Quantcast

Got a ticket on my bicycle...

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
I believe that it will not affect your insurance because it will not give you any "points". It's an infraction I believe, but either way that's how it works. You can get DUI's on bikes too. I am not sure if the officer needs to be there for you to get the fine but I ALWAYS show in court. If they don't show you can get it thrown out. If it's just a fine that you HAVE to pay then they normally reduce it for your appearance. Sucks for you. H

J

JRB

I was wondering where mack has been. I now know he has been planning a full scale "dumb ass" attack.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Jabuttri said:
he wont rally through a field to catch you
But if he did youd be caught. Everyone always says to run from the cops when your on a bike... but does anyone actually do it? Running from the police is far more serious a crime than running a stop sign.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
manimal said:
Tada!

um...what kind of douche writes a ticket to a cyclist? my brother got a speeding ticket on his road bike in a school zone.

weird. not worth my time if you ask me.
Well it was in Redwood City, not only a suburb of SF, but only one town over from Palo Alto, the hq for bike nazi enforcement. As soon I as got the flashing lights, I knew what I was getting pulled over for.

Conversely, in SF one early morning, in my car I rolled through 3 stop signs in a row right in front of police cars. Not one cop stopped me, and it dawned on me if there were 3 cruisers in my neighborhood, they must be looking for a real criminal.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Woman dies in bicycle collision

Cyclist charged with manslaughter after hitting, killing Corvallis pedestrian

By REBECCA BARRETT
Gazette-Times reporter

A 71-year-old Corvallis woman has died and a 51-year-old man is in jail after a fatal collision between a bicyclist and pedestrian Friday night in front of Chintimini Senior Center.

Corvallis Police say Jean Calder, 71, had the right of way and was crossing Northwest Tyler Avenue when she was struck by a bicycle ridden by Christopher A. Lightning, who was riding east on Tyler just before 9 p.m.

Calder died Friday at Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center.

Lightning has been charged with manslaughter and reckless driving and is in the Benton County jail, according to Corvallis Police Capt. Ron Noble.

People at the senior center for the weekly Friday Night Dance Club at the time of the crash said that there were many cars parked along the sides of the street that night. And though it was dark, witnesses said the intersection was well-lit by street lights at the time of the crash.

There are stop signs on Tyler where the residential street intersects with 27th Street.

Lightening, who lives at 528 N.W. 28th St., was less than a block from his house, and was traveling in the opposite direction when he collided with Calder.

Calder was a volunteer instructor with the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) of Benton County's Family-to-Family education program. She lived on Northwest 30th Street, a few blocks south from where the crash occurred.

George Calder, Jean Calder's husband, said his wife was walking with a friend at the time of the crash. The friend had just departed in a different direction and Calder was heading home when she was hit by the bicycle.

Jean Calder was doing the 10,000 steps-a-day exercise program and enjoyed going on walks.

"She was a very healthy person," George Calder said.

Jean Calder lived in Corvallis from 1970 to 1980 and then moved to Portland. She married George Calder in 1985, and the couple moved to Corvallis when they retired in 1995.

Jean Calder was involved with NAMI and its clients and families. George Calder said it was very difficult breaking the news of his wife's death to her friends and those who knew her through volunteer activities.

"The sad part is telling the people my wife volunteered with and tried to help," he said Sunday.

The family is suggesting people make memorial donations to NAMI, or the charity of their choice, in care of McHenry Funeral Home. Service arrangements are pending.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
I got a ticket on my bike for failure to stop as well. I went through a stop sign at about 45mph in a 25mph zone. I was lucky not to get a speeding ticket as well. I had recently been cited in my car for rolling through a stop sign and went to traffic school for it so I couldn't go to traffic school for the bike incident and had to pay the ticket. I did get a point on my driving record and my insurance did go up a little bit.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BSEVEER said:
I got a ticket on my bike for failure to stop as well. I went through a stop sign at about 45mph in a 25mph zone. I was lucky not to get a speeding ticket as well. I had recently been cited in my car for rolling through a stop sign
Sounds like you is dumber than a jar of frogs, boy........... :p

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
I had a freind get a dwi on his bike once. Sucked for him but I thought it was hillarious

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
wow I'm skepitcal about that story with the old woman getting killed, unless see had a heart attack or suffered trama to the head how who she die?? unless this guys was riding some massive DH rig with a supermonster and 2.8's.

Honestly any cop that has the time to stop a biker for speeding or running a stop sign wow. There's way more important things that can be taken care of besides that.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
got a failure to stop ticket on my mtb in college. fine was 35$ on the ticket. DID NOT go on my driving record or insurance because it was not a motor vehicle. took it to court, judge laughed at the cop, basically called him an #sshole, dropped my fine, but kept the ticket "on file". we ALLWAYS rode drunk. easiest way to not get a dui in ellensburg was to ride your bike home from the bars. we considered it the responsible thing to do. you're only gonna hurt yourself riding drunk. we all know what a drunk behind the wheel can do. the police in town actually praised us for not driving, and thought it was great we were smart enough to care if we actually hurt someone else.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I run 4 ways on my bike if there's no cars...I also have a nasty habit of running reds. :]

Got a warning for going 45 in a 30 on my roadie.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Woman dies in bicycle collision

Cyclist charged with manslaughter after hitting, killing Corvallis pedestrian

By REBECCA BARRETT
Gazette-Times reporter

A 71-year-old Corvallis woman has died and a 51-year-old man is in jail after a fatal collision between a bicyclist and pedestrian Friday night in front of Chintimini Senior Center.

Corvallis Police say Jean Calder, 71, had the right of way and was crossing Northwest Tyler Avenue when she was struck by a bicycle ridden by Christopher A. Lightning, who was riding east on Tyler just before 9 p.m.
Funny enough, this person and I were both riding a titanium road bike with 2 Niterider lights:

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_091105_news_cyclist_charged.4a5f2729.html