Quantcast

Gore cables

nohbody

Chimp
Mar 5, 2005
Seattle
I know I posted this in the mechanics section, but I usually see more people viewing here. After about an 8 year hiatus, i'm getting back into mountain biking. My last bike (Univega 808), I had gore sealed cables installed (with the little yellow jacket). I would love to get them again for my new bike, but a quick search of a couple online vendors and i can't find them. I haven't checked with local shops yet, but does anyone know if these things even exist anymore?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
They stopped making gore cables several years ago. This came as a shock to me too. I have several sets stashed away. The closest thing you can buy now is nokon or avid flak jackets. I'm running the nokon right now. It's not completely sealed (ala gore) but it isn't totally ruined if contaminated (ala gore)

Good luck and welcome back

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
i bought a set of gore ride on's a few months ago at the lbs.. they are definitely still made, because the shop has only been open for about a year, so all his inventory is new.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Handlebarsfsr said:
i bought a set of gore ride on's a few months ago at the lbs.. they are definitely still made, because the shop has only been open for about a year, so all his inventory is new.

Really? When I inquired about them to a local shop, they said they weren't.
Maybe I need to keep looking.

And FYI, if your trying to save money, only use them on the back. It doesn't make much difference on the front and the cable is the same length. You can do 2 bikes for $50 instead of just 1

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
buildyourown said:
And FYI, if your trying to save money, only use them on the back. It doesn't make much difference on the front and the cable is the same length. You can do 2 bikes for $50 instead of just 1
This is good advice. I did the same thing.

GlennG

Chimp
Mar 23, 2005
Forks, WA
I haven't seen the Gore cables in years. I use the Avid Flak Jackets. They hold up pretty good to most conditions. The only time I have problems is in Winter riding on Capitol Forest. The mud can truly be exceptional during a long rainy period and I don't think anything would hold out the mud then.

nohbody

Chimp
Mar 5, 2005
Seattle
I wanted to get a set for for two bikes rear deraillures :rolleyes:

i bought a set of gore ride on's a few months ago at the lbs..
where is this? I heard they were not in production anymore, too.

GlennG

Chimp
Mar 23, 2005
Forks, WA
The Flak Jackets run around $25.00 Bucks. I can outfit the bike and if a problem with the shifting develops, it is usually isolated to the housing right above the rear derailleur. I just replace that short section and install a new cable and all is well. I have ran the same jackets for a year of steady riding but I have switched cables several times. I have replaced the lower jacket only a couple times after really muddy rides. :)

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
My setup for cheap and easy butter shifting in the northwest. I ride all winter and have great shifting.

1. Buy 5mm cable housing, never the smaller 3.5 or 4mm stuff
2. Run full length housing all the way from your shifter down to your derailleur
3. Put the teflon coated stainless cables in there
4. Never use lube on your cables

Works like a charm!