Quantcast

got hit by the "two weeks" train

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
Ordered a Mondraker Summum in the black limited Team Edition in September.
German distributor told my dealer that it will be delivered in February to March 2011. Then in February the old "two weeks" story started. You know what that means.

Today they finally told my dealer that I will not get a limited edition frame.
That sucks. In the bicycle industry you have them all, the nicest guys and the biggest assholes. :rant:

After that absolutely do not want to buy a Summum any more.

Unfortunately these suckers are also the distributor for Santa Cruz and Banshee in Germany.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Ordered a Mondraker Summum in the black limited Team Edition in September.
German distributor told my dealer that it will be delivered in February to March 2011. Then in February the old "two weeks" story started. You know what that means.

Today they finally told my dealer that I will not get a limited edition frame.
That sucks. In the bicycle industry you have them all, the nicest guys and the biggest assholes. :rant:

After that absolutely do not want to buy a Summum any more.

Unfortunately these suckers are also the distributor for Santa Cruz and Banshee in Germany.
Wait - you ordered one and you wont get it? They will give you a different frame? I can understand delays it happens with all the frames but not giving you what you ordered sucks. I know my Legend last year was 2 week-ed by a month or so but I got what I wanted.
In your place Id cancell the order and try to get it from other contries (do not try Poland, our local mondraker/banshee distro also sucks). Maybe look for a bigger shop that stocks frames/bikes.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Get a Nicolai
That idea I can get behind. The new geo of the ION ST is nice and they look amazing. Its one of the very few bikes I want as bad as I want to keep my legend. Though if you want to get custom you have to wait a bit for your Nic so that may be a problem.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that sucks. cancel your order and demand your money back. easy case in small claims, failure to provide a product purchased.

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
Ok, my dealer managed to get a good deal for a Banshee Legend from them.
So my 2011 ride seems to be canadian instead of spanish (yeah i know they all come from Taiwan).

AND the Legend will be here in two weeks. :D

Get a Nicolai
Thought about that, service is great and quality of their frames is superb.
My 02 Nicolai is still going strong.

Last edited:

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
i traded my legend for a summum, two very different bikes. :)

either rides amazing but in such different ways.

;)

and to make stiks happy, even in denmark the intense DH rides are starting to shift.. hell i might get one too, i know i loved my old SS in babyblue :D i guess ill have to get an M9 in that eventually hehe

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i traded my legend for a summum, two very different bikes. :)

either rides amazing but in such different ways.

;)

and to make stiks happy, even in denmark the intense DH rides are starting to shift.. hell i might get one too, i know i loved my old SS in babyblue :D i guess ill have to get an M9 in that eventually hehe
Can you compare?

RedOne - Im a huge legend so keep it as long as the deal is good. Is mondraker underproducing bikes like it was the case last year?

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
intense ftw,and stickman extra ftw.

I dont think I'll ever have a nother bike brand other then intense.
The service cannot even compare.

Compagnys should work on having a PR guy like stick.
FTFW

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
Stik, get a different distributor for Denmark. They suck!

DH in Denmark :rofl: ;)
yup morons are all over, at least back up your statements instead of random troll comments.

DH isnt just places that require lift services.

And to Norbar.

Comparing the legend to a Summum

THe legend rails stuff, and plows anything you come across- or at least thats what i did, but at the same time it felt a bit like a tanker at times.
It requires a firm hand to get the most form it.

The summum, while having only had a few rides on it, feels more willing to do anything you think of doing, or rather it requires a lot less effort to get it moving in different directions, it just feels lighter to ride, easier to pop off everything and in general more playful.

But at the same time, just like the legend- urges you to go faster, and feel more confident doing it.

So Same end result but different ways going about it

I dont regret making the switch- but at the same time i would not think twice if i had to pick a different frame to recommend :)

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
I'm coming from a Morewood Izimu, so both the Legend and the Summum are way different in many aspects to my last ride.

I will discuss it with my dealer and friend at a BBQ tonight.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
yup morons are all over, at least back up your statements instead of random troll comments.

DH isnt just places that require lift services.

And to Norbar.

Comparing the legend to a Summum

THe legend rails stuff, and plows anything you come across- or at least thats what i did, but at the same time it felt a bit like a tanker at times.
It requires a firm hand to get the most form it.

The summum, while having only had a few rides on it, feels more willing to do anything you think of doing, or rather it requires a lot less effort to get it moving in different directions, it just feels lighter to ride, easier to pop off everything and in general more playful.

But at the same time, just like the legend- urges you to go faster, and feel more confident doing it.

So Same end result but different ways going about it

I dont regret making the switch- but at the same time i would not think twice if i had to pick a different frame to recommend :)

Thats kinda why I like it. You rarely feel you are going too fast on a legend. I know its not popy but i wouldnt call it a plow bike. Its just a bike for hacks and people who like to power your bike trough the trails. Its not as fun on dhbmx but when it gets rough I smile like a madman.
I was also thinking about the summum but the frame is too light for my crashing frenzy. Maybe a bike like the summum would make me smoother but I think I tend to test stupid line choices waaay to far for my skill level so Id dent it faster. If only they made a summum HD with that extra muscle Id gladly try it ;)

As for CS - Many companies have great CS. Stick is amazing but as it has been said many local distris and reps suck and companies should really be more up to date with their dealer reputation among bikers. I know for a fact the local banshee distributor is basicly blocking sales for half of their lineup (legend, amp, rampant) and some people have to go over them yet nothing changes. Yet at the same time Keith, Jay and Rob are great guys. Same is the case with a few other companies.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Thats kinda why I like it. You rarely feel you are going too fast on a legend. I know its not popy but i wouldnt call it a plow bike. Its just a bike for hacks and people who like to power your bike trough the trails. Its not as fun on dhbmx but when it gets rough I smile like a madman.
I was also thinking about the summum but the frame is too light for my crashing frenzy. Maybe a bike like the summum would make me smoother but I think I tend to test stupid line choices waaay to far for my skill level so Id dent it faster. If only they made a summum HD with that extra muscle Id gladly try it ;)
As I was the person who swapped with Deano i'll quantify it from the other angle of the swap.

I had my Summum for about 12 months before the swap - did a few races and spent a few weeks out in the Alps on it so got a decent amount of riding with the bike.

Durability was good, for a light frame. No dents or dings, despite some nasty rocky UK tracks & sh*tty UK uplifts. The frame was also pretty stiff cinsidering its weight. Few minor design flaws - the internal cable routing is absolutely useless. The gear cable takes such a wierd route it makes shifting sluggish, and if you run vraided hoses, the rear brake cable is impossible to feed through the chainstay. Also the cables rattle like hell in the downtube. The machine work in the rear triangle bracing is a magnet for mud, which in the UK is a bit of an issue.

I'm aware this all sounds very negative most of the above is silly little niggles more than anything, but since being on the Legend I have a bit more of a perspective on the ride of the bike. Let this be a lesson to checking the numbers before you buy!

When I got the bike & got used to it, I couldn't work out why all of a sudden I was struggling to keep up with guys I ride & race with. I went from racing & beating, to going to 10-15 seconds back - I put it down to getting used to the bike & maybe they had just improved, so I needed to step up a bit, which resulted in a lot of crashing. The bike felt nice when crusing down tracks, really playfull & poppy but when I pushed, it became really nervous and twitchy and on steep stuff it felt like I was way too far foward on the bike. I ended up running with 9" stanchion to raise the front up as high as I could & it was still lower than everyone else bike I rode with! As a result, I basically rode like a douchebag for 12 months - either crashing my brains out or being way back off the pace.

What it boiled down to, I believe is the whack sizing of the bike. I'm 6'2" and have alwas ridden M frames, never had an issue before, so just assumed a medium would be all good. However the medium Summum is basically the same TT as a small Sunday, i.e. pretty small! Coupled with a wheelbase of 3" longer than a small Sunday, it made a bit of sense to me, I needed a large, probably even an XL if they made one! It was a real annoyance, because if the bike was big enough I think I would have been all good with it.

So we swapped, as Deano's Legend was too big for him and by the looks of things it seems to have worked out for both of us - sorry Dean I did mean to PM you see how you were getting on with it!

The Legend is 2" longer in the TT and about 1.5" shorter in the WB than the Summum, and it certainly makes a difference.The first time I rode it, I scared myself silly. This thing corners like nothing I have ever ridden, it felt really fast and really predictable, but seems to encourage you to ride like a hooligan. The biggest difference though is the sizing, which I think helps with the jumping side of things, i'm no longer scared to hit the jumps I always did previously as its so much more stable in the air.

I still think the Summum is a good bike, despite the little niggles in the design, however in hindsight it was way too small and I stupidly put up with it for 12 months before the eureka moment.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
C, there is a trick, those internal cable routings, the very small bottom ones, they are where the cabl ties go :) the cable doesnt go through there with the 90 degree bend.

and let me tell ya it makes a lot of difference to the shifting ;) ive been running with how you had it, and now i run it the correct way, and smooth as..

the downtube rattle is a pain, so i showed some foam down the tube around the hose.. and now no noise :)

but main thing.. sizing.. this thing is barely bog enough for me at 5'9 and C running it at 6'2.. no wonder he felt cramped up, i am just on the verge of tipping over the top but its just perfect for me now :) and i usually prefer bikes on the smaller side of things too

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
For good shifting just run Nokon. Internal routing is nice looking but is a PITA if you need to change it/do it again.

-C- For the Legend I agree. It wants you to ride like a crazy loonatic. I usually have the most fun on mine on the silly lines on harsh tracks.

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
I had the chance to ride a friends M sized Legend. It had the same numbers for chainstay length and wheelbase but felt a lot shorter than my Morewood Izimu. That might be caused by the slacker headangle and shorter toptube/reach or by the fact that it was undersprung and felt a bit like folding under me.
I am 6'1". Ordered the Summum in Large, same for the Legend.

Last year I couldn't decide what bike to get next. It was the lower price and the look of the limited edition frame that made me turn towards the Mondraker.

I think both are great frames with interesting suspension designs. With a bit more attention to detail from the developer(s) of the Legend and maybe the more efficient kinematics on the Summum.
Both are made to go fast, faster than I am able to.

Just have to order a new set of cranks and a headset for the legend (making it even more expensive).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The 83mm cranks on the Legend will go on your future dh bikes as 83mm is the standard. 73on the summum wouldn't ;)

As for Sizing - yes the medium legend feels smallish compared to older school bikes. Large is a good choice. Imho M is for people up to 5'10''-5'11''

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
The 83mm cranks on the Legend will go on your future dh bikes as 83mm is the standard. 73on the summum wouldn't ;)

As for Sizing - yes the medium legend feels smallish compared to older school bikes. Large is a good choice. Imho M is for people up to 5'10''-5'11''
Sure, but the 73mm are already laying in my parts bin. ;)
Could stick em on my DMR Sidekick to replace the good old RF Northshore cranks.

Glad I have that Sidekick to rail my local trails with.