Quantcast

Gore loves him some electricity or do as I say not as I do.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Maybe he could sell that environment hating heap he lives in now and buy something like this

The 4,000-square-foot house is a model of environmental rectitude.
Geothermal heat pumps located in a central closet circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground where the temperature is a constant 67 degrees; the water heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. Systems such as the one in this "eco-friendly" dwelling use about 25% of the electricity that traditional heating and cooling systems utilize.

A 25,000-gallon underground cistern collects rainwater gathered from roof runs; wastewater from sinks, toilets and showers goes into underground purifying tanks and is also funneled into the cistern. The water from the cistern is used to irrigate the landscaping surrounding the four-bedroom home. Plants and flowers native to the high prairie area blend the structure into the surrounding ecosystem.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
bring it over to cheney's mansion...$186,000 spent on electricity in 2001? holy christ...
avg elec bill for just about anyone in the people's republik of DC

aside from that... who was it that lived there for the previos 8 years prior to Cheney again..???

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
he blew all his spelling bee money on golf lessons.

edit: ** damn you, ope!! **

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Well given that making your house energy efficient is expensive in the beginning it seems that the rich should be taking the lead here simply because they can. How about a law where any house over a certain size must use energy effecient and/or environmentally sustainable practices? I have a lot energy saving devices in my house, brought the cost up but the other end is that my electricity bill is three quarters what it was in my old apartment despite the house being twice the size.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The fact that n8 is more than likely building houses that are more energy efficient than the ones most of the posters in this thread are currently living in is kind of amusing.

Carry on prancing about telling everyone how much you care about the enviorment.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
The fact that n8 is more than likely building houses that are more energy efficient than the ones most of the posters in this thread are currently living in is kind of amusing.

Carry on prancing about telling everyone how much you care about the enviorment.
Speak for yourself......bugger me every bastard seems to be on the rag around here. What's wrong?:plthumbsdown:

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I would love to build myself a new home, using sustainable materials, renewable energy sources etc, but the cost is astronomical in the UK. It remains a goal, but for most people it is utterly unachievable.

I have stopped printing every thread here though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

probably true, but then again i'm guessing that most people don't like in a new house.

it's kinda like the difference between driving a 20 y/o car and a new one. unfortunately, it's harder to swap houses than cars.

that said, we replaced our windows and our boiler in the last few years, and use radiant heat for the newer addition.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
probably true, but then again i'm guessing that most people don't like in a new house.

it's kinda like the difference between driving a 20 y/o car and a new one. unfortunately, it's harder to swap houses than cars.

that said, we replaced our windows and our boiler in the last few years, and use radiant heat for the newer addition.
Of course you have to factor in the pollution caused by manufacture. Most cars pollute less in use than in manufacture.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Of course you have to factor in the pollution caused by manufacture. Most cars pollute less in use than in manufacture.
???
a car is rather passive before it's pushed off the assembly line, no?
perhaps you meant the process of manufacturing, which if even, would be distributed across all vehicles for the lifetime of the machinery.

** edit to add **
would this not be more egregious for mass transit vehicles?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
???
perhaps you meant the process of manufacturing, which if even, would be distributed across all vehicles for the lifetime of the machinery.
Perhaps he meant producing of all the metal etc that makes up cars. After all rubber doesn't grow on trees you know.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i think he's talking about mining the metal to make both the parts and the robotics, making the electricity to power the factory, energy used in the distribution, etc.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
???

** edit to add **
would this not be more egregious for mass transit vehicles?
Apparently it creates more pollution to manufacture a car than most cars generate in the lifetime of use. Ergo upgrading your car every few years is more polluting than using a 20 year old model.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
look, i yield to noone when it comes to disdain for our overindulgent lifestyles, but i don't think it's wise to suppress technological gains all in the name of so-called conservation. if we are to upgrade technology for the benefit of more greeny efficiency, it should then follow we upgrade our cars, windows in our houses, appliances, and of course bikes (if any of you weanies actually ride).

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
How about a law where any house over a certain size must use energy effecient and/or environmentally sustainable practices?
Carrot and stick, not shackles, my friend. We've taken baby steps in the form of subsidizing greener methods, materials, and technologies to reduce the cost difference. Benefits both the rich and the poor, as well as helping manufacturers of greener products ramp up production numbers and R&D to reduce costs.

Next step would be to tax certain materials/methods (e.g. electric heaters, high flow showerheads/toilets, hardwoods, etc.) and higher utility bills. Think of a gas guzzler tax on houses. People would flip their ****, and you'd have to probably grandfather most houses in (or help pay for major upgrades) but it's not that a tough calculation to figure out how much to tax and which techs to subsidize.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
from this site:
I have no problem with "think-tanks" scrutinizing Al Gore, but (a) for The Tennessee Center for Policy Research to call itself an independent and nonpartisan organization is laughable and (b) if they want to maintain that facade, try getting the full story at least.
emph mine.

the tennessean
Gore purchased 108 blocks of "green power" for each of the past three months, according to a summary of the bills.

"They, of course, also do the carbon emissions offset," [Kalee Krider, a spokeswoman for Gore] said.

That means figuring out how much carbon is emitted from home power use, and vehicle and plane travel, then paying for projects that will offset that with use of renewable energy, such as solar power.

Gore helped found Generation Investment Management, through which he and others pay for offsets. The firm invests the money in solar, wind and other projects that reduce energy consumption around the globe, she said.
to be sure, his hands are clean, if only because they wash each other.

he is indeed a profit of doom

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Gore is profiting off of a business he owns through which he buys clean power?

Let's contrast that with Bush friends profiting off of the blood of soldiers.

I'm so glad this Gore-issue has been brought to the foreground of news coverage.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I would love to build myself a new home, using sustainable materials, renewable energy sources etc, but the cost is astronomical in the UK. It remains a goal, but for most people it is utterly unachievable.

I have stopped printing every thread here though.
reason #487,453,987,999 why America kicks ASS!