up the waterproof casing. The camera itself will remain unchanged. To shoot 3-D video all you’re going to need is an additional GoPro Helmet Hero wearable camera, some software, and an “Expansion Kit,” which will be available next month. We assume the “Expansion Kit” will include the software (it better for $90) and some way of attaching the two cameras together. It’s hard to tell from the above photo how, exactly, the joining of the cameras is accomplished.

Apparently this development is so exciting, it is Fox News worthy. I am completely apolitical, I will not make any jokes about this, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t make jokes about it in the comments section. Or not. You can also take it very, very seriously…like I may or may not have.

The two cameras will run you about $360, which is significantly less than the cost of one name-brand 3-D camera, and you have the added bonus of being able to break the two cameras apart like a Voltron toy, to use them independently, if you’re feeling crazy. So all you’ll need is the two cameras, the expansion kit, maybe the software, and something to watch it on…

Fox News did a news report incl vid
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/12/13/new-d-camera-shoots-action-avatar-style/

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Peoria/Kansas City/Bozeman
call me a hater but 3D is a joke and has no place in mtn biking or any other aspect that a Go Pro is typically used for. that said the simple fact that they are able to make a 3D HD camera that wont break your bank account is pretty cool.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Yawn. . . I have a hard time getting excited about 3D, it's 15 minutes of fame is in the single digits (with the exception of 3D IMAX which can be pretty flipping sick). When they figure out a way to make helmet/chest cam footage show how steep a tail is rather than making it all look flat then I'll be impressed.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
and some way of attaching the two cameras together
maybe in that case that you show in the article?

this has been a "month out" for several months now...just like their firmware update that took almost a year

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think he might have been talking about how to join the two cameras' output together so they create the 3D image. Seems like a cool thing to try out if you and a friend both have cameras
that comment was actually towards bicyclerumor. when i think of "attach" i dont think of "syncing"
GoPro has also said the syncing would have to take place via the expansion port on the back

Last edited:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
While we are on the topic of Go Pros, anybody thought about finding a way to hook a GoPro into an iPhone or Droid etc via the output port to view the image when setting up the camera or reviewing a file after a run? Surely someone has tried this...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
While we are on the topic of Go Pros, anybody thought about finding a way to hook a GoPro into an iPhone or Droid etc via the output port to view the image when setting up the camera or reviewing a file after a run? Surely someone has tried this...
the video output port or the "expansion port"

youd have to go through a computer since there isnt anything that will allow a video input on a iphone/ipod...and that would defeat the purpose obviously.

edit: GoPro has promised a screen for the expansion port in the near future

double edit: you wouldnt also be able to hook up the output wires in the normal cases. youd need their skeleton case which isnt waterproof.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
This will probably have to be red/blue glasses 3d which sucks, the real 3d like imax is not easy to do with home equipment (or so im told)

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
ok this might be dumb, I dont follow this 3D stuff, but dont you need a special TV or screen to see 3D? or do you just need glasses?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
ok this might be dumb, I dont follow this 3D stuff, but dont you need a special TV or screen to see 3D? or do you just need glasses?
You need a 3dtv, glasses, and a "3d kit" which basically transmits a rf signal to the glases.. basically it ain't cheap right now..

watching hd in 3d looks pretty sweet, way better than the stuff in theaters.. now they just gotta figure out how to get rid of the glasses.

Last edited:

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
Yawn. . . I have a hard time getting excited about 3D, it's 15 minutes of fame is in the single digits (with the exception of 3D IMAX which can be pretty flipping sick). When they figure out a way to make helmet/chest cam footage show how steep a tail is rather than making it all look flat then I'll be impressed.
That's easy, just send a few sport riders down first.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
You need a 3dtv, glasses, and a "3d kit" which basically transmits a rf signal to the glases.. basically it ain't cheap right now..

watching hd in 3d looks pretty sweet, way better than the stuff in theaters.. now they just gotta figure out how to get rid of the glasses.
ok so theres only a slim amount of people(customers) with this set up in their house... im guessing this 3D GoPro is more towards film makers and not so much weekend warriors.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
When they figure out a way to make helmet/chest cam footage show how steep a tail is rather than making it all look flat then I'll be impressed.
Will come with a tube attached to your computer.

Fvcks with the fluid in your ears to make you think you're looking down like when you shot it. Gonna be sick.

Even the fantasy of that is more legit than pursuing the 3D fad that already had its heyday in the 80s.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What i have noticed about alot of 3d movies as of late....... It is more about teh depth of the picture than it is the actual 3d effect.

Seeing hwo this is setup, without an actual 3dtv, your going to need toe wonderfull red and blue glass's......... Blah Blah... all been said

Bottom line, its kind of cool to see this available to the public, but a waste non the less.

Innovation is a great thing, I hope all companies go after ideas like just simply for a proof of concept. Keep it up, I like the idea

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Alls I know is that if I were getting a 3D helmet cam I'm want something more in the contour style. The normal go-pro is already ridiculously bulky. I can't imgaine how often that thing would get clipped by trees and such, especially on someone tall.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Alls I know is that if I were getting a 3D helmet cam I'm want something more in the contour style. The normal go-pro is already ridiculously bulky. I can't imgaine how often that thing would get clipped by trees and such, especially on someone tall.
If your GoPro is mounted on your head instead of your chest... you're doing it wrong.