Quantcast

got bored, heres a few bouldering pics..not very good ones though

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
...these are some i am deleting off the computer. thought i would post em cause my eyes are bugging out of my head from staring at over 2000 photos....

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think those are pretty cool! Bouldering is fun. Rope climbing is fun, but more of a pain in the ass and is more life/death requiring lots of caution/attention to detail.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
mtnbrider said:
I think those are pretty cool! Bouldering is fun. Rope climbing is fun, but more of a pain in the ass and is more life/death requiring lots of caution/attention to detail.
yeah i am a boulderer at heart. have done quite a bit of rope climbing i just prefer bouldering. really hard moves right off the deck and make no mistake you can get really hurt bouldering especially where these pictures were taken....

lots of problems in the 15 to 30 foot range.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the injuries are mostly along the line of broken legs/ankles and dislocated shoulders however.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i want to get into bouldering. i have a friend who's a pretty good rock climber so i need to go with him so i can learn the ropes.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
gnurider1080 said:
i want to get into bouldering. i have a friend who's a pretty good rock climber so i need to go with him so i can learn the ropes.

its a very complimentary sport to riding. all ya need is some climbing shoes and chalk and a pad. a sack nuggets, an i-pod with portable speakers, some food to munch on, a flask with whiskey and a few other items are all great additions however.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BurlyShirley said:
what are those plants?
they are called trilliums(also known in some regions as stinkin willy due to their pungent odor). Everything at this climbing area is beginning to bloom.

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
biggins said:
its a very complimentary sport to riding. all ya need is some climbing shoes and chalk and a pad. a sack nuggets, an i-pod with portable speakers, some food to munch on, a flask with whiskey and a few other items are all great additions however.
Nice list there ben, do you still own a bike ??

If you do we should meet up for a ride soon...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Curiouscaptian01 said:
Nice list there ben, do you still own a bike ??

If you do we should meet up for a ride soon...
i really wish i did....but i dont. i do have a line on a hardtail frame (letoy)that i am going to be picking up and i have started amassing a pile of used parts. Man i miss riding.its strange though cause as much fun as ripping downhill and trails can be i miss urban and dirtjumping a lot more.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
biggins said:
they are called trilliums(also known in some regions as stinkin willy due to their pungent odor). Everything at this climbing area is beginning to bloom.
great shots! I haven't been out bouldering in at least 2 years... it is a great compliment to riding I agree:thumb:

as for the flowers those are beautiful, this is the type I usually see around us...Trillium
that is not my photo but you get to see what we have in our area!!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
brungeman said:
great shots! I haven't been out bouldering in at least 2 years... it is a great compliment to riding I agree:thumb:

as for the flowers those are beautiful, this is the type I usually see around us...Trillium
that is not my photo but you get to see what we have in our area!!!
damn thats a big ol bed of em. we get the redish colored ones and the white ones in these parts. i have been out of climbing for about 5 years (all biking all the time)but now that i dont own any more bikes this is the next logical thing to do.It also does not seem ot hurt my arm anywhere remotely as bad as riding.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
biggins said:
damn thats a big ol bed of em. we get the redish colored ones and the white ones in these parts. i have been out of climbing for about 5 years (all biking all the time)but now that i dont own any more bikes this is the next logical thing to do.It also does not seem ot hurt my arm anywhere remotely as bad as riding.
Yeah in a related post about housing... I was ranting about how housing plans just bulldoze everything and put up these cookie cutter houses... well one plan started to flag this hillside and valley for roads and utilities... and some locals got all pissed and filed injunctions etc. because the hillside had some rare trillium on it that wasn't found many other places... the courts made the housing developer transplant all the trillium, and build a nature walk before building... :thumb: score one for the good guys!!! the patched that are on that nature walk behind "TRILLIUM RIDGE" homes is a huge mat like those in the pics!!!

I wasn't around to hear what happened to your arm, but I would imagine tension hurts less than compression?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
brungeman said:
Yeah in a related post about housing... I was ranting about how housing plans just bulldoze everything and put up these cookie cutter houses... well one plan started to flag this hillside and valley for roads and utilities... and some locals got all pissed and filed injunctions etc. because the hillside had some rare trillium on it that wasn't found many other places... the courts made the housing developer transplant all the trillium, and build a nature walk before building... :thumb: score one for the good guys!!! the patched that are on that nature walk behind "TRILLIUM RIDGE" homes is a huge mat like those in the pics!!!

I wasn't around to hear what happened to your arm, but I would imagine tension hurts less than compression?
thats awesome. a small step for preservations sake is better than no step at all.

i crushed my arm riding street.

got it full of metal now and synthetic bone and stitched together tendons.

its in this video:http://www.dcstreet.com/video/asheville2004.wmv

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I only boulder at the gym...the idea of bouldering outside, man I dunno - takes some cajones for sure. I prefer roped climbing I think - it's harder on the head to turn around and see the ground 100' below, and ya, you can't afford any mistakes with your rope and stuff, but bouldering seems more dangerous because falling 30' up and hitting a rock, or having a bad spotter is a great way to break something important.
Course, what am I saying? I'm the big ole chicken who can flash up to 11b on top rope, but is afraid to onsite climb anything in the 5.10's and have only lead 5.10b slabs to date...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Jr_Bullit said:
I only boulder at the gym...the idea of bouldering outside, man I dunno - takes some cajones for sure. I prefer roped climbing I think - it's harder on the head to turn around and see the ground 100' below, and ya, you can't afford any mistakes with your rope and stuff, but bouldering seems more dangerous because falling 30' up and hitting a rock, or having a bad spotter is a great way to break something important.
Course, what am I saying? I'm the big ole chicken who can flash up to 11b on top rope, but is afraid to onsite climb anything in the 5.10's and have only lead 5.10b slabs to date...
hehe slabs are real sketchy. there is a route here in nc, 145 feet long it has one old school small 1/4 inch thick bolt at the halfway mark and on certain days you can pull it out by hand. thats just the first pitch. there is also a place called stone mountain which is pretty much nothing but sketchy slabs its where you employ the "running belay" the gear is so far apart that the belayer remains unanchored on the ground, if the lead climber falls the belayer locks down on the rope and takes off running as fast as they can to take in rop and keep the leader from decking.

mmmm north carolina...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
first, bouldering kicks ass. I haven't done so much of the bouldering you showed here though. I like finding fields of boulders and playing hot lava, where you can't touch the ground. Jumping and climbing from rock to rock to get across the field.

second, i think i'm going to puke! dude you straight ****ed your wrist up! holy sh!t man how'd it heal up? any restrictions on movement?

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
biggins said:
hehe slabs are real sketchy. there is a route here in nc, 145 feet long it has one old school small 1/4 inch thick bolt at the halfway mark and on certain days you can pull it out by hand. thats just the first pitch. there is also a place called stone mountain which is pretty much nothing but sketchy slabs its where you employ the "running belay" the gear is so far apart that the belayer remains unanchored on the ground, if the lead climber falls the belayer locks down on the rope and takes off running as fast as they can to take in rop and keep the leader from decking.

mmmm north carolina...
Slabs are sort of my best area - I'm great anything vertical to slabby with tiny holds. So far, steep and juggy is really hard for me - primarily as a result of the holds also being a bit of a stretch for me with few intermediary holds. Slabs - there's always something to smear to get me a few inches higher to reach the next hold. Before I was climbing 5.9 overhangs I was climbing 5.11- slabs. :) Technical smeary footwork and tiny crimpers...mmmm - my favorite was this dicey traverse on a blank face. Armspan was too short by a lot to reach from positive slight incut sidepull, so I was smearing the pads of my fingertips on a near vertical face and smearing my feet - I was like gecko girl. Super cool..!

Steve and I never anchor to the ground - dynamic belays are the best. :) On a few of his climbs, his whips pull me 15 feet or higher off the ground. Running belays are also common for me if he falls below the 2nd bolt - as he always pulls me up/in. When I fall, Steve puts a bit of a jump into it to make the catch softer.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Here's a couple pics - this one is on a climb called 'Red Heat' at Red Rocks - 150' of vertical and slabby technical climbing...5.10d. Yep - I'm on toprope, primarily because I don't know how to place my own pro yet...that'll be a challenge for this summer. :)

Attachments

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Jr_Bullit said:
Here's a couple pics - this one is on a climb called 'Red Heat' at Red Rocks - 150' of vertical and slabby technical climbing...5.10d. Yep - I'm on toprope, primarily because I don't know how to place my own pro yet...that'll be a challenge for this summer. :)
where are the pics? iwanna see!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
boostindoubles said:
first, bouldering kicks ass. I haven't done so much of the bouldering you showed here though. I like finding fields of boulders and playing hot lava, where you can't touch the ground. Jumping and climbing from rock to rock to get across the field.

second, i think i'm going to puke! dude you straight ****ed your wrist up! holy sh!t man how'd it heal up? any restrictions on movement?
yeah broke the scaphoid in my wrist as well as the tops of both forearm bones, dislocated hand, thumb and wrist, compound fracture (where the blood is) torn tendons and whatnot.

36 staples, internal stitching in my tendons, 4 bolts 1 plate 2 pins, 2 long threaded pins 3.5 months in a cast 3 months of therapy and $27,000.00 later i will never have more than 50% range of movement in my arm and it hurts all the time (broke it almost 2 years ago).

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Wow!!! :looney: that is jacked up!!! some sweet footage in the video though!!! How many times have you watched the footage and thought only another 2.5" and I wouldn't have even touched that wall and all would have been good!!!? I mean damn does that suck!!!

BTW was that "The Bronx" in the first music clip? they have a few songs I use to get fired up for going big... they help me get into a rhythm (mostly while skiing and boarding but also biking) :thumb:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
brungeman said:
Wow!!! :looney: that is jacked up!!! some sweet footage in the video though!!! How many times have you watched the footage and thought only another 2.5" and I wouldn't have even touched that wall and all would have been good!!!? I mean damn does that suck!!!

BTW was that "The Bronx" in the first music clip? they have a few songs I use to get fired up for going big... they help me get into a rhythm (mostly while skiing and boarding but also biking) :thumb:
actually the point was to hit the gap and manual down the wall which i have done 4 times before that day. the lame thing was that it was only about 45 minutes into the street ride and i had a pile of people chillin at my house from out of town and the comp was the next day.

i know there Aesop Rock on there, the 11:35 pm song i dont know who else is on it. if you ask Corey DCSTREET on here he will be able to tell you since he is the one that put it to music. the worst thing about the whole wreck is thatPhil didnt actually get me impacting the ground he turned his head and watched but didnt turn the camera to film.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Jr_Bullit said:

damn girl gettin some guns on ya! my girl has gotten way into bouldering (thats her the pic sittin inside the boulder) and is waaaaay strong.its hot.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
biggins said:
actually the point was to hit the gap and manual down the wall which i have done 4 times before that day. the lame thing was that it was only about 45 minutes into the street ride and i had a pile of people chillin at my house from out of town and the comp was the next day.

i know there Aesop Rock on there, the 11:35 pm song i dont know who else is on it. if you ask Corey DCSTREET on here he will be able to tell you since he is the one that put it to music. the worst thing about the whole wreck is thatPhil didnt actually get me impacting the ground he turned his head and watched but didnt turn the camera to film.
Ok now I see... at first I thought you were just trying to huck the gap and clear the wall to grass transition...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Morryjg said:
A few of my favorite bouldering pics from Morrison

word, snow o nthe ground means good friction on the holds. that stuff looks cool. lemme know if you ever make it out this way. some of the premier bouldering in the US is here.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
biggins said:
i really wish i did....but i dont. i do have a line on a hardtail frame (letoy)that i am going to be picking up and i have started amassing a pile of used parts. Man i miss riding.its strange though cause as much fun as ripping downhill and trails can be i miss urban and dirtjumping a lot more.
You can ride my fly if you want to meet up in pisgah sometime soon. We've done a couple of really tight rides in the last few weeks.

By the way, bouldering looks so tight. Also, I'll probably have a nice fork for a street hardtail if you want it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
T-Pirate said:
You can ride my fly if you want to meet up in pisgah sometime soon. We've done a couple of really tight rides in the last few weeks.
word, i may very well be down some rippage. iam so lacking in rippage that i had to go rip in my car just to feel some speed under my ass for a change. i have a line on a letoy frame that i might be able to get for next to niothign as well as some old parts from friends that i can use to build it up. I will be back in the game but unfortunately i wont be back o na full susser for quite some time (like a couple of years when i finish school and get a job that can pay for it). gimme a call closer to the weekend.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
oooh fork huh? we shoudl talk about that. i dont have a whole lot in the line of money for the next couple of years but maybe we can work something out. fork and wheelset is where i will be lacking the most on getting my urban ride built up once i get the frame.