Quantcast

Got a few more pics of New Zealand up...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Mostly hiking and sea kayaking...here's the album link. The helibike was pretty lame, by the way, but I do have a few better shots I've yet to post.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
HippieKai said:
it looks a lot like the PNW in the summer

great pics!
You'd be amazed how much the rainforest sections look and feel like the PNW in the winter, too... Actually, this trip has made me realize what amazing riding we DO have in America. Not that NZ isn't totally goddamned awesome, especially because there's amazing land access and tons of diversity in a place smaller than some individual states, but it's just that it's not so amazing in terms of magnitude that it leaves the US behind. Now I know Utah, the PNW, parts of Cali, North Carolina, WV, etc, all have riding as good as that in this most exotic of locales. NZ has it all in terms of land access usage and attitudes, though (although it seems to be changing as things get more crowded, according to some NZ'ers.)

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Skookum said:
YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist.....
Heh, ate dinner next to this chick (well, vaguely girl-ish person, anyhow) in a hostel, asked her what she was doing in NZ, and she answered me in very dead-serious, "how could you possibly be asking me that" sorts of tones, with even a little roll of the eyes, "Lord of the Rings tours of course..." Strange that she was walking around without her dungeon master's guide, though.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Where in NZ? Don't miss riding in Wellington in the north and riding in Wanaka and some of Queenstown in the south...although I've yet to hit Canterbury/c-church or Nelson yet, either. Definitely take a trip to the fiordlands for a few days off the bike. Kayak, or at least take a boat cruise, and walk the Kepler Track (easyish 3-day hike, doesn't require too much elaborate planning).

MD

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Oh man, that makes me want to go back. I spent two weeks backpacking out of Nelson(Nelson Lakes and Abel Tasman) during December. Best pictures ever, nicest people, and absolutely beautiful country! I could go on all night, but I think I'll look at your photos some more.

The Ito

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i want to move to new zealand. i am serious.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Toshi said:
i want to move to new zealand. i am serious.
Come and visit before you move. Good advice that was given to me by a kiwi. It's an awesome place, but you may not outrun some of the things you think you're outrunning. Place is growing fast, fueled by many of us who want to move here. Crowding, traffic, etc. is getting worse in some places as the fairly undeveloped infrastructure is overloaded in places, and the 'clean and green' image I find to be partially just an image. Car emissions are bad, no vapor control at gas stations, not all that much recycling...some bigger issues, and land conservation especially, are being done right, though. Just hate to see the place turn into a mini-America, and according to some Kiwis, it's happening as we speak...can't really say myself.

Wellington would be the place to move, though. Cool, small, friendly yet cosmopolitan and international city with astounding biking right in the city (DH and XC both) and easy access to the ferry for forays into the south island. If you have the skills that are in demand (like being a builder or electrician), south island would be cool, too, for sure...and I've yet to visit Christchurch, which is probably an awesome city too.

MD

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MikeD said:
Heh, ate dinner next to this chick (well, vaguely girl-ish person, anyhow) in a hostel, asked her what she was doing in NZ, and she answered me in very dead-serious, "how could you possibly be asking me that" sorts of tones, with even a little roll of the eyes, "Lord of the Rings tours of course..." Strange that she was walking around without her dungeon master's guide, though.

MD
Aha did she have hair on top of her feet?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
MikeD said:
Come and visit before you move. Good advice that was given to me by a kiwi. It's an awesome place, but you may not outrun some of the things you think you're outrunning. Place is growing fast, fueled by many of us who want to move here. Crowding, traffic, etc. is getting worse in some places as the fairly undeveloped infrastructure is overloaded in places, and the 'clean and green' image I find to be partially just an image. Car emissions are bad, no vapor control at gas stations, not all that much recycling...some bigger issues, and land conservation especially, are being done right, though. Just hate to see the place turn into a mini-America, and according to some Kiwis, it's happening as we speak...can't really say myself.

Wellington would be the place to move, though. Cool, small, friendly yet cosmopolitan and international city with astounding biking right in the city (DH and XC both) and easy access to the ferry for forays into the south island. If you have the skills that are in demand (like being a builder or electrician), south island would be cool, too, for sure...and I've yet to visit Christchurch, which is probably an awesome city too.

MD

Christchurch is amazing. Some of the best bars in the world and the bar tenders are proud of the fact that they pour a great pint. The riding is easy access and right out of the city(think 15+ trails all within a 30 minute shuttle). If you plan on going, talk to the vorb forum guys. I went on there, posted and ten minutes later had a place to stay for two weeks and an offer to borrow some touring kayaks. I ended up meeting up with one of the guys, he showed my around ChCh and made his house open to me. Amazing people, very proud of their country.

The Ito