Quantcast

got a kick out of this - fox disclaimer

"Use of FOX forks with any tire larger than 26 inches, such as a 650b tire, will subject the FOX fork to loads and forces it has not been designed or certified to meet. FOX 32, 36, and 40 suspension forks are not recommended or approved by FOX Factory, Inc. for use with tires larger than 26 inches, either as original equipment or aftermarket."

Absolutely silly. Why, no one ever files idiotic law suits in these parts!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Hah thats funny. Do you think they posted that to serve notice? Most of that legalize is already in the warranty.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I would bet that they are seeing a large number of warranty claims with the wrong size tire and they are trying to head it off at the pass.

Yeah, the legal wording is all in the warranty, but nobody reads that and you only really realize it until it is too late.

We're all talking about it and now the word is spreading.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I'm sure it has nothing to do with a certain someone milling the crowns to fit big wheels :pirate2:

Just don't run anything over a 559x1.9" tire now since it will be bigger than 26"

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Anyone remember the Redbull Roadrage. There were a couple of 32's running 650 wheels. Im thinking this might be a result of that. At least thats the first thing that comes to my mind

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Anyone remember the Redbull Roadrage. There were a couple of 32's running 650 wheels. Im thinking this might be a result of that. At least thats the first thing that comes to my mind
First thing that comes to my mind is that BCD has modded a 40 and at least one 36 to fit 29er wheels. Surprised he hasn't gotten a series of cease and desist PM's etc. :busted:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Dude, that 25 millimeters of difference. In case you didn't know, that's one inch of diameter, in case you plan on rolling your 26 x 1 1/2 tires.

That does seem really weird. I wonder if what really happened is someone ran the bigger wheel and flipped over when the tire got caught on the fork bridge.

I was gonna say BCD too, but I remember a few years ago Lenz Sport was at Keystone with a eccentric front hub which allowed you to run a 29er wheel in a 36 without modding. So my guess is something between those two sparked something. I doubt Alex is going to sue Fox for the mods he has done to their forks

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Sounds logical that they don't recommend running a wheel that wouldn't fit. Duh.

Fox does however make an oem only 29" fork but they have a exclusive deal with specialized. Impossible for anybody else to get.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Saw Alex this morning. He was laughing about it when he told me. He found it to be more funny than insulting. I don't think he really cares. He knows what he's doing, and if something were to happen, he wouldn't blame anyone but himself, and maybe me for making fun of him.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Also; after two world cup races on it, it seems that it's not going to fail. It's also been used for a few more random races, and no sign of failure. Now everyone, send us your forks!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
He knows what he's doing, and if something were to happen, he wouldn't blame anyone but himself, and maybe me for making fun of him.
I am pretty sure Fox knew what they were doing when they designed the arch the way it is. It's that way for a reason, chopping out a large section is probably not a great idea.

As you say however, Alex probably wouldn't blame anyone but himself were it to fail and explode, slamming his face into the earth.

Someone sounds bitter.

Please explain to me why i'd be bitter about someone butchering a perfectly good fork that they own?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
doing this HAS to be done by someone who knows
how. w/o reducing the travel @ full bottom you will
OTB, duuuu. i know how to reduce the 36 for forks.
40 you just run what ever travel you want and slide
in crown to clear your tire.

with that out of the way,........

if the arch broke it would just
become an inverted noodle fork.
no death involved. but fox needs
to cover there arss form dumb people,
understandable.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
transcend, i don't consider bcd milling out a fork "butchering" i think of it as revolutionary. how was mountain biking started? from what i here people started riding road bikes off road. i bet there was people then saying, psh what a waste of a good road bike. yet look at our sport now, and the amount of technology we use. if bcd's creations become more popular you never know what can happen in the next few years.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
If there is a remote chance that a fork will fail with the mods, I'll pay you to do one for pinkshirtphotos. Pick tires up. Whatever, you name the price. :D
i have had a fork fail on me, it was a quick release and it wasnt pretty. i would be willing to take the risk of riding one of the forks

Mebbe, but I doubt it.

In order to get weight down, design margin today tends to get reduced to the absolute minimum necessary so as to minimize weight while keeping the assembly sufficiently strong. I have a hard time believing that Fox left enough meat in the arch to justify removing that much material.

You can ride something like that just like you can ride standing up in the back of a pickup truck, hein?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I modded my frame. I made a good design IMO better. If I could mod my fork, rear shock, brakes or whatever to make it work better then I would. I like my sh!t to perform the best it possibly can. I don't settle for it works. I'm pretty handy, its fun, and I'm worth it. So I may have added some additional risk to myself according to some dilbert in legal..

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Truth be said, I dont think it will be much longer before fox makes a 6 plus in travel 29 fork anyways, I would guess they will make one in a 40 first, seeing how 29er's are getting popular fast. I will not be suprized to see someone running the new niner out at southridge this year, nor will I be suprised to see them when we go to mammoth either.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
once i get a my fox fork modded into a 29er fork, i will ride it like it should be ridden. if it broke i would fix it with some carbon fibre support.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Truth be said, I dont think it will be much longer before fox makes a 6 plus in travel 29 fork anyways, I would guess they will make one in a 40 first, seeing how 29er's are getting popular fast. I will not be suprized to see someone running the new niner out at southridge this year, nor will I be suprised to see them when we go to mammoth either.
I don't know about that. Look how long it took them to come out with an XC 29er fork. Someone will beat them to it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah I am not a fan of 29ers myself, but people like them, and the industry follows what consumers want. Maybe its just my area, but we are seeing alot mre of them latley, even had to update our truing stand.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
thanks bv, thinking about ordering a fox 36 talas r, but looking for the axle to crown height. im going to order a haro mary ss, in that dope carolina blue colour.... then throw the fork on it oh boy cant wait. i like how the fork has adjustable travel, great for riding here on the east coast. i just dont want to rake out the front of the bike any more then i have to