Quantcast

Got a question on innertube sizing

madfatter

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
I was just patching my rear tube (agian) and realized that it read 'specialized thin 1.5/2.2 on the side. I ride a 2.3 tire, should I be using a different tube? I think I have the same tube in the front, but my rear has been having problems. I ride a hardtail Chamelion. I enjoy the big front on my 5" fork, but the rear has been flattening out. Any suggestions, and are those the size reccommendations written on the innertube? It just surprises me because that's the way I got the tube, installed with that 2.3 tire from the LBS. PS i'm 5'10 180lbs

elisdad

Chimp
Aug 28, 2006
Illinois
I'm running 2.2's in the back and use a tube that labelled 2.1-2.5. I've been lucky to not get a flat in the rear for a LONG time. I also use regular tubes and stay away from superlight or thin tubes.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I wouldn't worry about the "1.5-2.2" part, I'd worry about the "thin" part. If you're getting constant flats, try a heavier duty tube. Having a tube that is spec'd on the small side isn't a problem (as long as it's close). Having a tube that's too big can be.

What tires/PSI are you running? What do you weigh?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
On my "other" hardtail, I have been running Specialized 1.2-2.2 tubes in my 2.5 Hookworms, and I have not (knock wood) gotten a flat in many months.

I do drops, stairs, a little "Red Bull Urban", and basic commuting. Obviously having a super heavy tire prevents most punctures, but I was worried about pinch flats, but so far nothin.

I noticed the word "thin" on all the Specialized tubes. I wouldn't worry about it, considering it is printed on every tube.

madfatter

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
What tires/PSI are you running? What do you weigh?[/QUOTE]

Kenda Nevegals, 2.3. Come stock on a Heckler. Thinking about getting some 2.1 continentals for training though.

madfatter

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
Oh, I weigh 180, don't know the PSI. I guess I should get a pump that reads that. I guess softer in the front, harder in the rear? Maybe 60psi?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im 190. I have run Specialized thins 1.5/2.2 in all my tires for the last 5 years and no problems. Right now I am running them in a Maxxis Minion 2.5 and a 2.7. I have had two flats all season and I have ridden all over BC Canada. I have to keep the 2.5 at 35 psi and the 2.7 at 30 psi. A lot of my ridding has been at resorts and the tubes are in their second pair of tires.

Its all about air pressure. Check the pressure once a week.